autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Been away for 20 years and need guidance!

Hi everyone! Twenty years ago, I spent a lot of time detailing. I haven’t tried many new products since using my PC machine, Zaino, and the Klasse twins years ago. Life happened!(career, kids, etc) I just bought a 2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon and take delivery next Tuesday. I want to get started on a detail for the exterior surfaces including paint, black freedom hardtop, and the black plastic fenders and bumpers. I live in Pa so it will see treated roads in the winter. Can anyone offer some good products worth considering that are easy to use and offer a year of durability with occasional upkeep. It won’t see much garage time at first. Hopefully that will be resolved by winter. My initial plans were to do a clay bar, polish, and sealant like usual. However things have changed a lot and I’m a bit intimidated. Detailing used to involve a six pack, some shade, and some basic knowledge. Now I see people with latex gloves and a chemistry lab. Where do I start? Is ceramic the way to go?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Been away for 20 years and need guidance!

Welcome to AGO! It would be tough to get a year out of a sealant. Something like 303 graphene or a lite coating might be better options.

Post Thanks / Like

Look into the lite coatings - Gyeon CanCoat, CarPro CQuartz lite, etc. They are pretty close to what you describe.

Post Thanks / Like

What's your budget to get back into the game?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoolfso View Post
    What's your budget to get back into the game?
    $200-300 including clay materials, 2-3 buffer pads, a few microfiber towels, and a better more compact foam cannon than the $20 one I bought off Amazon. My PC is still going strong after 20 years of abuse.

Post Thanks / Like

There is no such thing as too many pads or towels. Definitely keep the Porter Cable and maintain the six pack and shade routine.
    I believe in treating everybody with respect, and clean cars. That’s what I believe in.

7. Likes Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm with UncleDavy!

The only thing I'd do is get all Thin Pro pads for that PC. 6-8 of each color white, orange and some blue foamed wool or MF cutting and you're set.

Your new Jeep hopefully only needs clay and polish before your choice of LSP. Maybe an Iron decon too.

I've had good luck with Gyeon CanCoat as a quick 'n easy ceramic coating product. Gives me a good 7-8 months. I'd call it one of those coating "lite" products mentioned above but slightly more robust than some of the best sealants out there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post
    I'm with UncleDavy!

The only thing I'd do is get all Thin Pro pads for that PC. 6-8 of each color white, orange and some blue foamed wool or MF cutting and you're set.
    Sounds like a plan for the polishing set up. If your foam canon is working then I’d save money there too.

Post Thanks / Like

i agree with all the great suggestions above. IMO coating hands down. best protection, ease of cleaning is far above all other LSP's.

Little suggestion if i may...you say you are in PA, as am i. since this is a brand new vehicle and you say it may see winter roads, i highly suggest undercoating your jeep with Fluid Film. cheap and very effective at protecting the underneath.

What good is a well maintained paint surface if its rusting from the inside out? i do all my vehicles...even ones that don't see the salt due to spending their life outside.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brett K View Post
    $200-300 including clay materials, 2-3 buffer pads, a few microfiber towels, and a better more compact foam cannon than the $20 one I bought off Amazon. My PC is still going strong after 20 years of abuse.
    You will eventually need more than just 2-3 pads and while I have more questions for you such as paint condition of your vehicles (along with forum rules taken into account), best approach would be a good compound such as Menzerna FG400, and an AIO like Pinnacle Jeweling Wax, Blackfire AIO, Wolfgang Uber AIO, Duragloss AIO lines are top of the list. Instead of a spray wax get onboard with a drying aid/sealant that you apply after a wash and before you dry the vehicle - as you would get 2-3 months out of that type of LSP. If you want less maintenance on the LSP I have had great experiences with Optimum Car Wax.