autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Struggling getting results using LHR15 MK3

Hi Everyone

Long time lurker, first time poster here!

I have my own small detailing business part time in the UK and as with most people constantly working on my craft! Being 40 I've been cleaning/valeting/detailing for over 20 years. Over corrected quite a few cars and constantly experimenting with new compounds and pads etc.

I went ahead and bought new a Rupes LHR15 MK3, LHR75e and originally an ibrid nano but since changed to a Flex PXE80.

What I'm finding though is that I'm constantly reaching for my 75e as I get better and more consistent results, this is obviously making me swap pads a lot more and needlessly wear them out instead of using LHR15 for bigger panels.

I've tried everything, from changing speeds, more and less passes, more compound, less compound. I just feel I get around 70% of the results than I would using the 75e

What I do find is that I try and make sure I use 3-4 pea sized drops but that the pad goes dry quickly even though I'm only doing a small area, then I saturate the pad a bit instead but it loses its effectiveness then.

Sounds a bit basic but I must be missing something! Happy to post examples of my work but I'm on Instagram as Wirral Detailing if you wish to take a look.

Thanks in advance for any help

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Struggling getting results using LHR15 MK3

Just to add, I use mainly Rupes yellow pads, Zvizzer Orange, Lake County MF's.
    Compound and polish, Zvizzer Heavy Cut, Menz full range, Scholl S20 Black amongst others.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wirral Detailing View Post
    Hi Everyone

Long time lurker, first time poster here!

I have my own small detailing business part time in the UK and as with most people constantly working on my craft! Being 40 I've been cleaning/valeting/detailing for over 20 years. Over corrected quite a few cars and constantly experimenting with new compounds and pads etc.

I went ahead and bought new a Rupes LHR15 MK3, LHR75e and originally an ibrid nano but since changed to a Flex PXE80.

What I'm finding though is that I'm constantly reaching for my 75e as I get better and more consistent results, this is obviously making me swap pads a lot more and needlessly wear them out instead of using LHR15 for bigger panels.

I've tried everything, from changing speeds, more and less passes, more compound, less compound. I just feel I get around 70% of the results than I would using the 75e

What I do find is that I try and make sure I use 3-4 pea sized drops but that the pad goes dry quickly even though I'm only doing a small area, then I saturate the pad a bit instead but it loses its effectiveness then.

Sounds a bit basic but I must be missing something! Happy to post examples of my work but I'm on Instagram as Wirral Detailing if you wish to take a look.

Thanks in advance for any help
    Welcome! What a first time post. I am going to keep this as simple as possible. Here it goes...

I have a RUPES LHR15 MK III, 75E Mini, and a iBrid Nano Long Neck. I have all the major RUPES pads including the Blue / Yellow Wool Pads and Yellow / White Foam Pads.

With that said, my best advice for you is to invest into their new DA Polishes to corresponding pads. It is so simple to use and yields amazing results.

When you actually use the system as intended—meaning prime the pads the way they show you in their actual videos, the LHR15 MK III will rotate and flow superbly! It will help soften up the pad and allow for you to maximize your results. I promise.

Before I decided to branch outside of the system, I was using the entire RUPES system exclusively. Got amazing results with it. Then I started using different compounds and polishes with the same exact process. Works great.

But at the end of the day, I find myself going back to the RUPES polishing system. Again, for the simple fact that it just works well. Plus, I love supporting a company who releases helpful videos and information about how to actually use there system. And also, you can always reach one of those guys on a good day.

The oils and abrasives are formulated to match the exact specs of the machines they engineered and designed. In my personally opinion and experience, the system is top notch. No matter which machine and pad size you choose to use.

I hope this was insightful.

4. Likes Wirral Detailing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you have your backing plate marked to make sure you’re maintaining pad rotation? With a long throw it’s easier to get the pad to stall and if it’s not rotating, it’s not providing much cut at all.
    Bruno Soares

6. Likes Wirral Detailing liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Tran View Post
    Welcome! What a first time post. I am going to keep this as simple as possible. Here it goes...

I have a RUPES LHR15 MK III, 75E Mini, and a iBrid Nano Long Neck. I have all the major RUPES pads including the Blue / Yellow Wool Pads and Yellow / White Foam Pads.

With that said, my best advice for you is to invest into their new DA Polishes to corresponding pads. It is so simple to use and yields amazing results.

When you actually use the system as intended—meaning prime the pads the way they show you in their actual videos, the LHR15 MK III will rotate and flow superbly! It will help soften up the pad and allow for you to maximize your results. I promise.

Before I decided to branch outside of the system, I was using the entire RUPES system exclusively. Got amazing results with it. Then I started using different compounds and polishes with the same exact process. Works great.

But at the end of the day, I find myself going back to the RUPES polishing system. Again, for the simple fact that it just works well. Plus, I love supporting a company who releases helpful videos and information about how to actually use there system. And also, you can always reach one of those guys on a good day.

The oils and abrasives are formulated to match the exact specs of the machines they engineered and designed. In my personally opinion and experience, the system is top notch. No matter which machine and pad size you choose to use.

I hope this was insightful.
    That's extremely helpful, thank you.

I have tried all the Rupes pads and polishes etc only really impressed by the White and Yellow pads, Green and Blue were not so great.

Having settled on Zvizzer I've got a great system for single and multi stage work. I think my main problem is not priming the pads enough, I tend to make a spiral going from the inside to outside and spread it all over with my finger which usually does the trick. Maybe I could try a lubricant?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Soares View Post
    Do you have your backing plate marked to make sure you’re maintaining pad rotation? With a long throw it’s easier to get the pad to stall and if it’s not rotating, it’s not providing much cut at all.
    I do indeed my good man

9. Likes Bruno Soares liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I prefer a forced rotation Dual action machine. Flex is my choice but Rupes makes the Mille. I’ll only use a longer throw free spinning DA polisher for finishing work. I like to get done fast and not worry about pad stalling. That just me tho...

Secondly, I certainly don’t use “pea” size drops of any compound or polish. I put an ample amount (as MP would say)! Maybe as the pad gets broken in and damp with product, you can lessen up. I still never use pea size drops. I’m also changing pads very often so I never really get a pad to the point of saturated with product.
    Jim

11. Likes Wirral Detailing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You are going to wear those 3 inch pads quick on larger panels. Keep practicing with the LHR15. It should not take long to get the hang of using it and getting good results.

Rupes has a specific pad priming process that you can find on their youtube page. Also I recall Rupes frowning upon menzerna polishes with their pads due to the solvents in the polishes. Its been sometime so I can't recall if it was an issue with all their pads or specific pads.

Also what speed are you running the tool? You should not need to run higher than 4 to 4.5.

13. Likes Wirral Detailing liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    I prefer a forced rotation Dual action machine. Flex is my choice but Rupes makes the Mille. I’ll only use a longer throw free spinning DA polisher for finishing work. I like to get done fast and not worry about pad stalling. That just me tho...

Secondly, I certainly don’t use “pea” size drops of any compound or polish. I put an ample amount (as MP would say)! Maybe as the pad gets broken in and damp with product, you can lessen up. I still never use pea size drops. I’m also changing pads very often so I never really get a pad to the point of saturated with product.

I was very tempted to go Forced rotation when I was buying them, having only previously owned normal machines. Alas though my worries kicked in and I played it safe.

Over the years i've heard a hundred different opinions on how much product to use, pad priming and saturation. I tend to hit as sweet spot with all my machines when they are 'slightly' saturated with just adding a tiny amount of product before I change

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    You are going to wear those 3 inch pads quick on larger panels. Keep practicing with the LHR15. It should not take long to get the hang of using it and getting good results.

Rupes has a specific pad priming process that you can find on their youtube page. Also I recall Rupes frowning upon menzerna polishes with their pads due to the solvents in the polishes. Its been sometime so I can't recall if it was an issue with all their pads or specific pads.

Also what speed are you running the tool? You should not need to run higher than 4 to 4.5.
    I know I know I already need to buy a new lot of 3-inch pads as I've had a couple which have delaminated or just started to deform in general!

Regarding speeed, i've always tended to run around a 3 which is probably not fast enough, I remember dialing the speed back from 4-5 once as my pad was getting dry and I was starting to get 'Spotting' of dry product and the pad stops rotating. I am a big fan of Scholl polishes, nice and oily which I feel helps the process.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast