autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Newbie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like

    3M Ceramic Coating?

    Been seeing a lot of talk about the new 3M Ceramic Coating. Has anyone used it yet? Any thoughts?

    Iíve been using Meguiarís Hybrid Paint Coating I noticed that the 3M Ceramic Coating advertises the same attributes... wonder if they are related?

  2. #2
    Super Member SNP209's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    302
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3M Ceramic Coating?

    3M owns Meguiar's.

  3. Likes dwaleke liked this post
  4. #3
    Super Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,189
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3M Ceramic Coating?

    I hear it is not the most user friendly experience to apply

  5. #4
    Newbie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3M Ceramic Coating?

    Interesting feedback. Not many coatings are super easy to apply. Hybrid Paint Coating might be the easiest coating I’ve ever applied and I’ve applied a lot of different coatings. It’s super slick. Results have been impressive so far and durability seems good for the few months I’ve been using it.

  6. Likes dwaleke liked this post
  7. #5
    Newbie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3M Ceramic Coating?

    Quote Originally Posted by SNP209 View Post
    3M owns Meguiar's.
    Yes this is why I ask and thought they are related somehow. Someone said the 3M coating was polysiloxane based so I wondered if they are related.

  8. #6
    Super Member FUNX650's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    21,017
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3M Ceramic Coating?

    Quote Originally Posted by SNP209 View Post
    3M owns Meguiar's.

    Quote Originally Posted by EddieVDetailing View Post
    Yes this is why I ask and thought
    they are related somehow.
    FWIW:

    •This was considered nothing more than
    a complementary acquisition—to support
    the following 3M growth-strategy:

    “...to strengthen the core businesses;
    and expand into adjacent markets”.


    Source:
    October 02, 2008
    Press Release


    Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

  9. #7
    Super Member FUNX650's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    21,017
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3M Ceramic Coating?

    Quote Originally Posted by EddieVDetailing View Post
    Been seeing a lot of talk about the
    new 3M Ceramic Coating. Has anyone
    used it yet?

    Any thoughts?

    I’ve been using Meguiar’s Hybrid Paint
    Coating I noticed that the 3M Ceramic
    Coating advertises the same attributes...
    wonder if they are related?
    IMO:
    They might be somewhat “chemically related”.
    (Yet I’ll probably never know for sure.
    See below...RE: 3M Authorized Installer.)


    •While Meguiar’s Hybrid Paint Coating is being
    advertised as a Consumer version of a Coating...
    -3M’s Ceramic Coating is advertised as being
    for professional use/installation only.

    TO WIT:

    •“For industrial/occupational use only.
    Not for consumer sale or use.

    •3M industrial and occupational products are
    intended, labeled, and packaged for sale to
    trained industrial and occupational customers
    for workplace use.

    •Unless specifically stated otherwise on the
    applicable product packaging or literature,
    these products are not intended, labeled, or
    packaged for sale to or use by consumers

    -(e.g., for home, personal, primary or secondary
    school, recreational/sporting, or other uses not
    described in the applicable product packaging or
    literature),

    -and must be selected and used in compliance
    with applicable health and safety regulations
    and standards (e.g., U.S. OSHA, ANSI),

    -as well as all product literature, user
    instructions, warnings, and other limitations,
    and the user must take any action required
    under any recall, field action, or other product
    use notice.

    •Misuse of 3M industrial and occupational
    products may result in injury, sickness,
    death, or property damage.

    -For help with product selection and use,
    consult your on-site safety professional,
    industrial hygienist, or other subject
    matter expert.

    •For professional use only. 3M’s Warranty only
    applies to professionally installed treatments
    through a 3M Authorized Installer”.

    Source:
    Access Denied



    Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

  10. #8
    Newbie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3M Ceramic Coating?

    Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    IMO:
    They might be somewhat “chemically related”.
    (Yet I’ll probably never know for sure.
    See below...RE: 3M Authorized Installer.)


    •While Meguiar’s Hybrid Paint Coating is being
    advertised as a Consumer version of a Coating...
    -3M’s Ceramic Coating is advertised as being
    for professional use/installation only.

    TO WIT:

    •“For industrial/occupational use only.
    Not for consumer sale or use.

    •3M industrial and occupational products are
    intended, labeled, and packaged for sale to
    trained industrial and occupational customers
    for workplace use.

    •Unless specifically stated otherwise on the
    applicable product packaging or literature,
    these products are not intended, labeled, or
    packaged for sale to or use by consumers

    -(e.g., for home, personal, primary or secondary
    school, recreational/sporting, or other uses not
    described in the applicable product packaging or
    literature),

    -and must be selected and used in compliance
    with applicable health and safety regulations
    and standards (e.g., U.S. OSHA, ANSI),

    -as well as all product literature, user
    instructions, warnings, and other limitations,
    and the user must take any action required
    under any recall, field action, or other product
    use notice.

    •Misuse of 3M industrial and occupational
    products may result in injury, sickness,
    death, or property damage.

    -For help with product selection and use,
    consult your on-site safety professional,
    industrial hygienist, or other subject
    matter expert.

    •For professional use only. 3M’s Warranty only
    applies to professionally installed treatments
    through a 3M Authorized Installer”.

    Source:
    Access Denied



    Bob
    Thanks for sharing that info. Makes you wonder about the defunct M788 coating that never launched.

  11. Likes robwoodgto liked this post
  12. #9
    Super Member dwaleke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    212
    Post Thanks / Like

    3M Ceramic Coating?

    Quote Originally Posted by EddieVDetailing View Post
    Thanks for sharing that info. Makes you wonder about the defunct M788 coating that never launched.
    I heard that had to do with not being able to get the packaging they needed. Which sounds weird but with Covid who knows?

    I've also heard that Meguiar's has been limited in what chemistry they can use in the US because of the health risks of most coatings. They want to avoid the liability. I would not be surprised if that is coming from the parent company 3M.

    Especially if you read the disclaimer above. That gives them a lot of cover for the professional coating. "Not for consumer use"

    When you hear about the health risks and then you see video after video of people applying coatings without gloves or respirators or any PPE of any kind it really makes you wonder.

  13. #10
    Director of Training Mike Phillips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Stuart, Florida
    Posts
    50,917
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 3M Ceramic Coating?

    Talk about coming late to the game...




    3M generally makes great products. They probably have one of the worlds largest R&D departments when considered globally.


    Someone take a hit for the team...



  14. Thanks yello430 thanked for this post
    Likes yello430 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-05-2021, 07:04 PM
  2. Basic question re Ceramic Coating vs Ceramic Spray Sealant
    By joebruin77 in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-30-2020, 08:58 AM
  3. Wheel Ceramic Coating Vs Regular Ceramic Coating
    By bryanviper in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-28-2019, 02:09 PM
  4. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-04-2016, 07:15 PM
  5. WG Uber Ceramic coating or New Gloss coat ceramic forumla
    By Mike@ShineStruck in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-19-2015, 01:42 PM

Members who have read this thread: 53

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» July 2021

S M T W T F S
27282930 1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31