autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

#&$#@& high spots in coating

It’s been a week since I applied CQUARTZ Lite to the driver side of my wife’s SUV. When I put it on, I went over it with a light. I took care of the one high spot I saw. I’ve looked it over inside again and when it’s been in direct sun. Didn’t see a darned thing. Today, when it was out in the sun, I noticed three rainbow sections. They’re not huge but large enough I would have seen them ove the last seven days sometime. Is it normal for them to show up sometime later?

My plan is to go over them with a light ccs hand pad and Mezerna SF4000 gently to lowering the appearance of them? If that doesn’t work then I’ll probably leave them. If I have to polish the whole panels again that might be it for me and coatings. I just don’t have the energy.

I will make sure, if I do this again, that I’ll make sure I can pull in my shop where the lights are much brighter. I made the most of every work light, hand light, and overhead light I could but there we’re definitely shadows.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: #&$#@& high spots in coating

The funny thing is that all three areas are in the area of the car I took the photo of to show what I’d done...
    #&$#@& high spots in coating-108969e1-ee8b-4cd7-9dce-716797624cf4-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

You’re experiencing why I gave up coatings, I always had at least one spot or two spots but I couldn’t correct and/or I didn’t wanna bother with. That, and water spots.I’m back to ceramic sprays and very happy.
    Glen -

4. Likes Texchappy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, this is one of the main reasons why I don't do coatings at all.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

6. Likes Texchappy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’d suggest using something like Essence by hand to remove it or lighten the high spots. Residue easily transfers to random area if not wiped methodically and your towels aren’t changed out enough.
    I’m not sure what your leveling process was but here’s how I level coatings. First wipe is with a low knap towel followed by a plush towel. I flip towels frequently as well. When one side is done, I use another fresh towel to back over the entire side before I proceed.

8. Likes PaulMys, The Guz, Bobh59 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Texchappy View Post
    It’s been a week since I applied CQUARTZ Lite to the driver side of my wife’s SUV. When I put it on, I went over it with a light. I took care of the one high spot I saw. I’ve looked it over inside again and when it’s been in direct sun. Didn’t see a darned thing. Today, when it was out in the sun, I noticed three rainbow sections. They’re not huge but large enough I would have seen them ove the last seven days sometime. Is it normal for them to show up sometime later?

My plan is to go over them with a light ccs hand pad and Mezerna SF4000 gently to lowering the appearance of them? If that doesn’t work then I’ll probably leave them. If I have to polish the whole panels again that might be it for me and coatings. I just don’t have the energy.

I will make sure, if I do this again, that I’ll make sure I can pull in my shop where the lights are much brighter. I made the most of every work light, hand light, and overhead light I could but there we’re definitely shadows.
    When it comes to ceramic coatings, it is all about checking for high spots in the right type of lighting. The wrong lighting can wash it out. So it’s not the high spots that decided to show up at a later time. It’s just a matter of making sure to have the proper process and scenario to install coatings.

It happens to the best of us. Unfortunately, my recommendation is to polish the entire panel to redo it—should you decide to go down that route. Otherwise, it will leave an uneven look if you spot buff it.

10. Likes Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    I’d suggest using something like Essence by hand to remove it or lighten the high spots. Residue easily transfers to random area if not wiped methodically and your towels aren’t changed out enough.
    I’m not sure what your leveling process was but here’s how I level coatings. First wipe is with a low knap towel followed by a plush towel. I flip towels frequently as well. When one side is done, I use another fresh towel to back over the entire side before I proceed.
    That’s similar to what I did. Used the towel that came in the kit to go over it once, turning it over after going over the whole section I’d just done and going back over it. Then a higher nap towel to go over every two sections done. After doing this side I went to using one towel but smaller sections done at a time.

12. Likes fly07sti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Tran View Post
    When it comes to ceramic coatings, it is all about checking for high spots in the right type of lighting. The wrong lighting can wash it out. So it’s not the high spots that decided to show up at a later time. It’s just a matter of making sure to have the proper process and scenario to install coatings.

It happens to the best of us. Unfortunately, my recommendation is to polish the entire panel to redo it—should you decide to go down that route. Otherwise, it will leave an uneven look if you spot buff it.
    Guess the rest of the product is going on the trash.

Post Thanks / Like

With your second application you said in your initial coating review post that you just used one towel for removal. The idea behind using multiple towels on taking off the coating is that your initial wipe actually spreads the product and this is usually where high spots occur, if you “push” the coating onto a panel you’ve done already it likely to go unnoticed. When using just one towel it doesn’t take long to get clogged up with the coating and then at that point you’re just smearing the product around.

Sorry you’re having issues

15. Likes Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vobro View Post
    With your second application you said in your initial coating review post that you just used one towel for removal. The idea behind using multiple towels on taking off the coating is that your initial wipe actually spreads the product and this is usually where high spots occur, if you “push” the coating onto a panel you’ve done already it likely to go unnoticed. When using just one towel it doesn’t take long to get clogged up with the coating and then at that point you’re just smearing the product around.

Sorry you’re having issues
    But the sections in question were done with two towels and three passes - short nap from kit, the the same towel turned over, then a longer nap towel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast