autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: #&$#@& high spots in coating

You need a professional photography softbox light. They are 80 dollars on Amazon for 2 of them

Post Thanks / Like

Here’s the ‘after’ picture of the area with the most high spots...
    #&$#@& high spots in coating-1c74ef19-5f0e-4c8d-b5bd-493ef23e4fb1-jpg

Here’s the panel I did today in sun light. Think I could see all the spots better, though at the end it had gotten more in shadow.
    #&$#@& high spots in coating-e8941c08-0221-4f25-9fd6-4bc2f5857236-jpg

Mike Phillips

Didn't read this thread, just scanned it so I didn't see if the OP mentioned he has a swirl finder light?

Installing a Ceramic Paint Coating? You MUST have a GREAT hand held light to avoid high spots!

And for what it's worth, I installed my first coating back in 2011 - that's 10 years ago. I still find I leave high spots. I think sometimes at the time of installation and inspection - they are GONE. Then the next day if I find one, it's some coating that continued to dry/cure and became visible after the fact.

Post Thanks / Like

Don’t have a swirl finder light. What is the difference in a swirl finder and regular lights?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Texchappy View Post

Don’t have a swirl finder light.

What is the difference in a swirl finder and regular lights?
    Focused bright light.

Big Picture is a strong light that enables your eyes to see patches of coating that you didn't wipe off.

And hand-held so you can inspect vertical panels. Especially the lower portions of the vertical panels.

The first pictures in the article I linked to tells the story...

AND - the STORY I shared in the article tells the story.

Post Thanks / Like

It’s not sold as a swirl finder light but I did use a bright handheld led work light and a tactical flash light. I had read the article before I tried the coating

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't read all posts here, but I used a 3 towel method when I applied the CSL+EXO.
    I actually found this from Obsessed Garage when they did a detail on a '65 type Cobra roadster and had the Gtechniq guys there.

First towel, as others have said, mostly just spreads it a bit.
    2nd was to get a little more wiped off and go a wee bit farther from where I applied. I went out another few inches past where I applied the coating.
    3rd was to get all the last possible spots that I missed as well as wipe the sections that I may have pushed the coating on during the first wipe. I went as far as a foot beyond where I originally applied the coating. I may have been a little too meticulous about preventing high spots, but I don't think I have any. I haven't really inspected the car in the sun or cloudy day. It's been about 1 year since I applied.

I flipped towels periodically throughout the process.
    After about 1/3 of the car, towel 1 got tossed, towel 2 became new 1st, towel 3 became 2nd and a new towel was used for final wipe.

8. Likes Texchappy, dgage, TMQ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Odrapnew View Post
    I didn't read all posts here, but I used a 3 towel method when I applied the CSL+EXO.
    I actually found this from Obsessed Garage when they did a detail on a '65 type Cobra roadster and had the Gtechniq guys there.

2nd was to get a little more wiped off and go a wee bit farther from where I applied. I went out another few inches past where I applied the coating.
    3rd was to get all the last possible spots that I missed as well as wipe the sections that I may have pushed the coating on during the first wipe. I went as far as a foot beyond where I originally applied the coating. I may have been a little too meticulous about preventing high spots, but I don't think I have any. I haven't really inspected the car in the sun or cloudy day. It's been about 1 year since I applied.

After about 1/3 of the car, towel 1 got tossed, towel 2 became new 1st, towel 3 became 2nd and a new towel was used for final wipe.
    Watched the video and took some of the tips. Moved to using more towels, I’ll have to buy some more, and that helped too. Biggest aid I think is moving it to where it gets good indirect sun light.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Did you use any type of handheld light to inspect for high spots?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Odrapnew View Post

Be careful with some of his “tips” he doesn’t always get it right.

12. Likes dwaleke liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast