autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Windshield coating - skipping wipers (new car)

Sucks to hear you're still struggling with this. I'm not sure what I'd do next. I don't use automatic wipers and if it's just a drizzle on the glass I let it be, I don't need to wipe away every drop that comes down, seems like very little water on the glass does make it harder for the wipers to glide, not sure why. Heavier rain just slides on its own due to glass protection so I don't normally use my wipers much at all. But on my current cars I've never had the issues you're having so I can't even say if they would be fine just by not using the automatic wipers and opting to activate it only when you know there's more water on the glass.
    Bruno Soares

2. Thanks SalmonPride thanked for this post
    Likes dwaleke liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Soares View Post
    Sucks to hear you're still struggling with this.

Thanks Bruno! Hopefully I find a solution.

Yep drizzle is manageable, I am fine with that, but I would much prefer what my Yaris had - intermittent wiper each 5 seconds or so. Can't believe a premium brand does not have this - just two rain sensors sensitivity and two constant speeds. Now in the GLC I cannot calibrate any interval wipe and that means I have to use manual wipe.

There is another problem with using manual wipe - what about traffic and rain , even if it's only drizzle the car in front would always throw some water sprays on my windshield or a puddle on the road and a car next to me splashes huge amount of water that I'd need to clean, that means to have my thumb on the single wipe constantly otherwise I might face serious issue not reacting on time.

Also this is just tedious action , that's why most of the cars have/had the intermittent wipe.

Looks like it's the water not causing enough lubrication, washer fluid is fine, strange that dry is also fine. So problem is only with water or in other words only when raining. So I guess yes - it's the coating causing all that.

Post Thanks / Like

Try a glass sealant rather than a glass coating. You can do this yourself without the need of an installer.

5. Likes SalmonPride liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Try a glass sealant rather than a glass coating. You can do this yourself without the need of an installer.
    Was thinking if that would be a solution, but I am a bit afraid to put anything else on a windshield ever again Just don't want to fix that issue and have the same happen due to a sealant. What do you think?

Still - how would you apply , don't I need to remove the coating first or you mean to apply on top of the coating? And what would you recommend as product?

Post Thanks / Like

I use Griot's glass sealant. You apply it like a wax. If you didn't remove the coating first, the sealant would eventually wear off and your problem will just come back (if it goes away).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SalmonPride View Post
    Was thinking if that would be a solution, but I am a bit afraid to put anything else on a windshield ever again Just don't want to fix that issue and have the same happen due to a sealant. What do you think?

Still - how would you apply , don't I need to remove the coating first or you mean to apply on top of the coating? And what would you recommend as product?
    You will need to polish off whatever is there and apply the glass sealant of your choice. Which can also be easily polished off if it does not work.

Post Thanks / Like

With a coated windshield you can never rely on the rain sensor. It wants to wipe every drop of rain off the glass. When your windshield is coated you don't need or want that.

Uncoated windshields become a blurry mess. Coated ones you can see through the water drops with much greater clarity. I control the wipers with a single click as needed in all the cars I drive. I almost never let the car automatically wipe unless I'm driving in a torrential downpour.

Sometimes having more water on the windshield leads to greater clarity because the water is grouping together and then flying off the glass. Wiping all the water away slows down this process.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just to report back after some months on anyone that might find the thread helpful.

1st step: Coating removed completely - no help, wipers were skipping like crazy again.

That lead to only one reason - faulty design. A lot of threads in MB world forum with people complaining of skipping Benz wipers with or without coating. Also another thing - driver wiper was hitting almost each stroke the A pillar.

2nd step: Go to Benz dealership, complain on the driver wiper hitting A pillar and wiper skipping in light rain now that coating was removed. They did blame the coating at first , of course.

Solution: They fixed the wiper hitting A pillar and reported that they did not do anything else like adjusting wiper arm.
    Afterwards: Skipping just almost entirely stopped ... yes I do hear it once in a while with less rain drops and it's definitely not gliding perfectly , but as I said it seems like this is a common issue with GLCs wipers and I have to accept that little flaw.

So it seems like the issue with skipping was only with the driver wiper and I guess once they fixed the A pillar hitting they did fix the wiper arm itself, although they didn't report that. Maybe fixing the A pillar did a fix on the arm as well, who knows.

I feel a bit stupid I didn't go to the dealership earlier as the coating might have not been the issue at all and I might have kept it, but to be honest - I would avoid putting anything on a windshield again. Too many unknown how the glass might react.

Unfortunately with the coating removed now light windshield scratches are already visible, but not much that can be done.

I know I said I wouldn't put a ceramic coating on a windshield again, but just curious - what do you guys think? Do you think I should reapply now that the wipers are fixed or I might fall into the same trap? I did enjoy the water repelling effect, but definitely don't want to go through the same process. Also it has the added layer of protection against wipers scratches.

Post Thanks / Like

It sounded like you had a wiper arm adjustment problem which is now fixed. Don't think you will have the same problem because you applied a coating. If you did no one would be using a coating on their windshields.

12. Likes Bruno Soares liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Try putting the coating on half the glass and see how it responds. If all is good then finish the other half.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast