autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Opened liftgate in garage - OCD engaged

The aggressiveness of ultimate polish is pretty low. That shouldn't cause much harm so go ahead and try it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blinkme323 View Post
    I have Meguiars Ultimate polish on hand here, do you guys think that would suffice? I think I'll give it a shot today if so.
    Ultimate Polish is a good starting point if you are at all apprehensive. Personally, I think if you have any chance of removing the scratch with reasonable effort Ultimate Compound would be a better choice.

I think the fear of rubbing through is discussed so often on this forum that beginners and those with less experience become overly concerned. Understandably so. But paint doesn't just disappear when you hit it with a compound, especially when working by hand. It takes some effort and much more than many beginners will ever realize.

Just use a little common sense. Polish a little, wipe clean, and inspect the results. Repeat as necessary until you achieve the result you desire -or- you've reached your tolerance limit for risk.

With all that said, also be aware that not all scratches can be completely removed. It's really a case-by-case judgement call. There are many times when the best course of action is no action at all, or simply polishing just enough to soften the edges of the scratch.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    Not to say that one way is right and the other wrong, but I would go at it initially with a fingertip, terry towel, and polish. Isolate the effort to the scratched area. Once the scratch is polished to your satisfaction, then go over that area and the surrounding area lightly using either microfiber or foam for the final finishing.

Although not critical in this case, my general philosophy for any type of repair is to keep the repair as small as possible, thus the fingertip method. There is no need to be removing paint one, two, or three inches away from the scratch.
    This is true, but with little or no experience, one can get carried away.

There was a post (with pic) not too long ago where a guy was going after scratches under the door handle, and he actually went right through not only the clear, but the base coat as well.

But you are right, John. If you use enough common sense, then just going after the scratch area would make sense. I was just cautioning the OP of the "worst case" scenario........
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

4. Likes 2black1s liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well just to update, I went over the scratches very lightly by hand with some ultimate compound followed by polish. Much, much improved. I suspect I could diminish the appearance even further with a bit more effort, but I may just cut my losses at this point.

6. Likes dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blinkme323 View Post
    That is one of the few areas that I did not get PPF'd :/
    How does the tailgate not get PPFd if it was "PPFd from front to back"

That isnt gonna come out with just compound by hand most likely. Maybe go get some touch up paint from the dealer and watch some youtube for touch up application
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12