autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Prepping for Ceramic Coating after NXT 2.0 Application

A few weeks ago, my 75 year old neighbor asked me if I could help him install running boards on his new, slightly used, GMC. After installing them for him, I decided to do a new car prep for him so I washed, clayed, paint corrected and applied some NXT 2.0 for him. He then asked me about ceramic coating and said he had ordered some, but he didn't have it yet, thus the reason I protected the paint with the NXT. Now that he has the ceramic coating, how can I safely remove the NXT? I don't want to introduce any swirls by using a clay bar or harsh chemicals. Meguiar's recommends using their M122. Is that safe for decals also? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Prepping for Ceramic Coating after NXT 2.0 Application

The only way to be completely sure the sealant is totally gone (especially a recent application) and the surface is ready coating is to mechanically polish it off with a light finishing polish and a DA polisher. You've already clayed the car so that should be fine.

Since you're going to be coating it and the vehicle is new to the owner, you might as well get the truck looking the best it can with a good polishing.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

The truck already looks it's best as I did a paint correction prior to installing the NXT.

Would Meguiar's M205 or Mother's PowerPolish Stage 1 work ok for the polish step? I have both of those.

Post Thanks / Like

I missed your mention of correcting the paint. I see that now.

The Meguiars 205 should work, but I'm not familiar at all with the Mother's products. As long as you use a light polishing product that isn't an AIO or leaves any fillers/waxes/sealants behind you should be fine. Just be sure to use a good coating prep spray like CarPro Eraser or Gyeon Prep (there are many others too these days) to remove all the oils from the polishes before applying the coating.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I know it’s somewhat heresy here, but I’ve had no problem putting a coating on after cleaning the surface with a 50-50 mix of isopropyl alcohol and water. I think the purists here would rather have you use a dedicated prep product like Carpro eraser. I have also used that and it works very well.
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I just didn't want to have to re polish the entire vehicle to remove the NXT. That's a lot of work. I was hoping I could wash the vehicle with a special wash to remove most of it, then use something like M122 to remove any remaining. I don't want to use Dawn or heavy degreasers as I don't want to damage decals. I'm looking for the easiest way to do this.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't use Dawn. It could leave behind residue from the surfactants in the product. It's great for your hands while washing dishes - not good for washing cars.

It's hard to say exactly what you'd need to do. NXT is weak protection. After a month it's benefit is mostly gone (IME). But that doesn't mean all the product is removed from the paint and won't interfere with a coating application. A basic wipe down might remove it or it might not.

You could try washing with a high alkaline soap (not necessarily a heavy degreaser) and then a wipe down with M122. I don't think anyone can say for sure if that will get you the maximum durability out of your coating.

Everyone says do a light polish and then a wipe down because that for sure will remove all traces of NXT.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive never used the expensive prep spray stuff. Just used the cheap wax and grease remover most all autoparts stores sell. Never had a issue with any coatings

Post Thanks / Like

A simple degreaser is all i need? Will Simple Green work? I have a gallon of that on hand. I can dilute it, and wash the truck with the diluted solution, if that works.

Post Thanks / Like

I would use Klean-strip Prep-all. Local Auto parts stores carry it.

11. Thanks opie thanked for this post
    Likes Bruno Soares, Thomkirby, robwoodgto liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast