autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question: Do you feel spray sealants provide adequate protection compared to traditional sealants?

Some of you guys have seen me go back and forth on this, and honestly it's a tough one for me.

Do you think the new spray sealants like Adams Graphene, GG 3-1, Megs Ceramic coat etc provide the same protection as say FK1000p, Collinite 845, WDGPS etc?

I guess it's a visual thing for me in terms of a spray not protecting like something I can see physically going on to the paint and hazing and buffing off. Make sense?

I know they work to an extent, Ive seen the videos. But do they protect like paste sealants or do they just bead water? He'll do any sealants truly protect or just bead water? Lol...

I can't be the only one that has had this cross their mind... I can't use a coating as I don't trust the cure of the coating outside, I don't have a garage. Plus the full fledged coatings seem to spot more than these "spray coatings" too. Again no garage = potential waterspots over time.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question: Do you feel spray sealants provide adequate protection compared to traditional sealants?

Depends on the products, the prep, and what abuse you put them through.

Griot's 3-1 is one of the better spray sealants out there.

I saw this the other day. While he doesn't mention any products he speaks generically about spray vs liquid vs paste. Might be worth a watch.

Is Wax dead? - YouTube

3. Likes MrOneEyedBoh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question: Do you feel spray sealants provide adequate protection compared to traditional sealants?

the sprays that are popular here like the Griots or the 303 are easier to put on than a true sealant. They go on and off easier. The downside is they probably don’t protect as long as a true sealant.. But because they’re easier to take on and off, I don’t mind doing them every three months. I think that’s the trade-off. At least it is for me.I’m sold on the quality sprays discussed here, I’ll never go back to buffing off a stout Haze.

Actually, using something like car Pro elixir, which is a combination QD and sealant , a simple wipe down after a wash is even easier than any spray I’ve been encountered so far. Then again, I was spoiled since 2009 with blackfire crystal seal, a true WOWA product, I haven’t wiped off a heavy haze like 845 in decades.
    Glen -

5. Likes MrOneEyedBoh, bob m, CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My 303 spray graphene did great from Nov to Feb this past winter. I sprayed Griot's Garage foaming surface prep on it and after the rinse it was beading great. Because I was in a warm Garage I decided to "top it up" with another coat because it's so easy.

I've been convinced on sprays for quite some time nowQuestion: Do you feel spray sealants provide adequate protection compared to traditional sealants?Question: Do you feel spray sealants provide adequate protection compared to traditional sealants?Question: Do you feel spray sealants provide adequate protection compared to traditional sealants?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

7. Likes MrOneEyedBoh, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

"Ease of Use" is a big deal. If something is easy to use, then you are more likely to use it regularly and keep your LSP at full strength. If something is difficult to use, you either never use it again, or rarely use it at all and are depending on that LSP to hold up to whatever abuses your car sees.

The reason I like the Turtle Was HC Spray Coating and Graphene Flex Wax so much is because they are so easy to use and have decent durability. The HS Ceramic lasted 7 months on most areas of my car through last winter, which for a spray sealant, isn't too shabby. I'm about to put a coat of the Flex Wax on the car this morning, even though it's only been two months, but the tight beading is fading to sheeting. The sides of the car are usually dry by the time I dry the top surfaces, so the water is still being repelled off the surface and not clinging. So the protection is obviously still there and since using the Flex Wax is NOT a chore, I don't mind topping it off every two months or whenever I feel the need to get out of the house and have some quiet time.

Like our resident Auto Geek Guru, Mike Phillips says: "Find something you like and use it OFTEN."
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

9. Likes MrOneEyedBoh, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

•When compared to “traditional” Sealants
    (and to whatever degree/ability that they
    may possess, if any), in protecting
    vehicles’ paint systems from UV-rays...

-Optimum (Spray) Car Wax provides more
    than adequate protection from UV-rays;
    namely: OCW’s UV protection is patented.

Not feelings. Fact.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

11. Likes MrOneEyedBoh, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I used CanCoat by Gyeon on my Harley. I wouldn't say it's an easy sealant to apply, but the learning curve is not bad.

I'm told I can expect a solid 6 months. I'll put it to the test. I ride quite a bit. I'm about to leave on a 3200 mile road trip.

I've been using ECH2O to keep it clean and shiny. I'll be bringing some along some MF cloths to keep it as best I can on the trip.

It's had a bath since I've sealed it and I have washed the bike many times prior to applying CanCoat. It has never been this quick and easy to get all of the bugs and dirt off of the bike. I sealed my wheels and they are usually a pain to clean....super easy to get done now. A process which normally takes me about 4 hours was cut down to 2 hours, and when I did a final buff, it looked amazing still.

Post Thanks / Like

Application has little to do with protection. You can spread margarine on your car with foam pad and I promise you'll be unhappy with the protection. That being said it's likely you can fit more solids in a cream or paste than in a spray bottle.

The greater question is how do you define protection? Is it UV protection like Bob said? Is it water beading alone? Do you care about water spots, etchings from droppings, repelling oils? What hardest thing to clean off your car in your area? That's what'd I'd be assessing vs if the product is a spray/paste/cream/coating.

For me personally water spots are my nemesis so I gravitate away from products with extreme water beading. Also like you I often have to work outside so ease of application is important. In the spring/early summer there's a lot of poorly repaired potholes so tar is a big issue. That means using tar removers so any expensive LSP that is going to be damaged by solvents is a waste of $$$ around this time.

Catch my drift?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Mark View Post
    I used CanCoat by Gyeon on my Harley. I wouldn't say it's an easy sealant to apply, but the learning curve is not bad.

I'm told I can expect a solid 6 months. I'll put it to the test. I ride quite a bit. I'm about to leave on a 3200 mile road trip.

I've been using ECH2O to keep it clean and shiny. I'll be bringing some along some MF cloths to keep it as best I can on the trip.

It's had a bath since I've sealed it and I have washed the bike many times prior to applying CanCoat. It has never been this quick and easy to get all of the bugs and dirt off of the bike. I sealed my wheels and they are usually a pain to clean....super easy to get done now. A process which normally takes me about 4 hours was cut down to 2 hours, and when I did a final buff, it looked amazing still.
    Cancoat is actually a coating and not a sealant. Also heard that you should expect more than a year from it.

15. Thanks Lance Mark thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Texchappy View Post
    Cancoat is actually a coating and not a sealant. Also heard that you should expect more than a year from it.
    I'd heard otherwise, that technically it's not a coating, but as far as sealants go, it doesn't really fit in that category neatly either.

I'm new, sir, and am here to learn. After posting, I thought, hmmm the spray on sealants they are talking about might be a different animal. Thanks for the heads up.

As well, I'll keep an eye on it, i'm a hobbiest/enthusiast not a pro, so for now, I'm my only client. I ride a lot, but it's kept in a garage. I'd heard 6 months, but I won't rush a new application if it doesn't need it. I'll keep an eye on it and post somewhere here how it holds up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast