autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Suggestions for Cleaning and Maintaining New 17'' Voxx Wheels

In a few weeks we'll be heading up to PA to finally have the power coater coat that spare balloon wheel for us and once completed, we're off to Discount Tire, which will be a drive of more than 3 hours from our current location. Once there, we'll have DT mount another better brand of balloon tire on the freshly coated spare wheel. But this isn't the only reason we're visiting with DT center. it's been almost 1 year since owning these Voxx wheels and crappy Nitto tires.. and you guessed it. we're getting rid of these wheels/tires and opting for something larger. I have seen 18x8 wheels on the van or even larger on the TC's but I don't want to chance the 8 inch width on our van. I was able to locate an 18x7.5 ET40 wheel and this time I'm not going to order a full set without having DT test fit at least one wheel on the van first. Once the Balloon tire has been mounted we're heading to another wheel shop to have them upgrade the struts. then I'll order that single 18X7.5 wheel as there's a 8 week backorder. Plenty of time to save up for the rest of the wheels. Plus we'll have DT run through a list of what tires would best fit our new wheels selection. I'm thinking if I have to order one wheel at a time, I'll have them sent to the powder coaters so they can ceramic coat them for me. These 18x7.5 wheels with 225/50/18 tires is the largest wheel/tire (not the widest) combo that can be mounted on the van without having to lower or raise the van. I can't wait as this would be the most expensive wheel and tire combo I would have ever purchased for any vehicle I've ever own. One thing's for sure I'll never mount a less load rated tires on our van ever again..

Post Thanks / Like

In for updates. 17s are definitely too small for a transit and I agree 18s would be a large improvement, maybe even 19s and a slight drop?

Im runnning 18x8.5 +42 on 225/40/18 tires on a 2016 focus with h&r lowering springs and like the look overall, I know its kind of an apples to oranges comparison but I thought I'd share some pics anyways lol

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

3. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Appreciate the image. tell me, what's the load rating of your federal tires? I'm restricted to what type of tires I can have mounted on the 18x7.5 because of the load rating or that Discount tire isn't willing to sell me a set of tires that do not match or accessed the vans load rated spec of more than 98 and I'm surprised that cariD sold me something that shouldn't have been on our van in the first place. I've learn my lesion with the current Voxx/Nitto set up as these are 95 load rated which is far less that what it should be. Going to have to stick with something higher that load rated of 98. So mix matching wheels with the correct load index was difficult. But DT helped me figure out which tire would be best suited for the wheel we've selected. Even with the 18's on your focus.. they look small or out of proportioned like the 17's on our van.
    As for the 19's thats a little beyond what I'm wanting to do without lowering. the van is sitting fine like it is, and the 18/225's will fill the wheel well a bit more and still clear everything.. or at least thats what the paper work says.

oh and Not only has Discount tire (corp) been speaking with me about this, Custom Offset site has had a few TC owners update their pic on the site:

Custom 2020 Ford Transit Connect Image Gallery | Custom Offsets

I mean even with all the positive images and specs, I've changed my mind about wanting a wider tire on the van because of the weather and fuel economy around Maryland.. going to try to keep the tire thin on a thin wheel. 8'' wide wheel is just too tight under our van.

Post Thanks / Like

Load rating on those particular tires is 92.

I hear ya on the driving conditions having an impact on your wheel/tire combo, I live in california and the weather is pretty mild compared to maryland.

Keep us posted on your setup

Post Thanks / Like

@SNP209 I'll be going from a 17x7.5 ET38 Voxx wheel to a 18x7.5 ET40 2Crave N26 wheel. These will be custom drilled by the manufacture to my bolt patter/specs of 5x108 M14. In a couple of weeks once the new struts have bene installed I'll pay my deposit and wait till I can get at least one will in stock then hand it over to Discount tire. From there I'm considering the Nokian One 225/50/R18 Index 99. which will give the van better handling and a stiffer tire as compared to the rubbery nitto index 95 tires.

Attachment 74964

Post Thanks / Like

Those wheels look sweet. I never considered getting wheels custom drilled to match the bolt pattern otherwise I would have probably gone with some other wheels. But then again, I probably wouldn't be able to afford it anyways.

I'm curious as to what made you want to go with an aspect ratio of 50? Was it because that particular size provided the load index you were looking for? Or do you just prefer the look overall?

Post Thanks / Like

@SNP209

One reason, is that Discount Tire Is NOT wiling to sell me a set of tires that do not meet or exceed the load index of our factory tires. In this case, the load index on the van with factory tires is 98. I inadvertently listen to CariD when purchasing a set from them and they sold me tire with a load index of 95. In fact I contacted Nitto about this and they informed me that I never should have had their tires mount on these wheels. Then they cut ties with me as CariD & Nitto wouldn't offer a refund or stand behind their products.

As for the 225/45/18 tires, these would not meet the required 98+ load index. So increasing the tires width slightly will give me a load index range from 98-100. I believe the tires we're looking at have a load index of 99.

As for the price: the Sparco wheels cost me $123.00 ea. where as the Voxx wheels cost me $168.00 ea. The 2crave will cost me $350.00 ea. And once the custom bolt pattern has been drilled there's no returning the wheels. Just another reason I'm going to have ( 1 ) wheel drilled then test fit on the van before I order the rest.

There's a couple of other wheel manufactures I contacted cause I like their wheels, but they decline to custom mill or drill a set for us. Would have been nice to see something completely custom on the van, but 2Crave is as close as one can get.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Suggestions for Cleaning and Maintaining New 17'' Voxx Wheel

Quote Originally Posted by LostInTransit View Post
    @SNP209

One reason, is that Discount Tire Is NOT wiling to sell me a set of tires that do not meet or exceed the load index of our factory tires. In this case, the load index on the van with factory tires is 98. I inadvertently listen to CariD when purchasing a set from them and they sold me tire with a load index of 95.
    Transit, Those tires are fine for your van. The difference between a load rating of 95-98 is like 125 lbs and unless you’re doing A LOT of heavy hauling you’ll never notice ANY difference. I’d just tell Discount that you’ve changed your mind and the wheels will be going on a passenger car, and put them on your van yourself. They’re just trying to CTA and possibly make an upsale in the process. I worked a a tire place for years all during college and have done many “unique” and unreccomended tire combos on many of my race/street cars without issue.

Post Thanks / Like

It's my impression that a load rating is similar to a load index but with different sets of letters/numbers. For instance a load rating uses letters while a load index uses numbers. But both have nearly the same meaning. A load rated tire of "C" will have more flex or give than a load rated tire of "E". As for a load index, a load index tire of 95 will be softer or have more flex than a load index of 99 etc. SO knowing this, I placed a lessor load index of 95 on a van that requires a load index of 98. Doing this the tires are spongy and have too much flex. Thus I needed a tire with a load index of 98 or better so the tires would not have that spongy feeling. Discount Tire has been the only one willing to help us correct the misinformation that CariD & Nitto gave and sold us. Not many companies will pick up where other companies left off or wouldn't honor their return policy. Hoping this spring or summer we'll finally get rid of those crappy Nitto tires and wheels as we're moving on to a load index of 99. But at this point I'd just as well throw these wheels and tires in the trash. You heard the ole saying; "You get what you paid for" and we got junk..

Post Thanks / Like

I didn’t read the whole thread but you are worried about load range and are reducing the sidewall by going to a larger wheel diameter? Usually that is counterintuitive, you’re going to be fighting an uphill battle finding what you want on a vehicle really not known to customizing. I’m willing to bet by the time you get it figured out the van is going to ride very rough.

A company I worked for had 5 2017 single wheel transits and at some point they needed tires. The factory tires came rated at European specs on the tires and it was a struggle to find tires with similar US specs. The tires came with a C after some numbers(it’s been awhile I don’t remember] and they assumed it was a load rating but it turned out to be a Euro made spec for commercial use. The Transit has some of the smallest tires in every metric and very few options. Good luck with your journey

12. Thanks LostInTransit thanked for this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast