autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: G8 as my next tool?

I believe that is their new rotary that uses the same body as the g8. It comes with 1" and 3" backing plates. 750 watts so it should be plenty strong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Griot is coming out with a 1" forgot the number.
    Any place I can find more info? Understand you probably can't put a link here due to forum rules, but a quick Google search didn't find anything.

This becomes a real rabbit hole. Other than areas under exterior mirrors and the tight corners on the vents in the front facia, I'd probably find much more use for a 3" polisher. I can't imagine doing the area along the A pillar which transitions along the entire body line of a car with a 1" polisher.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post

Nate, you can also get an extension with a 2” BP (as seen here on my GG3).

Thanks, AA!
    Thanks Paul. My bigger question about the smaller polishers is more about the size of the polisher itself and less about the pad size. Pad size is important and the smaller polisher will really help in many ways.

When you use the 2" pad, or even the 3" for that matter, do you find the body of the polisher itself still keeps you out of some areas, or is it small enough to allow you to get into most of the needed areas?
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post

Thanks Paul. My bigger question about the smaller polishers is more about the size of the polisher itself and less about the pad size. Pad size is important and the smaller polisher will really help in many ways.

When you use the 2" pad, or even the 3" for that matter, do you find the body of the polisher itself still keeps you out of some areas, or is it small enough to allow you to get into most of the needed areas?
    To be quite honest, I just got this set-up about 2 weeks ago from a good friend and I have not used it yet. But...... it will be used exclusively on the Wife's Wrangler where I am anticipating it to reach into about 95% of the areas that were a PITA with the 3" set-up and no extension.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Thanks. My car alone has enough strange curvy areas I can see it being helpful. Glad to hear you found it to have plenty of power.
    thought I'd give you an idea how it turned out as well

I did a three step correction

Wolfgang Uber > Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover > Wolfgang Finishing Glaze > Prep > CanCoat

I used a a hard white Boss foam cutting pad with the Uber, an orange Boss pad with the Swirl Remover, then a black Boss pad with the glaze

Here is a pic where it's pretty dirty. You can see the outline from the rear taillight assembly, there were lines chaffed into the surface where the gasket lay against the rear fender.

G8 as my next tool?-img_1769-jpg

Here is another, you can see a long white line. Again, this was chaffing from the filler panels between my hard bags and the fender. I took the panels out to get more access to the fender, but have already reinstalled them. I had no intentions of correcting this chaffing line.

Here are some after pics:

G8 as my next tool?-img_1924-jpg

Here you can see, even though I didn't need to, I nearly completely corrected the chaffing from the tail light assembly.

G8 as my next tool?-img_1899-jpg

Here is where I appreciated having the smaller but stout power of the G8. Getting between these screws and the top side was easy to do with a 2" attachment.

G8 as my next tool?-img_1902-jpg

5. Thanks Desertnate thanked for this post
    Likes Desertnate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. That looks great!
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12