autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question G8 as my next tool?

Happy Monday!

I'm looking at a way to better polish small areas on vehicles and wondering about the effectiveness of various tools and wondering if the G8 will meet my needs.

I know it will make doing things like the curved areas on A/B/C/D pillars, side mirrors, various small surface design areas, and headlights much easier. However, I'm questioning the ability for the polisher to get into tight areas like the flat surfaces around air intakes below the front bumper. A typical DA polisher doesn't get into those area very well not only because of the size of pad/throw, but also due to the size of the polisher itself. How does the G8 fair in those situations?

Now I have a G15, my HF DA polisher is in semi-retirement and available to use with a 3" backing plate, but I'm not sure it's sized properly for work in small areas like the G8 will be.

I know many will say the Rupes Ibrid is the answer, but for as little use as it will get for me as a hobbyist, I can't justify the cost.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Re: G8 as my next tool?

The G8 does get into a lot tighter spaces than something like the G15 but it won't fit everywhere. If you want to cover all spots by machine you'll still need something like the Rupes ibrid nano. Even the Flex pixie which can do 1" pads has a large body and will not fit very tight spots like the Rupes would. I don't do enough work to justify such an expensive polisher for small areas so I resort to hand/finger polishing those spots.
    Bruno Soares

3. Thanks Desertnate thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. Overall I think it will be a big help with areas I struggle to reach/get/properly polish with any normal polisher and a 5" pad, but it sounds like I'll still have to resort to a few tricky areas by hand.

Post Thanks / Like

The G8 was my first tool. As you know I'm a noob. You've probably given me some advice as I recognize your handle.

I loved it so much and it was so easy to use, I immediately bought the G9 so I could for my cars.

I'm really happy with it. It's really stout, very easy to change the backing plate, and it's great for smaller areas and both convex and concave curves.

I've practice a bit with it on my truck, but used it for the first time on my rear fender. Pretty curvy with tight spots.

I taped up the screws and the little runners, and the two inch plate did a great job in those tight spots.

G8 as my next tool?-img_1776-jpg

6. Thanks Desertnate thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Another great use for the G8 is spot correcting. Let's say you got one water spot or scratch that requires more aggressiveness than the paint around it. It's easier to focus on a smaller area (and remove less paint of the bigger area) and get just the problem spot taken care of. I often tackle those spots with a microfiber cutting pad on the G8 and a compound, then go over the entire panel with foam pad and a polish to finish the job.
    Bruno Soares

8. Thanks Desertnate thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

There's always this,

Review: Griot's Garage G8 Headlight Sander

The Griot's Garage G8 Headlight Sander

10. Thanks Desertnate thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    There's always this,

Review: Griot's Garage G8 Headlight Sander

The Griot's Garage G8 Headlight Sander

Thanks, Mike. Headlights will be a no-brainer if I get the G8. I've never been all that thrilled when using a 3" backing plate on my electric drill. Sadly I don't have enough cars needing lights done right now to justify the cost alone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaffeineBuzz View Post
    The G8 was my first tool. As you know I'm a noob. You've probably given me some advice as I recognize your handle.

I loved it so much and it was so easy to use, I immediately bought the G9 so I could for my cars.

I'm really happy with it. It's really stout, very easy to change the backing plate, and it's great for smaller areas and both convex and concave curves.

I've practice a bit with it on my truck, but used it for the first time on my rear fender. Pretty curvy with tight spots.

I taped up the screws and the little runners, and the two inch plate did a great job in those tight spots.

G8 as my next tool?-img_1776-jpg
    Thanks. My car alone has enough strange curvy areas I can see it being helpful. Glad to hear you found it to have plenty of power.

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    Another great use for the G8 is spot correcting. Let's say you got one water spot or scratch that requires more aggressiveness than the paint around it. It's easier to focus on a smaller area (and remove less paint of the bigger area) and get just the problem spot taken care of. I often tackle those spots with a microfiber cutting pad on the G8 and a compound, then go over the entire panel with foam pad and a polish to finish the job.
    Great advice! Thanks. I hadn't thought of that, but now that you mention it I can see a random coating high spot would be a similar scenario...not that I'm not dealing with those right now...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Happy Monday!

I'm looking at a way to better polish small areas on vehicles and wondering about the effectiveness of various tools and wondering if the G8 will meet my needs.

I know it will make doing things like the curved areas on A/B/C/D pillars, side mirrors, various small surface design areas, and headlights much easier. However, I'm questioning the ability for the polisher to get into tight areas like the flat surfaces around air intakes below the front bumper. A typical DA polisher doesn't get into those area very well not only because of the size of pad/throw, but also due to the size of the polisher itself. How does the G8 fair in those situations?

Now I have a G15, my HF DA polisher is in semi-retirement and available to use with a 3" backing plate, but I'm not sure it's sized properly for work in small areas like the G8 will be.

I know many will say the Rupes Ibrid is the answer, but for as little use as it will get for me as a hobbyist, I can't justify the cost.
    Griot is coming out with a 1" forgot the number.

Post Thanks / Like

Nate, you can also get an extension with a 2” BP (as seen here on my GG3).

Thanks, AA!
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast