autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Foam pad life expectancy

What is the average life expectancy of foam buffing pads. I have many LC and Hex Logic pads. I wash w APC, spin dry (w buffer) and let dry upside down always after each use. They don't seem to be losing effectiveness but I've had some of these pads for years... like 6-7.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Foam pad life expectancy

It really depends on how they are used.

If you overuse them once they start to get saturated you could destroy a pad in a single use. OTOH, if you use some common sense and change your pad before they get to the saturation point they will last a long, long time.

Properly used, cleaned, and stored, they will last almost indefinitely. Not forever, but a long time.

If the foam isn't deteriorated, the velcro is still intact, and the pad feels generally ok - Polish on!

3. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Store the pads in room temperature. I stored mine in a hot garage and they got totally trashed. That was an expensive lesson. I haven't fully replaced them all yet
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

I have several that are 5 years old, one of the benefits of using multiple pads per session is that you don’t overheat/ abuse them which is the #1 enemy to pad life

6. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

7 years is a lot to ask out of a pad. If it were me, before you start your next detail order some new pads in the color you are planning to use.

Check to see if the velcro is firmly attached to the foam pad. This is where I see most failures.

At 5+ years, I start to see the foam deteriorate where the velcro is attached.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    It really depends on how they are used.

If you overuse them once they start to get saturated you could destroy a pad in a single use. OTOH, if you use some common sense and change your pad before they get to the saturation point they will last a long, long time.

Properly used, cleaned, and stored, they will last almost indefinitely. Not forever, but a long time.

If the foam isn't deteriorated, the velcro is still intact, and the pad feels generally ok - Polish on!
    ^^^This^^^

I have used 20 pads on my full-sized truck. Is that overkill? Yeah, it probably is. Could I have used 10 and produced the same result? Sure.

But..... Each of those 20 pads were barely dirty, hardly got warm, and were a breeze to clean. Therefore, they will last a very, very long time.

Am I saying everyone should use 20 pads? Of course not. But using a few more pads than you think you may need is way better than overworking too few pads.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

9. Thanks Avgguy thanked for this post
    Likes dgage, Avgguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    ^^^This^^^

I have used 20 pads on my full-sized truck. Is that overkill? Yeah, it probably is. Could I have used 10 and produced the same result? Sure.

But..... Each of those 20 pads were barely dirty, hardly got warm, and were a breeze to clean. Therefore, they will last a very, very long time.

Am I saying everyone should use 20 pads? Of course not. But using a few more pads than you think you may need is way better than overworking too few pads.
    Your anal!

11. Thanks Avgguy thanked for this post
    Likes dgage, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Very early on i stored my foam pads in the garage...in FL! Not good. Some turned to dust from the excessive heat. Now all my pads are kept in the air conditioned space inside.

Post Thanks / Like

That is exactly what happened to me. I now store pads and polishes in the houss
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

I've only been at this 2+ years but the way i use them they will last a very longtime. My rule of thumb: Use One 5 inch pad on 2 car doors max - i have a 3 inch for edge work or a medium sized bonnet.

Washing: I simply have a short piece of cutoff garden hose attached to my tap so when i pinch/fold the end of the hose it creates a moderate level of pressure. I usually spray APC directly in the pad, use the hose to rinse the APC with hot water for a few seconds then i will switch to warm water and hand wash. Air dry.

Very simple process, it works so i never tried doing anything else.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast