autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Noob confused on polishing and paint correction..

I've lurked in the shadows here for a long time (both before becoming a member and since) and it's time I just simply ask a couple questions. Since so many here are knowledgable and gracious with solid helpful input, here we go..

The more I read and watch youtube videos, the more confused I'm getting. Just when I had my shopping list finalized, I see/read something that steers me in another direction.

Until now, my detailing steps have been (get ready, cringeworthy):

As necessary:
    Occasional rubbing compound on damp applicator for tar/scratches
    Turtle Hybrid Graphene Flex Wax (every couple months)
    Light buff from oldschool double-handle circle buffer thing or small handheld (maybe 4 inch) buffer (usually yearly)
    Mothers clay bar (once or twice a year)

Weekly Wash:
    Meguires ultimate wheel cleaner
    Adams Car Shampoo in foam cannon and double bucket and microfiber mitts
    Meguires Hyper dressing (wheels)
    Griots Best in show Spray wax
    Griots Speed shine (if a full wash isn't needed)

After using Ceramic (and now Graphene) Spray Waxes by Meguires and Turtle, I like the simple/flexible application, and feeling like I can't really overdo it, but would like to get a little more shine and get rid of some light swirls, so I've chosen the following to purchase:

Griot's G9
    5" Backing plate
    5.5" LC Flatpads - 4 yellow, 4 orange, 4 black (to get started)
    Griot's Correcting Cream (to use with either the yellow or orange pads)
    ????? Polish (to use with the black pads)

As I'm understanding, my main steps would be as follows:
    Wash
    Iron Removal
    Clay Bar
    Paint Correction (such as griots correcting cream on orange or yellow pad)
    Polish (such as Carpro Essence on black pad)
    IPA Wipe
    Wax or Sealant

I'd love input on which paint correction and polish products you'd recommend for use with the G9 and whether those products could still be topped with spray waxes or ceramic spray waxes.

Since it may be helpful, both vehicles are white. One is Range Rover, the other Land Rover. Paint is in very good condition on both vehicles with no major (deep) scratches and no rust.

Thank you so much for your input and advice!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Noob confused on polishing and paint correction..

The first thing I would suggest is the stop reading so much. I agree, you can totally confuse yourself and think you have to go through a tremendous amount of steps to get a nice looking car. Nothing could be further from the truth especially with the cars that you currently own, and especially since they are both white. Very easy color to correct and keep protected. I’ll make it very simple as I think sometimes people can write too many complicated things here.
    1. Wash and dcon the car.
    2. just polish once with something like Carpro essence gloss enhancer, Or blackfire one step. Use a medium pad at medium speed and when you get done if you still have swirls , do it again. And if you still have swirls do it again, well you get my drift. Just keep polishing it until,it looks like you want it to look. With either of these products and a G9, you are taking off a minor minuscule amount of clearcoat. Nothing to ever worry about.
    3. Then I would wipe on the sealant such as the turtle wax like you were using or something like the Wolfgang deep gloss sealants\ talked about here. I am currently wiping on car pro elixir every couple months, I really like it because it’s so easy and it gives you a great look.
    4. . For maintenance I would do a 2 bucket wash or rinseless wash using any of the car pro products, they work great. And above all , drive the car and have fun and don’t go down the rabbit hole of spending all weekend detailing your car. Your wife can’t see the difference.
    Glen -

3. Thanks BraveRhino thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, Jayfro liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Glen is right about reading yourself into insanity, Lol

Your process seems solid.

I'd change your 4 Yellow LC Flat pads to White ones. You stated that you only had light swirling, and the Yellow LC's are a little on the aggressive side.

If you use Griot's Fast Correcting Cream with the White or Orange LC's, I think you will find that it can conquer just about anything.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

5. Thanks BraveRhino thanked for this post
    Likes Jayfro, dwaleke, Goonie75 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If I was brand new to this I would look at system approaches, i.e., tools and products designed to work as a system. Since you are looking at the G9 as a polisher (good choice by the way) I'd compliment that with their polishes and pads.

A lot of us have our own preferences developed over time, but for someone just starting out, you can't really go wrong with the system approach. Another plus with this approach is the decision making process of what to buy suddenly becomes much easier.

Input from various members here will result in various recommendations thus adding to your confusion. Pick a well known brand/system and go with it.

After you have some experience you can then venture into other tools/products if you desire.

And a final note... Skip the IPA wipe unless it is specifically recommended by the manufacturer of the product you're using.

7. Thanks BraveRhino thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    just polish once with something like Carpro essence gloss enhancer, Or blackfire one step. Use a medium pad at medium speed and when you get done if you still have swirls , do it again.
    I cannot tell you how happy this simple comment makes me. Perfect.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    I'd change your 4 Yellow LC Flat pads to White ones. You stated that you only had light swirling, and the Yellow LC's are a little on the aggressive side.
    I appreciate this, and will heed your advice. I suppose I can always add more aggressive pads to the mix down the road if necessary! Appreciate it!!

Mike Phillips

The words "paint correction" mean doing one or more of these,

1. Compounding
    2. Polishing
    3. Using an AIO also called a cleaner/wax

Simple really.

But it all starts with getting and learning to use an orbital polisher of some nature.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    The words "paint correction" mean doing one or more of these,

1. Compounding
    2. Polishing
    3. Using an AIO also called a cleaner/wax

Simple really.

But it all starts with getting and learning to use an orbital polisher of some nature.

Yes, and thank you Mike. Ordering the G9 today and can't wait to get working!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a quick word of thanks for the valuable input, guys! I really appreciate your thoughts and recommndations.

Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    polish once with something like Carpro essence gloss enhancer, Or blackfire one step. Use a medium pad at medium speed and when you get done if you still have swirls , do it again.
    Went with the Carpro Essence, thank you for the recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    White ones. You stated that you only had light swirling, and the Yellow LC's are a little on the aggressive side.
    Per your input, went with white, I appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    If I was brand new to this I would look at system approaches
    Carpro Essence and Carpro pads are on the way! =)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    The G9 will be here in a couple days, can't wait to get using it. Thank you Mike for all the knowledge and support you so willingly give here on the forum.