autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

CarPro Perl on Interior Trim Issues

Hi,

I used CarPro Perl for the first time last week on my wife's Equinox on plastic trim, dash, etc. I used a cleaner first, and followed the instructions for that product.

I think I am having some issues with the Perl though.. It is somewhat uneven, or streaking, and doesnt look super awesome. It seems to have gotten a bit worse since I put it on. What could my issue be? Did I not shake enough to dilute? I shook for a solid minute. I diluted per the instructions 1:5. Did i spray too much or not enough on the trim? Should I do another application to see if it will get better? Should I spray onto a microfiber and then use that on the trim/interior?

I thought this stuff was going to be amazing and honestly not very happy with it so far. Hopefully something I am doing wrong with it and it will be an easy fix.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: CarPro Perl on Interior Trim Issues

Welcome to AGO.

You should always spray the product on the towel first for even coverage.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Welcome to AGO.

You should always spray the product on the towel first for even coverage.
    Thanks! Long time lurker, and bought quite a bit of stuff from the site over the years.

I think the instructions on the CarPro Perl said to spray on the panel, but this is good to know.

If the interior is just dusty, can i wipe it down with a dry microfiber, and then apply another coat to try to fix? I am hoping I dont need to use the interior cleaner every time right?

I am thinking if I apply another coat of the Perl now, it will get a more shiny? Not my favorite, but better than it being spotty.

Post Thanks / Like

My process is to spray product on the towel, wipe down, then go over it with a dry towel to "buff" any excess.

I am not trying to imply that this will work in every situation with every product on all interiors though.

I have never used PERL on my interior.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

5. Likes robwoodgto liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What did you use to clean with? At 1:5 PERL should darken a bit but not be too finicky. I had an Equinox and that plastic is pretty hard to get to look perfect, I ended up just wiping it down with whatever rinseless wash I used on the outside. I’d hit it with a damp towel and reapply

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    My process is to spray product on the towel, wipe down, then go over it with a dry towel to "buff" any excess.

I am not trying to imply that this will work in every situation with every product on all interiors though.

I have never used PERL on my interior.
    Thanks. I will give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by vobro View Post
    What did you use to clean with? At 1:5 PERL should darken a bit but not be too finicky
    I used P&S Xpress Interior Cleaner. Followed the instructions and went over it with a damp microfiber. waited for the trim to completely dry. saw a lot of people had good luck with PERL so not sure what my issue is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by serper3 View Post
    Thanks. I will give it a try.

I used P&S Xpress Interior Cleaner. Followed the instructions and went over it with a damp microfiber. waited for the trim to completely dry. saw a lot of people had good luck with PERL so not sure what my issue is.
    I like PERL and I also used it at 1:5 and the only 2 vehicle’s that gave me issues were a ‘17 Colorado and a ‘18 Equinox. I just chalked it up to GM plastics, I’ve used it on my Ram,Charger,Durango and an Accord and had no issues. Perhaps the plastic was dry and soaked up the PERL differently? I’d knock it down with a damp towel,let dry and reapply

Post Thanks / Like

Do a test spot @ 1:1

My guess is that the plastic is soaking it up, but there’s not enough moisture in it @5:1 resulting in an uneven look.

10. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vobro View Post
    I like PERL and I also used it at 1:5 and the only 2 vehicle’s that gave me issues were a ‘17 Colorado and a ‘18 Equinox. I just chalked it up to GM plastics, I’ve used it on my Ram,Charger,Durango and an Accord and had no issues. Perhaps the plastic was dry and soaked up the PERL differently? I’d knock it down with a damp towel,let dry and reapply
    Too bad as really I was just testing on my wife's equinox so i can put it on my camaro lol. I might try the damp towl and reapply.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Do a test spot @ 1:1

My guess is that the plastic is soaking it up, but there’s not enough moisture in it @5:1 resulting in an uneven look.
    I dont really want to go 1:1 as that would increase the gloss right? This stuff is already borderline too much gloss for me at 1:5. I like a more natural look. This stuff makes it look more black which I am okay with, i just dont want it much more glossy.

Are you all spraying onto a microfiber and then that onto the trim? Or as the instructions say, spraying it onto the trim directly?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I used Perl at 1:5 on my wife’s previous car. Just once. Didn’t have issues but I didn’t like it. Too shiny and stinky for me.
    Bruno Soares

13. Likes dwaleke liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast