autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New to Paint Correction - Help!

Hi!
    Apologies in advance for the long post! So many questions!

I have what I think is a pretty good understanding of car paint care/maintenance (washing, clay bar, etc). Have been wanting to get into paint correction though. I just purchased this kit and am really hoping to get into some light paint correction/polishing for my fun car. Watched tons of videos, read tons of articles, but it is about time to get to actual work and make it happen! I purchased this kit:

Griot's G9 BLACKFIRE One Step Fundamentals Kit

G9, Blackfire Onestep, 5” backing plate conversion, 6x white LC pads, 12x polishing cloths, etc.

My main goal is to paint correct the Camaro I just purchased last week (3 years old, 6k miles), and then get whatever coating/wax/sealant, etc I can to get me the most shine/gloss on the car. The car is white though unfortunately! I understand that the polish is key, everything else that goes on top of the paint won’t do much if the clear is marred like crazy.

My first step, is to get some experience with the G9 since I have never used a DA polisher. The Blackfire One Step I got was mostly to try to correct the paint on my Honda Fit beater, also white. It is a 2013 with about 70k miles and the paint is pretty neglected. I am not trying to get it perfect though, I just want to build confidence before I tackle my Camaro. Is the kit I got (the Blackfire Onestep, and the white LC pads) a decent product for what I am trying to do? I understand that a different product will act differently though. I probably should have asked on here before I bought the kit! I hope this will be okay? I also understand I am not going to be a pro after doing a few cars. I am just hoping I can get good results if I take my time, go slow, and put in the work.

Next after I paint correct the Honda, I was planning on tackling my wife’s two year old white Equinox. On this car, the paint is definitely not super well cared for either (wife takes it through the tunnel wash, it goes weeks without getting washed) I was going to try to find the same polish type product that I will end up using on my Camaro to use on the equinox. Not sure if this is a super great idea though since, again I am 90% doing this for practice before I work on my Camaro. The Equinox doesn’t need the greatest polish/shine, whereas the Camaro I want to get the best/most fine polish I can on it if it will help with the glossiness/shine (can go for a two step correction on the Camaro)! What are some recommendations on products for this Equinox? And what should I use on the Camaro? Pad and polish? I doubt I will ever paint correct the Honda or the Equinox ever again unless my wife likes it and asks I do so.

I was thinking of getting Sonax Perfect Finish, but not sure if maybe the cut on this is too much for the Camaro? The paint has swirls if I use a flashlight, but overall looks good otherwise. Should I use a two step product for a better more fine polish!? A low cut since car is in pretty good shape and has little miles, and a more fine polish would maybe be a better look for a garage queen!? What pads should I go with? I think this black LC pad would work well for finishing?

5.5 inch Lake Country Force Hybrid Black Pad (Single)

Is there something else altogether that I should go with that will finish out even better, or, will I not even notice any additional gloss especially since the Camaro is white?

My plan with all three cars will be:
    Wash
    Iron decontamination with Blackfire Iron remover (just purchased this)
    Clay
    IPA wipe
    Polish ( Blackfire Onestep for the Honda, ? for the Equinox and Camaro?)

Then on the Camaro, I will do an IPA wipe (probably go with CarPro version) and then I was thinking of going with Crystal Serum Light, then two coats of EXO, and then maintain with Beadmaker for added gloss. I have read this is a popular easy coating to do and has great shine, BUT, any other recommendations for what will make a white car look the most glossy? The Camaro is a garage queen that only goes out on nice clear days, no rain, etc. So I am not super worried about protection.. Just want to get that crazy shine.
    Thanks in advance, really appreciate all the help! This site and forum have been extremely helpful in all my research.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New to Paint Correction - Help!

Quote Originally Posted by serper3 View Post
    Hi!
    Apologies in advance for the long post! So many questions!

I have what I think is a pretty good understanding of car paint care/maintenance (washing, clay bar, etc). Have been wanting to get into paint correction though. I just purchased this kit and am really hoping to get into some light paint correction/polishing for my fun car. Watched tons of videos, read tons of articles, but it is about time to get to actual work and make it happen! I purchased this kit:

Griot's G9 BLACKFIRE One Step Fundamentals Kit

G9, Blackfire Onestep, 5” backing plate conversion, 6x white LC pads, 12x polishing cloths, etc.

My main goal is to paint correct the Camaro I just purchased last week (3 years old, 6k miles), and then get whatever coating/wax/sealant, etc I can to get me the most shine/gloss on the car. The car is white though unfortunately! I understand that the polish is key, everything else that goes on top of the paint won’t do much if the clear is marred like crazy.

My first step, is to get some experience with the G9 since I have never used a DA polisher. The Blackfire One Step I got was mostly to try to correct the paint on my Honda Fit beater, also white. It is a 2013 with about 70k miles and the paint is pretty neglected. I am not trying to get it perfect though, I just want to build confidence before I tackle my Camaro. Is the kit I got (the Blackfire Onestep, and the white LC pads) a decent product for what I am trying to do? I understand that a different product will act differently though. I probably should have asked on here before I bought the kit! I hope this will be okay? I also understand I am not going to be a pro after doing a few cars. I am just hoping I can get good results if I take my time, go slow, and put in the work.

Next after I paint correct the Honda, I was planning on tackling my wife’s two year old white Equinox. On this car, the paint is definitely not super well cared for either (wife takes it through the tunnel wash, it goes weeks without getting washed) I was going to try to find the same polish type product that I will end up using on my Camaro to use on the equinox. Not sure if this is a super great idea though since, again I am 90% doing this for practice before I work on my Camaro. The Equinox doesn’t need the greatest polish/shine, whereas the Camaro I want to get the best/most fine polish I can on it if it will help with the glossiness/shine (can go for a two step correction on the Camaro)! What are some recommendations on products for this Equinox? And what should I use on the Camaro? Pad and polish? I doubt I will ever paint correct the Honda or the Equinox ever again unless my wife likes it and asks I do so.

I was thinking of getting Sonax Perfect Finish, but not sure if maybe the cut on this is too much for the Camaro? The paint has swirls if I use a flashlight, but overall looks good otherwise. Should I use a two step product for a better more fine polish!? A low cut since car is in pretty good shape and has little miles, and a more fine polish would maybe be a better look for a garage queen!? What pads should I go with? I think this black LC pad would work well for finishing?

5.5 inch Lake Country Force Hybrid Black Pad (Single)

Is there something else altogether that I should go with that will finish out even better, or, will I not even notice any additional gloss especially since the Camaro is white?

My plan with all three cars will be:
    Wash
    Iron decontamination with Blackfire Iron remover (just purchased this)
    Clay
    IPA wipe
    Polish ( Blackfire Onestep for the Honda, ? for the Equinox and Camaro?)

Then on the Camaro, I will do an IPA wipe (probably go with CarPro version) and then I was thinking of going with Crystal Serum Light, then two coats of EXO, and then maintain with Beadmaker for added gloss. I have read this is a popular easy coating to do and has great shine, BUT, any other recommendations for what will make a white car look the most glossy? The Camaro is a garage queen that only goes out on nice clear days, no rain, etc. So I am not super worried about protection.. Just want to get that crazy shine.
    Thanks in advance, really appreciate all the help! This site and forum have been extremely helpful in all my research.
    Hi. Ill throw in my 2 cents.... IMO... prep is key to coatings. Thats the decontamination, physical and chemical. The one step BF will leave behind a protective layer and you don't really want that with coatings. Even if you use a panel wipe, it will still be there.

Id use a polish and just a polish and there are lots of great polishes out there on AG.... If you're going to coat. The one-step would be fine for things you want to spruce up but don't coat.... maybe wax or seal those for a bit more protection....

I think the force pads are for forced rotation machines but should work just fine although the black lake country flats are great too.... ill post the Redeye I just did with M210 and black lake country pads. Coated with CSL and EXO...

The Wolfgang total swirl remover is a medium polish and may do you good with white pads as might 3D One....

Hope that helps a bit. Good luck.

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app

3. Thanks serper3 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goonie75 View Post
    Hi. Ill throw in my 2 cents.... IMO... prep is key to coatings. Thats the decontamination, physical and chemical. The one step BF will leave behind a protective layer and you don't really want that with coatings. Even if you use a panel wipe, it will still be there.

Id use a polish and just a polish and there are lots of great polishes out there on AG.... If you're going to coat. The one-step would be fine for things you want to spruce up but don't coat.... maybe wax or seal those for a bit more protection....

I think the force pads are for forced rotation machines but should work just fine although the black lake country flats are great too.... ill post the Redeye I just did with M210 and black lake country pads. Coated with CSL and EXO...

The Wolfgang total swirl remover is a medium polish and may do you good with white pads as might 3D One....

Hope that helps a bit. Good luck.

Ryan

Thanks! Yea I definitely was not planning on using the BF one step on the Camaro that I am going to coat. Honestly I wanted the G9 with the 5.5" backing plate conversion, and there was a kit that had that on AG and it included the BF one step so i figure it would be good product to practice with.

So you think just a medium polish is okay on the Camaro? No cut needed? White pads though wouldn't that not be the best to finish with as I think they are a medium cut pad?

I know the test spot is key, the only issue is if i stocked up on a bunch of different pads, in decent quantity, and then a bunch of different cutting and polishing compounds, for one, my wife may cause me to go missing, two, i enjoy diy and spending time on the car, but for me to spend so much money on doing 1 car 1 time a year... it may just be more economical for me to go somewhere to have the work done, which I dont really want to do I guess, allthough i have done that with cars i have had in the past. get it polished every 1-2 years.

Thank you for the help though!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! Yea I definitely was not planning on using the BF one step on the Camaro that I am going to coat. Honestly I wanted the G9 with the 5.5" backing plate conversion, and there was a kit that had that on AG and it included the BF one step so i figure it would be good product to practice with.

So you think just a medium polish is okay on the Camaro? No cut needed? White pads though wouldn't that not be the best to finish with as I think they are a medium cut pad?

I know the test spot is key, the only issue is if i stocked up on a bunch of different pads, in decent quantity, and then a bunch of different cutting and polishing compounds, for one, my wife may cause me to go missing, two, i enjoy diy and spending time on the car, but for me to spend so much money on doing 1 car 1 time a year... it may just be more economical for me to go somewhere to have the work done, which I dont really want to do I guess, allthough i have done that with cars i have had in the past. get it polished every 1-2 years.

Thank you for the help though!
    The TSR is good stuff and without pictures its hard to say. White does hide well. Does well with a white pad. Get too aggressive and you'll be doing g a 2 step... lol

Post Thanks / Like

You have snagged three of the best DIY paint correction products made.

The G9, the BF One Step, and the LC Flat pads.

Medium polish has cut, and the white LC flats are a great finish-down pad in most cases.

Just start with these fine products you have purchased, do your test spots, and see what happens. The AGO community will be here to help with the rest. (Well, maybe not the beatings from the wife. But we MAY be able to keep them to a bare minimum......... )
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

7. Thanks serper3 thanked for this post
    Likes Goonie75, Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    You have snagged three of the best DIY paint correction products made.

The G9, the BF One Step, and the LC Flat pads.

Medium polish has cut, and the white LC flats are a great finish-down pad in most cases.

Just start with these fine products you have purchased, do your test spots, and see what happens. The AGO community will be here to help with the rest. (Well, maybe not the beatings from the wife. But we MAY be able to keep them to a bare minimum......... )
    Thanks lol! I probably should specify if I stop posting, and then also, my car happens to come up for sale... send help!! lol

I guess I am a bit away before I get to touching the Camaro with a polisher. I can get started with the Honda and the BF One Step and see how it goes. I just wish I wouldn't have to wait around a week to get new products in the mail if something doesn't work. Will have to limit my work on the car time to a 2-4 hours or so a day anyway so hopefully it doesnt take more than several days to get the car done lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks lol! I probably should specify if I stop posting, and then also, my car happens to come up for sale... send help!! lol

I guess I am a bit away before I get to touching the Camaro with a polisher. I can get started with the Honda and the BF One Step and see how it goes. I just wish I wouldn't have to wait around a week to get new products in the mail if something doesn't work. Will have to limit my work on the car time to a 2-4 hours or so a day anyway so hopefully it doesnt take more than several days to get the car done lol.
    Nice. Lol

If you are an Amazon Prime member, there ARE products you can buy from them that are fulfilled by PBMG/AutoGeek. Just (please) check the seller to make sure.

Keep us posted on the progress!
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

10. Thanks serper3 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Nice. Lol

If you are an Amazon Prime member, there ARE products you can buy from them that are fulfilled by PBMG/AutoGeek. Just (please) check the seller to make sure.

Keep us posted on the progress!
    Will do that is helpful I did not know that! Here is a pic of the Camaro before I drove it down from Texas to CA about 1600 miles last weekend!

Any recommendations on coatings or polishes to get the best shine on a white car would be appreciated!! Would love to get started on research and keep it in my cart for when a sale comes up on AG in the next few weeks!

It looks pretty good here in the pics and when i did the first wash when I got it home! This is naked paint it has no coatings or details or anything like that. Thanks everyone!

12D5DEFA-9D1C-4BFB-8E19-D2E56243B0AA by serper3

E4E8EFA1-D428-45E5-9740-6ACFE7D3D513 (1) by serper3, on Flickr

12. Likes PaulMys, DETAILROOKIE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Will do that is helpful I did not know that! Here is a pic of the Camaro before I drove it down from Texas to CA about 1600 miles last weekend!

Any recommendations on coatings or polishes to get the best shine on a white car would be appreciated!! Would love to get started on research and keep it in my cart for when a sale comes up on AG in the next few weeks!

It looks pretty good here in the pics and when i did the first wash when I got it home! This is naked paint it has no coatings or details or anything like that. Thanks everyone!

12D5DEFA-9D1C-4BFB-8E19-D2E56243B0AA by serper3

E4E8EFA1-D428-45E5-9740-6ACFE7D3D513 (1) by serper3, on Flickr
    Nice ZL1! I got a summit white SS and did a test spot spot with Griots correcting cream. Highly recommend getting some of that and then some CarPro essence to finish up before coating.

Will be coating soon and my plan is to first try Essence with a Orange pad. If that removes the swirl then nice.

If not Griots CC on a Yellow and if not the with an orange pad.

You seem way to worried about polishing. As long as you don’t hold it in one place for a long time it’s pretty fool proof. Just watch some videos and get use to arm speed and pressure on your fit and you’ll be fine

Above is with a couple coats of DoDo shinecraft which I just topped with Polish Angel Cosmic.

Not yo much you can get to get white to pop and these two products did it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Thanks serper3 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice color choice. Well my first question is do you want to go straight to a full blown multi year coating or would you like to start with a coating lite version which is just as effective. Sort of getting your feet wet with a coating. Those matte areas will need a little different coating.

You must follow Obsessed Garage seeing you chose Gtechniq CSL/Exo topped with beadmaker lol. Nothing wrong with these coatings. Many like them for their slickness and relatively ease of application. Just be aware that you will need more towels when working with Exo. I used to have this combo on my 02 Camaro which is white and for me it was ok. I ended up transitioning over to Cquartz on it. If you plan to stay with Gtechniq then consider Halo for those matte surfaces or even C1 per Gtechniq.

Many don't like beadmaker due to it being a magnet for dust.

As far as gloss well it is going to be hard to get white to give you that wow factor such as black. It needs the right lighting for that. Polishing and/or compounding will give the best gloss regardless of the protection product used. As you stated it is hard to determine what needs to be done without the test spot.

You mentioned Sonax Perfect Finish and that is good option for polishing. It would be a good idea to have a compound just in case you need it. Sonax Cut Max would be good to have on hand.

As far as pads since you have a Griot's tool you could just invest in their pads and even their polishes. Lake Country SDO pads are nice for short throw polishers. The Rupes yellow pad is a great polishing pad.

16. Thanks serper3 thanked for this post
    Likes dwaleke, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast