autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Ceramic coating peeling?

I recently ceramic coated a friends car with Cquartz a week ago. He call me today saying that the car felt like a "sugar" texture with white
    Powder. I'm assuming this powder is the ceramic. This is really strange coming from a ceramic. I have done a few ceramics, but this is the first time I seen or heard anything happening like this. He show me a video and you can see little white dots on the paint. I advised him to not wash it by hand, but instead a touch less if possible since he's really concern. I don't want him to damage the paint with an improper wash of this ceramic power on the car.
    Advice would be greatly appreciated to understand what went wrong on my end, I don't know what to myself either. I know ceramic could high spot, but this is completely out of the norm and my knowledge.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ceramic coating peeling?

Cquartz does not do that. Coatings don't peel like this. You should ask your friend where the car has been driven or parked. Things like that. Give it a wash and see how the coating responds.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Cquartz does not do that. Coatings don't peel like this. You should ask your friend where the car has been driven or parked. Things like that. Give it a wash and see how the coating responds.
    I told him to leave the car in the garage for 5 days to cure. He took it out on a sunny a few days ago. He parks at work under a concrete parking structure.
    I told him not to wash it by hand and that I will wash it for him or he can touch less if he's that concern. Don't want to ruin all the work for nothing
    I still need to see it in person.

Thank you for info

Post Thanks / Like

Not the ceramic. Likely some type of fallout settled on the surface. Coatings won't peel or flake. They are microns thin.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Agree. That is why high spots, despite being thick, unremoved, deposits of coatings are still smooth to the touch. The solids bond with the surface as the carrier solvents evaporate. Even high spot areas won't crystalize, shrink, flake, etc which would lead to a gritty surface.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Ceramic Coatings won't do that. I'm guessing something from the "Concrete Parking Structure" may have dripped on the vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the advice everyone! After I posted this and gave myself some time to think about it and relax I do believe it's just dirty. My friend was panicking and I reassure him it wasn't bad, but he believe something was wrong, which made me panic from his panic. I did ask him if was mainly on the hood. He said the "crystal" stuff was only from the top half of the door and the hood of the car, which makes me believe it's dirty.
    As for the "crystal" texture I believe it is from the parking structure because this does happen to my car sometimes, due to my garage being made of cement or stone (I don't know what to call it). I'm still going to inspect it and was it properly and teach him how to maintain his car.

Appreciate all the support!