autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Bug Guts Prevention Wax or Ceramic Coating

So I've read that real carnauba wax which is mainly oils & petroleum neutralizes the acids in bug guts, one of the reasons ppl rub petroleum jelly in their bumpers during love bug season in FL.

However, I've also read that the FL heat will break down the wax fairlly quick and therefore ceramic coatings are better. But then the acids will stick/etch into the ceramic coating quicker if not promptly removed, especially if the sun bakes them in for 24-48 hrs.

So in you opinion which offers the better protection vs bug guts? wax, ceramic coatings, or they're both the same.

I honestly do not mind applying a fresh coat of wax on the bumper very two weeks if it works. Annoying yes, but less annoying than trying to mechanically remove them.

PS to clarify, I don't expect the bugs to slide off, I know they will stick no matter what is used in the bumper, I just want to know which of the two neutralize the acids to prevent them from etching in to the paint if not removed with-in 48 hrs.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bug Guts Prevention Wax or Ceramic Coating

I would just use a bug prevention product like Blackfire Bug Blocker or Pro Bug Guard. You just wash the bugs and the product off with a hose and reapply as needed
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I would just use a bug prevention product like Blackfire Bug Blocker or Pro Bug Guard. You just wash the bugs and the product off with a hose and reapply as needed
    HI bill thank you so much, I was looking at the blackfire product earlier this year, but couldn't find what ingredients are used on it and it only had one review

Post Thanks / Like

Pro Bug Guard has been around for an even longer time and contains more product. It worked well for me when I used it. I can’t say about the Blackfire.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

I find getting bugs off my coated cars to be far easier than any wax or sealant I've tried.

I frequently have to drive to visit family. This drive takes me diagonally across rural Missouri and part of Oklahoma...at night... In the Summer, I've encountered so many bugs, it sounds like rain hitting the car and I've had to pull into a gas station because I couldn't see out my windows. Some of those bugs remains looked like they are bigger than birds!

Getting that mess off a car with a wax or sealant was challenging at best, whereas with a coating most of it will blast right off with a hose and what remains comes off with little/moderate effort depending on how long it has been on the car.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Removing bug splatter from a ceramic coated vehicle is much easier IMO. I would recommend applying Blackfire Bug Blocker to the front of your vehicle before taking a road trip. It's a great product!

BLACKFIRE Bug Blocker

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby B. View Post

Removing bug splatter from a ceramic coated vehicle is much easier IMO. I would recommend applying Blackfire Bug Blocker to the front of your vehicle before taking a road trip. It's a great product!

BLACKFIRE Bug Blocker

This product does work. Here's my review for it,

Review: BLACKFIRE Bug Blocker

It's really thick though as you can see from these pictures I took...

To give you an idea as to how thick this product is, here are some pictures,

This stuff is THICK!

This is a Joke Picture

While it looks like I'm pouring the product back into the bottle - it ain't happening. The bottles are injection pumped.

There's no way to actually "pour" this product into a bottle. In fact, the beaker of product you see in the below picture is still out on the workbench as I type.

I'd recommend simply pouring some into a shallow bowl and then dipping an applicator or even foam paint brush into it and then applying.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 240Z View Post
    So I've read that real carnauba wax which is mainly oils & petroleum neutralizes the acids in bug guts, one of the reasons ppl rub petroleum jelly in their bumpers during love bug season in FL.

However, I've also read that the FL heat will break down the wax fairlly quick and therefore ceramic coatings are better. But then the acids will stick/etch into the ceramic coating quicker if not promptly removed, especially if the sun bakes them in for 24-48 hrs.

So in you opinion which offers the better protection vs bug guts? wax, ceramic coatings, or they're both the same.
    will do for you. FL can have some pretty harsh water, very intense sun and very susceptible to salt water. All of these things are not good for your car, and a ceramic will protect your car far better
    I honestly do not mind applying a fresh coat of wax on the bumper very two weeks if it works. Annoying yes, but less annoying than trying to mechanically remove them.

PS to clarify, I don't expect the bugs to slide off, I know they will stick no matter what is used in the bumper, I just want to know which of the two neutralize the acids to prevent them from etching in to the paint if not removed with-in 48 hrs.
    A ceramic coating is a different league of protection compared to conventional wax. I grew up with conventional waxes as a kid, still own a few different ones too, but a ceramic coating will suit your needs better than a conventional wax. Ceramic coated vehicles are very easy to wash. For bugs you will find a good amount blasts off with a pressure washer. If you use a product like W8 or bug out that is spray on, dwell and rinse off, you will watch the vast majority of bug gut rinse off without touching the body work. Anything left over is a light effort to remove with a mitt. Considering you live in FL, I would go with a ceramic as long as you have the means/time. In addition to bugs, FL can have: harsh water, intense sun and is susceptible to salt water. A ceramic will offer better protection against these factors as well.

Top consumer friendly coatings out there IMO:
    -Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light + EXOv4 (have applied with and without EXO, EXO it is worth it. If choosing, use CarPros applicator foam block and suede applicator sheets. Quicker/more efficient way of application)
    -CarPro Cquartz UK
    -22ple insanity

Post Thanks / Like

Griots Bug Barricade is another good choice. You have to keep reapplying it.
    I believe in treating everybody with respect, and clean cars. That’s what I believe in.

Post Thanks / Like

Even though “my wife’s black Acura MDX is coated with CanCoat and the other vehicles with 845 I still put a top layer on the bumper with 845 after each wash on each vehicle. No problems so far this year. The bugs wipe off very easily. In fact no difference is noted between the 845 or the CanCoat, I just prefer to have the extra buffer there.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app