autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What compound do you use on Hard audi paint?

Hi all,

Over the years i have successfully paint corrected a number of cars. Mostly older vehicles with softer paint. My 04 regal, my 99 tahoe, some friends JDM vehicles etc. But every time i attempt to paint correct one of my newer german cars, its like im not doing anything at all. I had this issue with My 17 GTI that came swirled off the lot. My (not German) 12 Volvo s60 and now my 14 audi S4. About two weeks ago, I tried out the products i have on the trunk lid. I used my Griots G8 polisher with a cyan cutting pad, (also tried my chicago electric with an orange pad) I tried meguiars 105 , Turtlewax rubbing compound, and meguiars 205. Between the area i tapped off and the area i didn't touch, there wasn't a noticeable reduction in swirls. I applied a good ammount of pressure to the pad, ran at full speed on both polishers etc.

Does anyone have any product recommendations for harder paints specifically audi paint? I am looking at the Mezerna ultra heavy cutting compounds along with a microfiber pad as my compound stage.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What compound do you use on Hard audi paint?

I've used Blackfire's compound on my black metallic Mk6 GTI while I owned it, and DP's compound on a neighbor's black metallic Porsche Cayenne. Both probably have the same paint as your S4, it was very hard.

Of the two, the Blackfire is far easier to work with and finishes out better, but both will do the trick. On heavy swirling/marring I used the compound with orange Lake Country Flat or Thin Pro pads. This left a compounding haze, so I'd have to follow up with a white pad and a finishing polish. For light touch up work I'd often use the compound with the white pad and it would finish up nicely.

Another option might be Griots BOSS Fast Correcting Cream or their Correcting Cream. I haven't had a chance to use either yet, but I did recently try out their Perfecting Cream and really liked it.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a preowned 2011 Audi S4 many years ago that needed to be corrected. I used Menzerna FC400 and an LC purple foamed wool pad to remove swirls. Polishing with any lighter combo didn't even put a dent into the defects. That paint was pretty hard.

I think I followed that up with Menzerna SF3500 and a foam polishing pad.

That was many years ago though. Today I'd probably reach for Griot's Fast Correcting Cream first. Perhaps 3D ACA 500 if that wasn't cutting it. Sonax Cut-Max (or equivalent from another German brand not sold here) would be another likely choice.

I would probably try these Buff and Shine Uro-Wool pads if I were doing the job today. Just get the size that matches the polisher backing plate you are using.

4. Thanks Epilogts thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Menzerna FG400 didn't do enough for me on my 2010 Audi S4 with phantom black paint. Hard as a rock!! It took Sonax Max Cut (which may I add worked like a dream!) to get in there deep. Used Megs MF pads too.

Post Thanks / Like

My 2019 VW GLI has "Pure Grey" paint that is hard as diamonds and the first time I tried to correct it, I used Griot's Correcting Cream on B&S microfiber cutting pads just to get down past the basic swirls. It worked well enough, but I think Griot's Fast Correcting Cream would have made the job much easier. Also, the old B&S microfibers didn't hold up too well. I'd recommend Griot's BOSS microfiber pads or a B&S Urofiber, much much more durable. That combo should have enough bite to get it done, just be sure to follow it up with a finishing polish. I used CarPro Essence on BOSS yellow pads to finish and came out beautiful.

Post Thanks / Like

On my Moonlight Blue S4 - I used Carpro FastCut then followed up with Essence - all with Uro-Fiber pads:

8. Likes dwaleke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grovlet View Post
    On my Moonlight Blue S4 - I used Carpro FastCut then followed up with Essence - all with Uro-Fiber pads:
    Nice sharp reflection with no swirls in sight.

10. Thanks grovlet thanked for this post
    Likes dwaleke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

CarPro clear cut or ultra cut
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    CarPro clear cut or ultra cut
    This... CarPro UltraCut

Post Thanks / Like

So between Boss Fast cut, Blackfire, and the carpro ultra cut. which will be easiest to work with? The plan is to take an orange cutting pad and some meguiars 205 and polish with that (if that doesnt work id do the 105)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast