autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Windshield coating - skipping wipers (new car)

Quote Originally Posted by SalmonPride View Post

However I think I am more worried with the polish itself - is it something bad to be done on a new car windshield?

We also polished the side and rear windows. We used G4 nano polish.
    As far as I know, you're good. I've heard some car manufacturers put "something" on the OUTER SURFACE of their car's windshield but I don't know this as a fact. AND - to me it doesn't make sense as their engineers must be able to figure out what this working class dog posted previously - that is,

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

a RUBBER wiper is going to drag over the glass, it's going to micro-abrade anything you put on it off. It's reality.

Car manufactures have ZERO idea what's going to happen to their cars and specifically the windshields after they get pooped out of the assembly plant. Zero. So I don't know why they would insert the potential for problems and headaches by putting some type of coating on the glass. I'm sure there are filters sandwiched in-between the glass, but ON the glass?

Maybe someone somewhere has this answer?

but my question is - do you avoid polishing glasses as well ?

You said 15 years of ownership, but I guess you did polish at some point to deep clean it?
    I'm guessing you're new to Mike Phillips? I have MORE articles on glass polishing than anyone breathing. A few key words and using my first and last name on Skynet will show you this.

I posted this yesterday, hasn't received any attention, some articles do, some don't.

2016 Mercedes-Benz S550 4MATIC Coupe - Wolfgang Paint Correction and Ceramic Coating

Here's polished glass.

How to avoid staining plastic, vinyl and rubber trim

It's real simple - cover over the trim with some quality painter's tape. In this example I'm using the green 3M Brand.

I ALWAYS polish all glass on every car I detail. Then at this time, as a very last step to the car - I spray-on and wipe-off the PBL Surface Coating.

The car came brand new, but had a lot of nasty stuff on the windshield - for example a number written with some kind of white chalk, and also some deposits. I guess the proper way to clean the windshield and all the side and rear windows, would be to polish and remove all of those nasty stuff? I mean we didn't do any harm , polishing is the correct way?
    In my experience, mechanically polishing glass is the best way to get it absolutely clean.

And one more - what about side and rear ? I think it's perfectly fine to polish and coat, right?
    Yup. See the picture above. I also did the glass sunroof and the back window. Again - I do this for all the cars I detail and show it in my classes.

I guess it all depends on the detailer doing the job, but just to understand people's thoughts.
    Sounds like he knows what he's doing.

It's natural for most people and most detailers to put a glass coating on glass. It's sold to us this way. All I know is my own experience. When I have done this in the past, the wipers chatter. People hate it when their wipers chatter. Customers complain. I reduce the potential and go with what I know. Been sharing the PBS Surface Coating with others on this forum for YEARS. And I get it people can be cynical, (not saying your cynical, just people in general), but at this time, it is in fact one of my favorite products. I use it on my wife's Infinity over the paint coating and on the glass. I use it on the glass on my car. I use a cleaner/wax on the paint for my car, it's just a ho-hum daily driver that sits outside 24x7.

Hang tight, I'll share a picture that will blow most people's minds...

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

Hang tight, I'll share a picture that will blow most people's minds...

Here you go, cropped and resized the originals to 1000 pixels wide for everyone's viewing pleasure. I think I'm one of the last guys on earth that actually knows how to work with images on a discussion forum.

For the record - the majority of people on planet Earth should not do this. At all. It's more work than words can describe and once you're committed, you MUST see it through all the way to the crystal clear end.

Machine sanding glass

Everything I used...

There was a film on the inside of the glass so I hand polished it with the BLACKFIRE Water Spot Remover (good stuff but be sure to shake well before use)

Then applied the PBL Surface Coating to the inside and outside...

Not bad...

Mike Phillips

Here's a recent example of using the PBL Twins because I knew the owner would love how it looked and how slippery it makes the paint feel.

1972 Cutlass - Wet-sanded and Ceramic Coated - PBL Diamond Paint Coating

We used the PBL Diamond Paint Coating on the paint and then used the PBL Surface Coating OVER the paint coating.

And "yes" we used the PBL Surface Coating on all the glass after we machine polished all the glass.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I guess all the properties lie in between the layers as you said, so maybe what's removed is just some kind of factory coating, if there is any at all.
    The UV protection would be between the layers, but I'd think whatever makes the glass hydrophobic is on the exterior surface of the glass itself.

So you are not using any coatings, but my question is - do you avoid polishing glasses as well ? You said 15 years of ownership, but I guess you did polish at some point to deep clean it?
    No, I've never polished a windshield on any car other than one instance on an old Toyota SUV we owned a while ago in which I had a couple bug splatters I could not get off by any other means. For my German cars since the water beads up and sheets off so well, I've never had to polish them at all. I've kept them clean with normal maintenance and/or a clay bar and I've not had any issues with hard staining/streaking, so far. However, despite my best efforts, our Toyota Highlander is starting to see some staining on the side windows which will require polishing and my daughter's car we purchased used also needs the side windows to be polished as well. Neither of those seem to have whatever the German auto makers use on their glass.

I don't coat/seal glass based on experience with a Mazda I owned one. I used a sealant on the car for that windshield, and while it worked great in a hard rain, I found in misty/drizzzle/snowy conditions it smeared the water really bad. During the day it wasn't a problem, but at night it really hampered visibility. Cleaning repeatedly with a stong window cleaner and a clay bar helped.

On my current BMW I tried the Aquapel glass coating on the rear window. The window beaded/sheeted water pretty well already, but since it's a coupe and the window is at a steep angle I wanted to make it shed water faster. After applying the coating, I saw no improvement over what the OEM glass did from the factory, so I've not used it again. It might work better on US, Japanese or Korean cars.

The car came brand new, but had a lot of nasty stuff on the windshield - for example a number written with some kind of white chalk, and also some deposits. I guess the proper way to clean the windshield and all the side and rear windows, would be to polish and remove all of those nasty stuff? I mean we didn't do any harm , polishing is the correct way?
    I'm not a glass expert by any way, but I've used APC's, bug/tar remover, and a clay bar in the past to get some of that stuff off. It all depends on what it is. Polishing may have been the only choice if nothing else worked. I could see a car sitting on a lot for a long time having issues from sprinkler water and other contaminates in the air staining the glass.[/quote]

And one more - what about side and rear ? I think it's perfectly fine to polish and coat, right?
    Like Mike demonstrated you can do any of the windows if needed, I've just found the glass from at least two German automakers already has the same properties as a coating. As mentioned above, I'm going to need to do the side windows of my two Japanese cars, but they've just now got to that point after many years/miles. When I'm washing those cars, I will wipe down the side/rear windows with whatever QD I'm using to eliminate any water spots, but I don't do the windshield.

I guess it all depends on the detailer doing the job, but just to understand people's thoughts.
    Absolutely. Lots of variable and conditions, I'm just one person sharing how I approach the problem. I'm sure others will disagree with me and have very valid points for their approach, which is just fine. We all learn.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Currently experiencing the same thing. Wipers are close to new. Glass currently wearing Pinnacle glass coat. When i use the washers, they are fine. When it rains i will get dragging on the wipers. No noise, but you can clearly see them drag. So when weather permits this week, going to start from ground zero. Stopped by AA today and picked up Invisible Glass GLASS STRIPPER. Removes water spots, coatings, road film and contaminants. I have a bottle of DP coating prep polish that maybe would have been ok to use also? I will observe the results after the GLASS STRIPPER. Because you do final rinse of water after using the product. If i had to guess, this should work. Then if it does i am hesitant to use any more glass coatings on the windshield in the future. As mentioned above, using any coating will cause some amount of wiper chatter or drag.

Good read on the subject....Treated glass is so slick, it tends to GRAB the wipers.

Please Wait... | Cloudflare

Blades are designed to WIPE the glass surface free of water and whatever down to the glass. But if the surface contains wax and other compounds designed to "stay" or "adhere" to the windshield surface it's actually going to be a battle between the waxy compound and the rubber wiper blade. Thus the chatter.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pro 4x View Post
    Currently experiencing the same thing. Wipers are close to new. Glass currently wearing Pinnacle glass coat. When i use the washers, they are fine. When it rains i will get dragging on the wipers. No noise, but you can clearly see them drag. So when weather permits this week, going to start from ground zero. Stopped by AA today and picked up Invisible Glass GLASS STRIPPER. Removes water spots, coatings, road film and contaminants. I have a bottle of DP coating prep polish that maybe would have been ok to use also? I will observe the results after the GLASS STRIPPER. Because you do final rinse of water after using the product. If i had to guess, this should work. Then if it does i am hesitant to use any more glass coatings on the windshield in the future. As mentioned above, using any coating will cause some amount of wiper chatter or drag.

Good read on the subject....Treated glass is so slick, it tends to GRAB the wipers.

Please Wait... | Cloudflare

Blades are designed to WIPE the glass surface free of water and whatever down to the glass. But if the surface contains wax and other compounds designed to "stay" or "adhere" to the windshield surface it's actually going to be a battle between the waxy compound and the rubber wiper blade. Thus the chatter.
    I don't use any true "coating" from the various makes as they all do cause issues. McKee's was the only one that didn't but it wouldn't last very long. I've since moved to Rust Oleum's Never Wet for glass and love it. Key is to prepare the surface. You'll know when you're down to virgin bare glass when the water "clings" and there are no areas of it not. Just polish with a basic glass polish (I use Griot's) and wipe with denatured alcohol. Hose down the windshield as a test. Here's an image from a blog I wrote a while back.

If it looks like this, then dry and prepare to apply the product. No chatter, works great.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

I have used Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Glass Coating for years and have never had chatter issues with the cars I have applied it to. I am running low but have recently purchased the PBL Diamond Surface Coating after reading many of Mike’s posts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I always use Pinnacle Black Label Surface Coating.
    Is this the stuff that is $130 for the 8oz bottle?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jem7sk View Post
    Is this the stuff that is $130 for the 8oz bottle?
    It is. I bought it during a 40% off sale for $78. A bottle will last a long time.

10. Likes jem7sk liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan K View Post
    It is. I bought it during a 40% off sale for $78. A bottle will last a long time.
    That's a great deal.. I've never seen a 40% off before. When does that usually happen? I also just realized it is a coating that lasts three years. Think I'll be getting a bottle when I catch it on sale (hopefully at 40% off).. I like how Mike describes it as being very slick... I like slick.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast