autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

For those washing their cars weekly or fortnightly (LOL!), how do you clean and re-dress tires?

I usually wash my car every week or two. I've been using Meg's Endurance gel which has good durability, but I don't know how approach cleaning my tires and reapply the dressing. I've been hitting the tires with Super Clean as part of the wash, or skipping the Super Clean and just aggitating them with the soap if they're not too grimy, then just applying the gel.

I always thought the tire needed to be as clean as possible each time before applying a dressing. Maybe, maybe not? I just feel like constantly degreasing is a little much. But what do I know!

In other news, I picked up some Hyper Dressing. I'll need to make sure the tires arr petty clean now for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: For those washing their cars weekly or fortnightly (LOL!), how do you clean and re-dress tires?

I got tired of water-based tire dressings not lasting. So I started using tire coatings (Tuf Shine) and am much happier as it lasts much longer, about 3 months before it starts degrading but still the tire looks dressed for even longer. But you’ll definitely need the tires incredibly clean before applying a coating, not so much needed for a dressing.

3. Likes bob m, rudedog830 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: For those washing their cars weekly or fortnightly (LOL!), how do you clean and re-dress tires?

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    I got tired of water-based tire dressings not lasting. So I started using tire coatings (Tuf Shine) and am much happier as it lasts much longer, about 3 months before it starts degrading but still the tire looks dressed for even longer. But you’ll definitely need the tires incredibly clean before applying a coating, not so much needed for a dressing.
    Same here with the water based coatings - getting a few weeks at most - and that's with light driving in good weather. I just cleaned and coated my Crosstrek's tires and rims Friday. And will be doing the same soon enough on my CX-5.
    Last edited by bob m; 04-25-2021 at 09:11 PM. Reason: grammar

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vaca22 View Post
    I usually wash my car every week or two. I've been using Meg's Endurance gel which has good durability, but I don't know how approach cleaning my tires and reapply the dressing. I've been hitting the tires with Super Clean as part of the wash, or skipping the Super Clean and just aggitating them with the soap if they're not too grimy, then just applying the gel.

I always thought the tire needed to be as clean as possible each time before applying a dressing. Maybe, maybe not? I just feel like constantly degreasing is a little much. But what do I know!

In other news, I picked up some Hyper Dressing. I'll need to make sure the tires arr petty clean now for sure.
    The word about making sure the tire is clean before applying any tire dressing mainly applies for that 1st time or when dealing with tires that haven’t gotten the proper treatment.

Once you get a good routine going you can afford to do what you describe as far as being able to get good results with simply washing the tires with car soap & water. Me personally when I’m doing any vehicle that I apply tire dressing [Hyper Dressing @1:1] I always properly clean the tires [Megs Wheel & Tire Cleaner]

Is degreasing the tires completely necessary? Not completely, no. But IMO trying to clean tires with soap and a mitt sounds like it would be a mess and I wouldn’t want to keep a mitt that nasty around any of my buckets. Another thing you could do is at the bare minimum spray the tires with your choice of cleaner and rinse them clean.

Another reason I don’t mind cleaning the tires everytime is because I’m already using the same cleaner to clean the wheels... On my own car the tires are coated, so they technically never have to be cleaned, but the rest of the cars including the others here at home get Hyper Dressing.