autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thread: How to correct?

Post Thanks / Like

How to correct?

Had this ‘stain’ (?) that obviously from windshield washer fluid since I got my car. Tried claying it soon after but with no joy. Suggestions?
    How to correct?-6cbdbd02-55a3-4ffa-929f-92da3f8ebe4a-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to correct?

Looks like it could possibly be an etching? Maybe from the alcohol content of the washer fluid. Could also be from a runny bird dropping.

Can you see if it's etched into the clear?

If so, it's probably too risky to try to remove it completely but the process I'd use would be a compound by hand or a 1-inch rotary as far as I dared. The reason I say by hand (or small rotary) is to keep the compounding isolated to just that area better than you could with a larger polisher.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    Looks like it could possibly be an etching? Maybe from the alcohol content of the washer fluid. Could also be from a runny bird dropping.

Can you see if it's etched into the clear?

If so, it's probably too risky to try to remove it completely but the process I'd use would be a compound by hand or a 1-inch rotary as far as I dared. The reason I say by hand (or small rotary) is to keep the compounding isolated to just that area better than you could with a larger polisher.
    I have set of (sonax I believe) hand polishing pads. Sounds like a good excuse to get a iBrid Nano.

I’ll check to see if I can feel any etching. IIRC, when I’ve run my fingers over it before I haven’t felt any. There is some paste wax over it now that I’ll strip off.

Post Thanks / Like

Bad news: definitely etched. Good news: reduced the appearance of it.

How to correct?-64ada2bf-0f67-48e2-9d1e-2b6593346fcf-jpgHow to correct?-441f39a3-036e-4424-9c22-81e99e61ba51-jpg

I hit it with Wolf’s medium cut on a ccs correcting orange hand pad then the medium cut on a Griots Orange correcting pad on my new G9 and then Mezerna SF4000 on Griot’s black pad.

Guessing adding a little touch up clear wouldn’t do anything good to it.

Post Thanks / Like

I can absolutely guarantee that if you try to add clear you will wish you didn't. You're probably at the limits of what can be done with the polishing you've done.

6. Likes glen e liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea it looks like something in your windshield washer fluid that etched/stained in some intense sunlight. A less likely scenario could be something that dripped onto your car (example from a parking garage ceiling) and that is where it landed, but I have seen it happen. I generally like to start less aggressive and work my way up if needed to save my clear as much as possible. If it were me I would try the following in order:
    1. Cleaner wax: While not a guarantee to remove your mark, I have had success using Zymol cleaner wax to remove some funky stains/marks that other light polishes would not do anything too. If you are willing to try it/already own a cleaner wax then I would start here and give it a couple passes by hand to see how your are progressing.
    2. Compound by hand: If the cleaner wax is doing nothing I jump to compounding. If you have different levels of aggression in your hand pads start lighter and work your way up in aggression as needed.
    3. Compound by DA: Using a DA polisher with the smallest diameter pad you own. The Rupes iBird nano could be a good choice here if you wanted to invest as it is as small is you are going to get while maintaining some corrective power.

If your car is clean you could try an APC and agitate with a buffing towel to see if that does anything, but I really don't think an APC or watersport remover would do much of anything here.

Good luck and let us know how everything works out.

Post Thanks / Like

Pop out the washer nozzle from the hood so you can work on the spot without have to work around it.

9. Thanks Texchappy thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
    Pop out the washer nozzle from the hood so you can work on the spot without have to work around it.
    I may do that when I do a full correction later.