autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

First time out ever: impressions and questions

I made the plunge with my first big purchase and started on my first car today. I wanted to share a few first impressions and also ask for some feedback to guide me as I keep going. Feel free to skip to step 4 if you just want to see what my questions are.

Project: 2007 Volvo V70R, black sapphire metallic paint. Not had a paint correction in at least 8 years, probably ever (I've only owned it 8 years).

Step 1: BLACKFIRE Iron Remover on a dry car. Boy, you sure use a lot of it for one car. I will be buying more soon. It seemed to work, although as Mike says, without a white car it can be hard to tell. I did see purple ooze on the ground so I think it worked.

Step 2: Rinse off Iron Remover and full two bucket wash. Used Palmolive to strip off wax from last time I waxed it.

Step 3: Griots Brilliant Finish Synthetic Clay with car soap/water as lubricant. It seemed to work well. I've done a clay bar in the past and this was easier. Admittedly, I did not follow with an actual clay bar to see if it would pick up more. The plastic bag test seemed to reveal smooth paint. Rinsed and dried the car with a blower.

Step 4 (in the middle of now): Griots G9 DA with 5" plate, Griots Correcting Cream Compound, LC Orange pad. This is where I could use some help. I have done the drivers side and hood. I used three pads so far so I am changing them out. I did 4-6 passes per 2'x2' section, up and down and back forth, very slowly. Cleaned off with microfiber towel and a little quick detailer. The car looks shiny, no doubt, and better than before I started.

What I am wondering is should I expect more in terms of scratch and defect removal? Below are some photos. None of the defects in the pictures catch with a fingernail; they are all smooth. Should I be able to remove these types of defects and scratches? Do I need to increase aggressiveness to something like Griots Fast Correcting Cream and/or a Yellow Pad? Am I not using the G9 correctly? It didn't seem to need much pressure.

I read or heard somewhere that even professional detailers say they can't make the paint perfect, just as best they can. Since this is my first time, I don't know if I have reached the limit or if there is more I should try.

Thank you.

First time out ever: impressions and questions-r2-jpgFirst time out ever: impressions and questions-r1-jpgFirst time out ever: impressions and questions-r5-jpgFirst time out ever: impressions and questions-r4-jpgFirst time out ever: impressions and questions-r3-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First time out ever: impressions and questions

First, the Palmolive did nothing to remove your old wax. The claying did.

Second, I'm not sure about how hard Volvo paint is, but I would definitely try FCC next.

Your technique sounds fine, so I would give the FCC a shot with the orange pad. See if it works better. If not, then step up to the yellow pads.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

3. Likes dwaleke, Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Paul.

Correcting Cream never really corrected defects for me unless the paint was soft and even then I pair it with Griot's microfiber pad.

I would go with FCC and step up to a more aggressive pad.

Post Thanks / Like

What speed are you using? Good pad rotation?

Be careful chasing the deep stuff - those are R.I.D.S. (Random isolated deep scratches). To reduce how much they show up, you’re removing the clear coat next to them, thinning it in that area. (Thus making the scratch shallower) Sometimes you just have to let some scratches live on for the long term health of the clear.

Drives you crazy, but I’ve had to do the same on my daily.

6. Likes PaulMys, Prange liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you both. Sounds like I should start with orange, then go to yellow and then MF? I don't own yellow or MF yet, so I am not sure if I should buy both or go with one over the other.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    What speed are you using? Good pad rotation?

Be careful chasing the deep stuff - those are R.I.D.S. (Random isolated deep scratches). To reduce how much they show up, you’re removing the clear coat next to them, thinning it in that area. (Thus making the scratch shallower) Sometimes you just have to let some scratches live on for the long term health of the clear.

Drives you crazy, but I’ve had to do the same on my daily.
    Speed 5 on the GG9. I can live with them (heck, lived with worse for the last 8 years). Just want to make sure there isn't something in my newbie knowledge gap I should be considering.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by olfac87 View Post
    Sounds like I should start with orange, then go to yellow and then MF? I don't own yellow or MF yet, so I am not sure if I should buy both or go with one over the other.
    Yes. Use the FCC with the orange pad, then step up to the yellow if need be.

If that doesn't work, then just as oneheadlight said, you might want to stop there and not even try a MF pad. Just live with them.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by olfac87 View Post
    Thank you both. Sounds like I should start with orange, then go to yellow and then MF? I don't own yellow or MF yet, so I am not sure if I should buy both or go with one over the other.
    I would probably skip yellow and just pick up their microfiber pad that has the foam interface. It's not as aggressive as say the lake country microfiber cutting pad.

I agree with the others. Don't chase those rids much. Just a little bit to clean them up if they aren't coming out without a lot of effort.

Post Thanks / Like

If this is a daily driver then the decision should be ... live with it or go after it a little further. I dont like to go after rids with a pad due to excess of material being remove on the surrounding area. The other issue is heat. To remove something like this may require some serious "grinding" with the machine which for sure will generate heat. A MF pad cut faster and better than foam but the heat and excess material removal is much intensified. When I am using a fiber pad, It is common to see me to checking the panel for excessive heat with my hand during the procedure.

Wet sanding is a better option since it would be much more surgical and focused without the issue of heat but I am not recommending this to anyone who is not familiar with the process. One thing you can try is to shrink your work area and add a bit more pressure. Aggressiveness level can be alter by changing pads, the liquid, pressure, arm speed and finally work area. Changing one of these variables or a combination of them will get you different results. Or..... just live with the rids.

I hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psnt1ol View Post
    I hope this helps.
    Absolutely helps. It is my daily driver. In addition to the pictures I sent, I am looking at the paint and still seeing a lot of "pattern" for lack of a better word. I feel like it is worth trying the FCC just to see if I can bring the overall paint job one step closer, and if some of the rids come out then fantastic. If not, living with them is no problem. This is the practice car before I move on to two nicer cars with much newer and cleaner paint jobs.

13. Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast