autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

APC dilution ratio for paint and tires?

Hello
    What APC dilution should I use for paint. I want to remove old wax. And what APC dilution I should use for tires? I want to remove old coat from tires and put new dressing. If that matters I have ADBL APC.

Mike Phillips

Re: APC dilution ratio for paint and tires?

I never use APC to chemically strip paint so I don't know what to tell you about that. I would prefer just to polish the paint. Polishing will remove everything plus remove defects plus make the paint look good.

As for tires? probably a 4:1 ratio? Most APCs on the market come with dilution recommendations.

Post Thanks / Like

It depends on the brand of APC you are using.
    Most APCs and degreasers are both alkaline base / wheel cleaners are usually PH neutral or acidic.

It basically boils down to the PH of the product at the specific dilution ratio + specific surfactants in it and what you want to clean.
    - Organic residue like petroleum oils/grease can be removed with alkaline.
    - Mineral deposits (hard water), oxidation, insoluble oxides are best removed with acidic cleaners... also is MAY etch metal if the PH is too low (low number), so be careful.

0-1 PH = pure acid like HCL / battery acids
    7 PH = water
    12-14 PH = things like bleach / lye

I would check the MSDS sheet of the product to see what the PH level is and see what anyone else says about the product on the web.

4. Likes UncleDavy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dredogol View Post
    It depends on the brand of APC you are using.
    Most APCs and degreasers are both alkaline base / wheel cleaners are usually PH neutral or acidic.

It basically boils down to the PH of the product at the specific dilution ratio + specific surfactants in it and what you want to clean.
    - Organic residue like petroleum oils/grease can be removed with alkaline.
    - Mineral deposits (hard water), oxidation, insoluble oxides are best removed with acidic cleaners... also is MAY etch metal if the PH is too low (low number), so be careful.

0-1 PH = pure acid like HCL / battery acids
    7 PH = water
    12-14 PH = things like bleach / lye

I would check the MSDS sheet of the product to see what the PH level is and see what anyone else says about the product on the web.
    Most cleaners are alkaline since most stains are acidic. Think about what most people spill inside of their cars like coffee, juice, ketchup, blood etc. The MSDS sheet of the cleaner will give you the pH range of the product. Use this handy online calculator for the values of the dilution ratios. Use 1 as the original volume.

Chemical Calculator: Dilution of Bases and Acids

The formula for a base is original pH - (-log (initial volume/new volume))
    The formula for an acid is original pH + (log (initial volume/new volume))

Any cleaner that is considered to be pH neutral has a range between 6 and 8.
    I believe in treating everybody with respect, and clean cars. That’s what I believe in.

6. Likes robwoodgto liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I never use APC to chemically strip paint so I don't know what to tell you about that. I would prefer just to polish the paint. Polishing will remove everything plus remove defects plus make the paint look good.

As for tires? probably a 4:1 ratio? Most APCs on the market come with dilution recommendations.

Interesting Mike. Would you lightly polish a hood for instance just to make it pop that hasn't been clayed in about 1 year? I'm lazy lol I done a nice bit of work on the back end of my car the last few weeks, preping and coating in my driveway - which was a learning experience lol

But i have to leave for work in a few days for 4 weeks and was thinking i might just do a quick polish on my bonnet with an AIO - Gyeon primer.

When i get back in july i plan on using Rupes da fine and pad and claying the panel. Maybe use a compound if necessary but i doubt it.....

Post Thanks / Like

If you are not willing/able to put in the effort to polish, you might look in to some of the "stripping" washes available ... not sure if there are any for sale in the AG store though ...

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: APC dilution ratio for paint and tires?

using an apc on the paint will dry it out, make it look dull and could leave streaks. if you aren't going to polish, it wouldn't be a good idea to use it. you can try using it diluted 3:1 /4:1 on the tires and see how it works out. following the label (directions) would be the best source for what it's safe and recommended to use it on so there are no surprises afterwards...

Post Thanks / Like

True, APCs will dry the clear coat... same with IPAs.
    NEVER use full strength APC/Degreasers on paint!
    I only do an APC wash for my daily driver 1/yr only to apply a fresh coat and do any paint correction along with it.

My philosophy is the LESS I touch my paint, the better.
    I know some people wash their cars almost on a weekly/bi-weekly basis (who doesn't want to keep it clean )... but the more you touch it, the more you'll scratch it... guaranteed!
    I don't care how good your product/wash method is... those micro scratches/swirls you can't see easily made on every wipe with a wash towel/mitt + wax buffing adds up.

Let the products do their job and maintain a simple protective layer with the least amount of effort/touching.

Post Thanks / Like

One more question apc. Can it destroy my paint? For example I heard that IPA can damage paint if it is left too long on paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by locarno View Post
    One more question apc.
    Can it destroy my paint?

For example I heard that IPA can damage
    paint if it is left too long on paint.
    Since IPA is not an APC; then specifically:
    which APCs are you talking about?

{For instance: some people, including my-
    self, consider P21S Total Auto Wash to
    be a paint-safe APC.}

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast