autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Need help with rubber window trim 2004 Sienna

I am wondering if anyone has a method to clean this trim up. It looks to me as if the finish is no longer there. I have tried Mothers VLR and it did nothing. I tried Gyeon Trim and it also did nothing. I was going to try a heat gun but figured I’d ask for some help on this one. I did read brake cleaner could help, or even engine treatment products like Lucas could help. Any ideas would be helpful and appreciated.

I cleaned the glass but can’t seem to get rid of the white specks next to the rubber gasket. It seems like the are etched into the glass but the glass feels smooth.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need help with rubber window trim 2004 Sienna

Does no one have any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a build-up of mineral deposits on the glass. I'd remove it with a single edged razor blade. You could also try something like "Lime-Away" or "CLR" but if you do be sure to test for compatibility with the surrounding surfaces.

For the trim, if it is plastic/rubber, I would try cleaning with the same "Lime-Away" or "CLR" followed by lacquer thinner. Again, test for compatibility. Then apply a protectant or sealer. If it's metal trim, then I would try a fine polish or AIO followed with a protectant or sealer. If that doesn't work then I would repaint it with a matte or semi-gloss rattle can.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for the crummy photo. Screenshot taken from a video. (Left prior to cleaning, right cleaned)

I cleaned my parents 2009 Toyota Sienna window trim with HD Speed polish (by hand). Sounds strange but I’ve had the same luck cleaning rubber with rubbing compound. Use a microfiber or if MF doesn’t cut the crud off, try a stout fiber terry cotton towel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I have the same thing going on with my car. I think it may be oxidation. I've tried several recommendations but nothing has worked yet.

I heard that Solution Finish will remove oxidation.. that is what Chris West said. I got a bottle the other day and applied it to my very weathered plastic cowl and it did an amazing job at restoring it. I've tried so many things and nothing worked but so far Solution finish has made it look new again. I have yet to try it on my window rubbers/dew wipers but I will be trying it soon to see if it will restore them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailing View Post

Looks good. I will try. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    Looks like a build-up of mineral deposits on the glass. I'd remove it with a single edged razor blade. You could also try something like "Lime-Away" or "CLR" but if you do be sure to test for compatibility with the surrounding surfaces.

For the trim, if it is plastic/rubber, I would try cleaning with the same "Lime-Away" or "CLR" followed by lacquer thinner. Again, test for compatibility. Then apply a protectant or sealer. If it's metal trim, then I would try a fine polish or AIO followed with a protectant or sealer. If that doesn't work then I would repaint it with a matte or semi-gloss rattle can.
    I never thought about clr. And like always when I’m looking for my bottle of clr...that I haven’t used in a few years I can’t find it.

I figured I would try the clr then polish it like LED did. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jem7sk View Post
    I have the same thing going on with my car. I think it may be oxidation. I've tried several recommendations but nothing has worked yet.

I heard that Solution Finish will remove oxidation.. that is what Chris West said. I got a bottle the other day and applied it to my very weathered plastic cowl and it did an amazing job at restoring it. I've tried so many things and nothing worked but so far Solution finish has made it look new again. I have yet to try it on my window rubbers/dew wipers but I will be trying it soon to see if it will restore them.
    Thanks for the solution finish recommendation. I hadn’t thought of that one. I guess my first thought is to try to repair (clean my way to a new finish) but I may need to go this route.

Post Thanks / Like
    Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast