autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Windshield coating - skipping wipers (new car)

Quote Originally Posted by SalmonPride View Post

2) for the side and rear windows ( rear if there is no wiper) - is it safe to put a ceramic glass coating or you would still use only a glass sealant ?

Like I answered previously, I use the PBL Surface Coating on ALL the glass. As a part of any of my detail work I machine polish the glass before washing the car, or if not washing with the traditional water hose and bucket method, then I machine polish after doing a rinseless or waterless wash.

Point being - I ALWAYS machine polish all the glass. Take my word for it - if a car is a daily driver, parked outside and driven outside, (duh), then it gets a film on the glass.

After machine polishing all the glass then at the END Of the job, I apply the PBS Surface Coating to all the glass including - Sunroof Glass.

I took this picture a few days ago in the morning after it rained all night. This is the glass sunroof of our Infinity.

See how the water beads and runs off? That is the PBL Surface Coating. It's also on the paint.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike!
    I truly believe it is wipers problem and not the way the glass was polished or the coating that was put.

So my update is that we removed the graphite coating on the wipers completely with ethanol. Applied again G1 on the wipers, this time it seems like it was good, waited to dry, and result is unfortunately worse

I will be buying new non-OEM wipers , just to see if not applying anything to them might fix it. This might be another part of the problem - that we didn't need to apply anything to the wipers initially. If that doesn't fix it - we will just remove the coating and that's it. It would be easier than finding quick-fix solutions.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Like I answered previously, I use the PBL Surface Coating on ALL the glass.
    Hey Mike, one more thing I didn't actually ask about
    What about the two side view mirrors? I guess it's also nice to put something to repel water there and it's not gonna harm ?

Post Thanks / Like

If I remember, I'll give the wiper blades a quick alcohol wipe when I wash the car. It removes the grime and oxidized junk from the blades. No streaks and they last longer.

5. Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by SalmonPride View Post

Hey Mike, one more thing I didn't actually ask about

What about the two side view mirrors? I guess it's also nice to put something to repel water there and it's not gonna harm ?

I normally polish the side mirror glass, especially if the pad on the polisher I'm using can contact the glass.

And "yes" - I always give the side mirror glass a wipe of the PBL Surface Coating.

Post Thanks / Like

I normally polish the side mirror glass, especially if the pad on the polisher I'm using can contact the glass.

And "yes" - I always give the side mirror glass a wipe of the PBL Surface Coating.

Even newer cars? I know many use plastic instead of glass on side mirrors and with abrasion the part that makes it a mirror gets damaged and you can end up having to replace it.

I never do anything to side mirrors other than cleaning them. Never even coated them just in case it becomes an issue.
    Bruno Soares

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Soares View Post
    Even newer cars? I know many use plastic instead of glass on side mirrors and with abrasion the part that makes it a mirror gets damaged and you can end up having to replace it.

I never do anything to side mirrors other than cleaning them. Never even coated them just in case it becomes an issue.

No, not new cars, just older stuff that uses glass mirrors.

New cars usually don't need the side mirror buffed as in most cases they are somewhat sheltered from the world.

I'm trying to think of he last new cars I've detailed, like a C8 Corvette, a couple of Mercedes-Benz... I don't remember them having plastic for mirrors?

There's a brand new 2021 C8 Corvette in the garage as I type, I'll go take a look. I'll look at Yancy's brand new 2021 Dodge Challenger Redeye, see what it has.

Post Thanks / Like

They look about the same as glass but I think plastic is used to help with the heating element behind it, I think it’s easier to get plastic warm than glass. I remember someone saying they used 0000 steel wool trying to clean it like glass and scratched the film/coat that make the plastic give you a mirror image.
    Bruno Soares

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

No, not new cars, just older stuff that uses glass mirrors.

New cars usually don't need the side mirror buffed as in most cases they are somewhat sheltered from the world.
    Thanks Mike, so for side mirrors of new cars - no buff, but a wipe of PBL coating is fine?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Guys, some updates. So I just threw the OEM wipers in the trash as we put another layer of coating on them and it didn’t help, even made things worse. So I was on a waste money spree I guess but I bought another pair of OEM wipers just to try how it would work without coating, I wasn’t able to find aftermarket(price was similar) , didn’t want to wait and definitely didn’t want to order from Ali Express.

What happened - no issues at all on dry windshield and when using constant setting 1 or 2 ( only two constant on my glc and two rain sensing). But when I simulated rain - poured a bit of water on the sensor - first few strokes great, but after a while chatter started. So it seems like something messing with the rain sensor. What I mean is that when there is less water like rain drops the friction between the coating and wiper blades is just not good enough, not enough lube to glide smoothly. I guess water beads/sheets way too fast due to the coating. So it has to be either completely smooth - dry or there needs to be more fluid - like spraying a windshield washer fluid.

I really like the coating benefits. It was amazing in pouring rain on the highway last week, but I live in a big city , and with all the traffic jams and speed limit I cannot really see any benefit overall of the glass coating in town. I would need to use my wipers on rain sensor in case of rain/snow ( no intermittent function on the GLC ) and that chatter would only drive me mad.

So I saw some suggestions for wiper arm adjustment , but if it’s working fine on dry glass and constant motion I guess that’s not the problem. Seems like my only solution would be to remove the coating and hope bare glass would work just fine. Not sure I would go and use any other glass product at all if I manage to fix it, I’d rather enjoy my new car and protect only the paint - after all I’m not in the tropic, we do have rains, but as I said - it’s daily city driving mostly and the benefit of no chatter would be greater than water sheeting at high speeds.

Just so strange that only rain sensor function causes this... would be happy to hear your thoughts , but I guess I can only remove and see how it goes.

12. Likes dgage liked this post
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast