autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Rookie DA compound/polish questions

Hello,

Before finding this forum, I watched a few youtube videos and ordered a clay bar kit, some Meguiar's Ultimate compound, M205 polish, and hand applicator pads. (Already had Turtle Wax hybrid coating).

My first attempt at hand paint correction (2012 Camry daily driver, if it matters) yielded a definite improvement, but at the end of the day I was disappointed with the result. Still what appears to be some water spots, swirls, scratching, etc...

Rookie DA compound/polish questions-img_20210419_121425403_hdr_2-jpg
    I suspect that the previous owner routinely waxed everything but the roof... as it is in the worst shape by far.

Then I came across Autogeek, and after some reading here, I understand that to get good results, I'll likely need a DA polisher and some decent pads.

- Do I understand correctly that I should start a section with just polish, and only move to compound if necessary?
    - If I do polish first and am not satisfied - how to determine if I just need additional time/effort with the polish, or if it's time to step up to compound?
    - Is this on a panel-by-panel basis, or all or nothing? In other words, if I start with a section on the roof, and determine that that section does need the use of compound, should I then assume the whole car will need it?

Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rookie DA compound/polish questions

The answer to your first question is yes... Usually! I say "usually" because once you have more experience you may look at something and know in your mind that compounding may be a more appropriate starting point. But even in those cases it does no harm to start with a polish, that's why I answered "yes".

The answers to the second and third questions are not as straight forward... too many variables. But it sounds like you have a pretty good understanding just by the way you asked the questions and the options you presented. Those options can play out different ways at different times on different vehicles.

3. Thanks txwheels thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Start with a test spot. Refine your process with the test spot before you get too far and potentially are not happy with the results. This has the ability to save you a lot of time.

Post Thanks / Like

Something you don’t read about here often, but it made a huge change in the way I use a polisher. SLOW THE HELL DOWN… You’re not painting a house, if you are doing a 2 x 2 section, make sure you’re taking about 3-4 seconds to move from one side to the other, you have to give the polish and pad time to work…
    Glen -

6. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AGO!

I would suggest that in addition to heeding the advice of the members here on the forum, watch Mike Phillips videos.

Mike covers everything from A to Z on the hows and whys of the paint correction processes.

Once you get started and gain a little experience, it becomes not only easier, but fun too.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Welcome to AGO!

I would suggest that in addition to heeding the advice of the members here on the forum, watch Mike Phillips videos.

Mike covers everything from A to Z on the hows and whys of the paint correction processes.

Once you get started and gain a little experience, it becomes not only easier, but fun too.
    You are bang on !!!!

To OP... Many of us that had some time behind a polisher developed their own style of buffing along the way but it really doesnt vary too far from the basics. Learn the basics then spend some time with your polisher and you will also develop a style that would suit you best. There are many here with years upon years of experience and everyone is happy to help.

My martial arts instructor used to tell the class... if you want to learn how to fight, you can do one of two ways. #1 Go and fight everyone you meet and if you can survive that then you will get good eventually. #2 Learn the basics and with practice as well as good instruction you will also get there but with a lot less pain.