autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Opened liftgate in garage - OCD engaged

Opened liftgate in garage - OCD engaged

I just picked up my car a few weeks ago, PPF'd it from front to back, et al. As luck would have it though, I accidentally opened the tailgate in the garage and it left two tiny scratches/etches in the paint (about 1/8 inch each). Is there anything that I can or should do with these? Or am I just being nuts?

I know any method by hand likely won't work since I can catch them with my fingernail, but it has really triggered my OCD.

Mike Phillips

Re: Opened liftgate in garage - OCD engaged

You could try rubbing a little Meguiar's Ultimate Compound over the area and the seal with our favorite wax or sealant.

Post Thanks / Like

Is that area PPF'd? If so, is it self healing? If so, heat gun on low for a about 10-15 seconds at a safe 6-8". If not, don't compound or try and remove it as the clear on PPF is thin.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    Is that area PPF'd? If so, is it self healing? If so, heat gun on low for a about 10-15 seconds at a safe 6-8". If not, don't compound or try and remove it as the clear on PPF is thin.
    That is one of the few areas that I did not get PPF'd :/

Post Thanks / Like

Just lightly polish to minimize the edges and make them less noticeable but since you can feel them with fingernail, they're too deep to remove, you'd blow through the clear coat.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Even with some scratches that you can feel with your fingernail, polishing cam make them almost invisible. (If they are not super deep).

Just remember to work (polish) a larger area than just the tiny area where the scratches are. Like Bruno said above, if you just take polish and aggressively go after the tiny scratch area (especially with a finger tip), it is incredibly easy to strike right through the clear coat.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Even with some scratches that you can feel with your fingernail, polishing cam make them almost invisible. (If they are not super deep).

Just remember to work (polish) a larger area than just the tiny area where the scratches are. Like Bruno said above, if you just take polish and aggressively go after the tiny scratch area (especially with a finger tip), it is incredibly easy to strike right through the clear coat.
    Thank you all for the suggestions. So if I do anything, just go over it lightly by hand with a polish and applicator?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blinkme323 View Post
    Thank you all for the suggestions. So if I do anything, just go over it lightly by hand with a polish and applicator?
    That's where I would start, yes.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Not to say that one way is right and the other wrong, but I would go at it initially with a fingertip, terry towel, and polish. Isolate the effort to the scratched area. Once the scratch is polished to your satisfaction, then go over that area and the surrounding area lightly using either microfiber or foam for the final finishing.

Although not critical in this case, my general philosophy for any type of repair is to keep the repair as small as possible, thus the fingertip method. There is no need to be removing paint one, two, or three inches away from the scratch.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

That's where I would start, yes.

I have Meguiars Ultimate polish on hand here, do you guys think that would suffice? I think I'll give it a shot today if so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast