autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Removing Glass Hard Water Staining

I bought a car recently that had heavy hard water staining and etching on the windows. i quickly learned that I was overconfident in my detailing abilities. None of the conventional remedies would even touch it - including steel wool with glass cleaner.

To quote from another thread, finally "I tried using my PC7424 with Ceriglass and a LC glass cutting pad and it did absolutely nothing. I was pretty shocked at the complete lack of results ..."

As a last resort, I tried Ceriglass with steel wool. This indeed did the trick, but left the glass hazy with micro-scratching, some spots worse than others - although it looks hugely better than before. After that I tried polishing with the LC pad and Ceriglass, and then glass polish, but (to quote again) it seemed to start " making things worse with adding its own marring." The windows where I didn't attempt any follow-up polishing look better than the one where I did.

Ideally there would be a glass coating product that works like the Cerakote ceramic headlight coating: you wipe it on and it turns the hazy scratched surface bright and clear again. I've ordered some Migliore Vista to that end, but don't have high hopes.

The other possibility is a polishing process that will bring the glass back to crystal clarity. I've read lots of threads on here, but so far don't have a clear notion of how to proceed.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Removing Glass Hard Water Staining

Maybe try something less aggressive than Ceriglass. Griots glass polish has Ciridium Oxide to but i do not believe it to be as strong.

Maybe it was those pads to begin with? I had heavy etching water spots on my Mustangs windows and had ordered ceriglass and the griot glass polish to start.

The Griots along with their glass pads worked wonders and the Ceriglass sits unopened on my shelf.

Also are you keeping the Ceriglass wet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. Prior to the steel wool, I didn't work the Ceriglass extensively as it became apparent that it wasn't touching it. After the steel wool, when I polished with the LC pad on one window, no, I didn't keep the Ceriglass wet.

Post Thanks / Like

Every time I work ceriglass its with CarPro glass pads and my rotary. And water spritzes to maintain a slurry.

The abrasion is painfully slow! Unlike a test spot on paint, you don't see it cutting out scratches in the glass until maybe 20-30 mins of working the same section. Paint test spots give you immediate visual feedback that its either working or not.

I've never tried a PC to work glass and I probably wouldn't try. Forced rotation either Flex or rotary for me..

Mike Phillips

What Paul says,

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post

Every time I work ceriglass its with CarPro glass pads and my rotary. And water spritzes to maintain a slurry.

The abrasion is painfully slow! Unlike a test spot on paint, you don't see it cutting out scratches in the glass until maybe 20-30 mins of working the same section. Paint test spots give you immediate visual feedback that its either working or not.

Best results for glass polishing come from using a rotary polisher, CarPro Rayon Pads, Ceriglass + time, slow arm movement and lots of downward pressure.

I've done it a lot It's difficult - but it can be done.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, guys. I did upgrade to a Griot's DA for this project (which also involves paint correction for hard water spotting - that part has been going fantastic!). As you say, glass is definitely tougher to contend with.

Not being all that eager to purchase another polisher right now, I'll get some Car Pro pads and try to work it as you describe with the Griot's.

The Migliore Vista arrived today, so I'll try that on some of the lesser scratched windows and see if I get a result with that. Will report back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RevGTO View Post
    Thanks. Prior to the steel wool, I didn't work the Ceriglass extensively as it became apparent that it wasn't touching it. After the steel wool, when I polished with the LC pad on one window, no, I didn't keep the Ceriglass wet.

Would also try the Griots glass polish. I think the CP glass pads should help. Remember to keep wet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk