autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ceramic for northern climates + salt roads

There is no coating that will hold up on lower panels to road salt.

2. Likes dwaleke, nvestr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've had great experience with CQuartz UK 2.0 and 3.0 through our mid-west winters.

After a long winter of grime and salt the beading and sheeting will be a little off, espicially on lower door panels and rear trunk/hatch area. However, after 2~3 good hand washes with a quality soap or 1 good wash with Reset, everything is back to normal and works great.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

4. Likes nvestr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Texchappy View Post
    What about chemical decontamination after the winter? That’s part of maintaining a coating.
    I Iron-X before and after winter. Does not seem to change anything with regards to water performance on the coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the responses guys

Responses to some questions:

I wash the vehicle weekly (I'll admit sometimes it goes to every 2 weeks during the winter, but still try for weekly). Every wash is with 2 capfuls of CarPro Reset in a small-ish amount of water (2 bucket method with grit guards). I Iron-X twice per year (cars are white, so I get orange rust-spotting all over the vehicle anyway). No change in apparent performance of coatings on lower panels after doing this.

Garage kept (heated)

I always dry using a Metro Blaster.

On my last vehicle (BMW X3 M40i, Alpine White as well), the coating had been applied June 2019. AFter 1 winter, there was some diminished performance on lower panels, but by second winter (this winter passed), no visibile performance at all on lower panels. Above the belt line still going strong.

I do have Gtechniq C2 that I use from time to time, although it doesn't seem to make much of a difference... if it does, it doesn't last so I don't use it too often...

Appreciate the feedback - I am interested in CQUK 3 based on comments above. Also looking forward to getting BudgetPlan's comments on ISM 2.0

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting observation on the vertical vs. horizontal panels, as my experience (with CQUK anyway) has been the opposite - the vertical panels sheet water crazy fast, but the horizontal surfaces have been significantly degraded in comparison, which is what I expected. The car is outside all of the time, in southern New England.

Post Thanks / Like

I have CSL no EXO on both my vehicles, one is going on 3 years and I am just noticing this on the lower panels but after 3 years Im ok with that. The other is one year in and things are holding up GREAT. This is Upstate NY so lots of road salt.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

9. Likes hoyt66 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    I have CSL no EXO on both my vehicles, one is going on 3 years and I am just noticing this on the lower panels but after 3 years Im ok with that. The other is one year in and things are holding up GREAT. This is Upstate NY so lots of road salt.
    Oh thank goodness. I was getting discouraged by the negative CSL & EXO reviews here and I am using that on my F150 this weekend.
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hoyt66 View Post
    Oh thank goodness. I was getting discouraged by the negative CSL & EXO reviews here and I am using that on my F150 this weekend.
    This pairing is a tough to beat pairing in the consumer friendly world. I have been running CSL + EXO for 35 months now on my Mustang. I reapplied EXO when I noticed it was going away, and there has been zero signs of CSL degrading. You will be happy!

12. Thanks hoyt66 thanked for this post
    Likes Texchappy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nvestr View Post
    I Iron-X before and after winter. Does not seem to change anything with regards to water performance on the coating.
    I wouldn't expect iron remover to make any difference on water behavior.

Tar-X on the other hand will. It's a fairly aggressive cleaner that will really help unclog a coating.

Perhaps not the tool to use on an entire car but if you suspect a coating is clogged this can be used on a test spot to find out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
    I wouldn't expect iron remover to make any difference on water behavior.

Tar-X on the other hand will. It's a fairly aggressive cleaner that will really help unclog a coating.

Perhaps not the tool to use on an entire car but if you suspect a coating is clogged this can be used on a test spot to find out.
    Fair point - GTechniq specifically mentions not to use Tax X on their coatings, so I always stayed away from it... That being said, I guess I have nothing to lose by trying... I will order some next time I buy product...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast