autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Recommended Products

A car cover

2. Thanks dajonx thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    Water
    Time
    Garage

are the best things.

Seriously though.....coatings or anything that doesn't create static. Nothing special here for me as I tend to just deal with it for a few weeks.
    Probably the best answer here. Keeping the car covered or garaged is the only way to keep off the pollen, but it will collect the minute the car goes outside. This time of year I can watch the pollen start to build up on my black car while I'm drying it after a wash!

I've found coatings to be the best bet in controlling pollen. They don't seem to attract pollen as bad and what does get on there seems to come off much easier. I also don't use any toppers on my coatings so I wonder if that helps as well since the naked coatings might be less likely to have surface pollen clings to versus a topping product of some sort.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

4. Thanks dajonx thanked for this post
    Likes dwaleke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I used Turtle Wax Wet Wax last spring and it turned my Jeep into a pollen magnet.

Previously it was always coated along with a coating specific topper. Big difference IMO.

6. Thanks dajonx thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What is a "coating"? Wax or sealant? Or, those "coatings" that has to be professionally installed?

I was eyeing the Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax on top of the Four Starr UPP. See if that does anything. But yeah. It looks like pollen is something that can't be overcome.

I especially dislike rained on pollen. It kinda looks like spots or stripes of pollen on the car.

Post Thanks / Like

Understanding that these are ‘generally’ applied terms that some manufacturers abuse and that there are hybrids out there:

Wax - the oldest of the last stage protection (lsp) products. Contain natural substances, generally carnuba. Think your grandad’s turtle wax. Know for they ‘warmth’ but now their durability. The vinyl records of the LSP world.

Sealant - been around for a few decades now. Based on synthetic, mostly petroleum based, technology. Last a bit longer. Probably the most numerous product in lsp’s today. Example, optiseal. Can be cold but glossy.

Coating - been around over the last few years. Last 1-9 years (at least claimed on some). Usually contain SIO2 though Garphene is the Newest substance. Sold as tough and hydrophobic. Clear so underneath substance will need to be corrected as much as possible.

9. Thanks dajonx thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sadly marketing departments have completely blow up the definitions which make it really hard for people trying to find out what they want to use. The whole "Coating" term is getting really bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Texchappy View Post
    Coating - been around over the last few years. Last 1-9 years (at least claimed on some). Usually contain SIO2 though Garphene is the Newest substance. Sold as tough and hydrophobic. Clear so underneath substance will need to be corrected as much as possible.
    To this I would also add, coatings are not only the mythical substances applied by pro detailers. There are products only the pros have access to, but there are also many available for normal people to purchase. There area huge variety from probably 10+ brands you can buy here.

Application methods vary. Some of those which fall in to the approx 1 year durability range come in spray form and larger containers. Those which will last upwards of 18~24+ months come in the little glass bottles of 30 - 50mL in size and applied with an applicator provided in a kit in most cases.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

11. Thanks dajonx thanked for this post
    Likes Texchappy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Sadly marketing departments have completely blow up the definitions which make it really hard for people trying to find out what they want to use. The whole "Coating" term is getting really bad.

To this I would also add, coatings are not only the mythical substances applied by pro detailers. There are products only the pros have access to, but there are also many available for normal people to purchase. There area huge variety from probably 10+ brands you can buy here.

Application methods vary. Some of those which fall in to the approx 1 year durability range come in spray form and larger containers. Those which will last upwards of 18~24+ months come in the little glass bottles of 30 - 50mL in size and applied with an applicator provided in a kit in most cases.
    Thanks, forgot that part of the question. You can, indeed, apply a coating yourself. I’m about to start that journey myself.

13. Thanks dajonx thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ohh, ok. I think I understand. Thank you for the explanation.

So the coating is probably out of the question since I can't correct paint and stuff. The Four Star product is a sealant. Is that Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax the same thing? Should I not get it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dajonx View Post
    Ohh, ok. I think I understand. Thank you for the explanation.

So the coating is probably out of the question since I can't correct paint and stuff. The Four Star product is a sealant. Is that Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax the same thing? Should I not get it?
    It’s one of those hybrid products, to my understanding (haven’t used it or looked too far into it). It is a sealant (probably primarily) but with ceramic like a coating. When adding ceramic to a sealant, you (usually) just see a little added longevity and maybe a bit extra beading to the mix. You would be ok either way. I didn’t mean to downplay the Four Star in my reply earlier; I just haven’t used it. I think I’ve read good things about it over time. It would probably be a good place to start.

16. Thanks dajonx thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you.

Maybe I'll reapply the sealant I have on-hand and put the Hybrid Ceramic Wax on top of that. I wonder if I have to do the "foundation" part with the Hybrid or if I can just slap it on top of the sealant.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12