autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: High pH soap?

Post Thanks / Like

High pH soap?

Is there any benefit to occasionally using a product, like Max Power Car Wash Soap, where you can bump the pH to over 10 to help clean the surface of your car? Ideally, a well protected paint will clean easier, therefore a good lubricious soap that is pH neutral/balanced is what you should use to retain the underlying wax/sealant. I have used the TW Max Power soap and at full strength the pH is 10.2. If keeping the surface as clean and contaminant free as possible, would using this at full strength every now and then be beneficial?

From what I've read, soaps with high pH levels don't remove sealants. They "may" removing some existing recently applied waxes however.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: High pH soap?

Quote Originally Posted by NJNinja View Post
    Is there any benefit to occasionally using a product, like Max Power Car Wash Soap, where you can bump the pH to over 10 to help clean the surface of your car? Ideally, a well protected paint will clean easier, therefore a good lubricious soap that is pH neutral/balanced is what you should use to retain the underlying wax/sealant. I have used the TW Max Power soap and at full strength the pH is 10.2. If keeping the surface as clean and contaminant free as possible, would using this at full strength every now and then be beneficial?

From what I've read, soaps with high pH levels don't remove sealants. They "may" removing some existing recently applied waxes however.
    It's my understanding that high pH soaps can degrade sealants.....maybe not remove them. I only resort to higher pH soaps if I'm getting ready for a full decon/detail, and I want whatever is left to either be removed or degraded. The vehicles I maintain on a regular basis rarely, if ever, get that bad otherwise.

3. Likes CleanIT liked this post