autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: #&$#@& high spots in coating

I've done probably about 15 coatings to date.

In each and every coating I've done, always have at least one high spot! Always!

Drive me nuts!

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

2. Likes Texchappy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Texchappy View Post

I will make sure, if I do this again, that I’ll make sure I can pull in my shop where the lights are much brighter. I made the most of every work light, hand light, and overhead light I could but there we’re definitely shadows.
    I normally apply coating indoor vs outdoor. I use low nap towels as well but with a twist. I have them in different colors. Blue for initial removal, green for second wipe, and I follow up with a plush towel for final wipe. Just like pads... I switch to new towels every panel or two. To inspect for high spots, I find fluorescent light source to be better at detecting them. As you go over the area with a light source... you really have to look at it from many different angles by moving your head every which way.

The best way for me is to get some young eyes to help. Young eyes for some reason often can spot things I dont see. LOL Seriously... having a partner who was not involved in the process to go over the vehicle really helps.

4. Likes Texchappy, Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I will continue to do coatings on my cars that are light colored so you can’t see my 1 or 2 highspots. But the F150 truck was a royal pain to coat, massive panels. Back to a couple coats of Colinite next time, less headaches
    2022 Carrera S & Honda CRV Hybrid
    2015 Lexus IS 350, 2016 Ford F-150
    Cobalt 242 (8.1 L block, Volvo outdrive)

6. Likes Texchappy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Folks need to relax. A high spot is not the end of the world. They are to be expected especially when first applying. They are easy to fix. A medium cut polish is more than enough and simply recoat the area. The reason it is recommended to do the whole panel is that spot correction has the potential to appear darker in that area.

Again an easy fix that is blown out of proportion.

Lighting is key, preferably diffused lighting. Multiple towels are also important.

8. Likes hoyt66, TMQ, PearTree, opie, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I do like the way ceramic coatings protect from bird bombs, non of my non ceramic coatings even come close for bird bomb protection.i do all my coatings indoor with controlled lighting.
    2022 Carrera S & Honda CRV Hybrid
    2015 Lexus IS 350, 2016 Ford F-150
    Cobalt 242 (8.1 L block, Volvo outdrive)

Post Thanks / Like

Don’t give up, it happens. You’ll get better with more applications. It takes focus and good lighting to see them. Takes methodical wiping because it’s the towel pushing product around that causes the high spots.

Worst case scenario you polish the affected panel and coat again. Don’t just leave the high spot there or you will always look at it and hate the job. The first time you wash the car you’ll smile and love coatings again.
    Bruno Soares

11. Thanks Texchappy, keegancarcare thanked for this post
    Likes Texchappy, The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Had good luck with the CCS orange hand pad and Mezerna SF4000. The door I did I couple of days ago with the halogen work light pointed at it from the side was the worst by far. I was exhausted by the time I got to it. I had done the hand buffing in spots, polished the rear fender with the G9, and applied a layer of the Lite to that panel. I ended up going over that door with G9 on 1 with an orange LC flat pad and SF4000. I’m torn whether I want to try to put more lite on those areas or just leave it and see when it fails relative to the other panels. The best panel for high spots was the hood. It was under the fluorescent fixture when I did it. The high spots were all at the edges of panels, especially at the bottom where it turns under the trim.

here’s the before pic, I’ll get the after in a bit...
    #&$#@& high spots in coating-5cb83e25-3b0a-4272-9a80-04c9cdc6a524-jpeg

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, this reminds me of five years ago with my C7 Corvette. I had the exact same situation with CQUK and Reload and spent the better part of a day straightening out my mistakes until I got it right. I just don’t want to ever do that again. I agree with everybody above that it takes a certain type of procedure and a certain type of acumen to get it done, in my old age I just don’t have that type of patience anymore. Particularly when I can get great gloss with easier products (occasionally have to doing it more often) than a coating but still… It’s easier on my old tired body to wipe on , buff and walk away. With no semi permanent mistakes in view.
    Glen -

14. Likes Texchappy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Glen, after the front and back I’ll have a year to think about if I want to do it again. I could see high spots a lot better in the sun - I think :/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Texchappy View Post
    Glen, after the front and back I’ll have a year to think about if I want to do it again. I could see high spots a lot better in the sun - I think :/
    Cloudy days are when you’ll see them the easiest. Very sunny days actually hide the high spots at bit, at least on metallic paint which is pretty much all I’ve coated so far.
    Bruno Soares

17. Likes The Guz, dwaleke liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast