autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ceramic Second Layer = How much Gain Gloss or Longevity or Mostly Placebo

Know a second layer ensures coverage but how much does a second layer add in additional gloss or durability (avalonking).

I am not a professional, just an enthusiast. Know sealants layer and have done that (duragloss), this is my first foray into ceramic.

Prep work (wash/decon, clay, buff, ipa wipedown) is enough of a chore itself would like to get away with just one complete coat of ceramic (unless significant gains can be made by second coat. Daily driver (challenger).

Regards,

P.S. how does wiping a second coat on a mere 1-2hrs after the first coat of ceramic not mess with/disturb the first coat. Is the first coat so locked in at 1-2 hrs that coat #2 doesn't disrupt/smudge/smear/disturb coat #1 in any bad way/fashion. Thinking 1 coat with close monitoring to make sure nothing missed during application might actually yield best results. Or no problem with 2nd coat and should go for it.

2. Likes jshillin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ceramic Second Layer = How much Gain Gloss or Longevity or Mostly Placebo

It adds about 10 to 20%, not double like one would expect. It’s mostly to guarantee you didn’t miss a spot from the 1st coat. It’s easy to miss a spot and chances are on second go you don’t miss the same spot again.
    Bruno Soares

4. Thanks Fallguy007 thanked for this post
    Likes dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just finished two coats on the clown car using blackfire pro ceramic. Wheels are off as will be coating them later in the week. First time using this coating, much easier for me to tell when ready to wipe vs cquk3 was for other 3 cars in the garage.

Ceramic Second Layer = How much Gain Gloss or Longevity or Mostly Placebo-img_4251-jpg

Ceramic Second Layer = How much Gain Gloss or Longevity or Mostly Placebo-img_4252_-jpg

6. Thanks Fallguy007 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Best to follow the manufacturers directions. If they call for two then apply two. If it says one with an optional second then you can do one. And if there is no information about applying a second layer after a given amount of time then one is more than likely enough. But always follow up with the manufacturer.

You would be surprised how often I ask manufacturers how many layers are recommended and the amount of wait time between layers.

One example of a one layer coating is Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light. Gtechniq has mentioned it is not required and that CSL is not layerable.

Another example is Cquartz UK 3.0 where it is recommended to apply two layers. Corey states why at 2:22.

8. Thanks Fallguy007 thanked for this post
    Likes dgage, Fallguy007 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

I just did back-to-back installs of coatings on this old 2-door European job because this car is going to be parked outside 24x7 - at least for now.

2016 Mercedes-Benz S550 4MATIC Coupe - Wolfgang Paint Correction and Ceramic Coating

The logic being a thicker layer of the coating will last longer and protect better against whatever is in the water?

What's in the water?

The most difficult part of installing a coating or a second layer of the coating besides all the prep work in working carefully to avoid high spots.

I'd much rather apply a coat of wax any day but everyone wants a coating now days.

10. Thanks Fallguy007 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fallguy007 View Post
    Know a second layer ensures coverage but how much does a second layer add in additional gloss or durability
    . Personally the coating i use, i notice a siginficant amount of gloss and depth to the paint when i add my second, also the manufacture recommends a second coat

12. Thanks Fallguy007 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll take a wax any day of the week myself as well.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

14. Likes Jayfro liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Two Coats it is!!!

Somedays I wish I owned a rat rod...... but then would probably be the exact opposite and be researching/obsessing on how to best create/add patina !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Soares View Post
    It adds about 10 to 20%, not double like one would expect. It’s mostly to guarantee you didn’t miss a spot from the 1st coat. It’s easy to miss a spot and chances are on second go you don’t miss the same spot again.
    I think I saw Yvan Lacroix mention something about using small, circular motions for applying a coating because doing so somehow eliminates the chances for high spots. He said that the cross hatch pattern is more likely to create such spots due to the nature of the motion of the application, as opposed to just constantly moving in circles.

Wondering if anyone out there has tried something like CQUK and a foam applicator using this technique. I would not be opposed to trying it.

Post Thanks / Like

I usually do only 1 coat however ALWAYS do GTechniq CSL and EXO which to me is like 2 layers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast