autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ugh - Correcting Paint after "Dealer Prep"

My dealer told me the 15k mile service for next time includes a "hand wash". I'll tell them that while I appreciate the gesture, do NOT touch that car.

A friend of mine has a neat 2015.5 Volvo Polestar wagon. Took it to the dealer for some work, and specifically told them NOT to wash the car.

They washed the car, and wrecked his coating.

Now the dealer has to pay $1000 for a correction and recoat. Oops!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vaca22 View Post
    My dealer told me the 15k mile service for next time includes a "hand wash". I'll tell them that while I appreciate the gesture, do NOT touch that car.

A friend of mine has a neat 2015.5 Volvo Polestar wagon. Took it to the dealer for some work, and specifically told them NOT to wash the car.

They washed the car, and wrecked his coating.

Now the dealer has to pay $1000 for a correction and recoat. Oops!

Happened to me at Audi a few ago, told them not to wash and yep, washed. Luckily, there weren't any obvious swirls - or maybe I just didn't want to bring out a light and check for them. Some people, besides telling the service person not to wash, make "signs" to leave on the dash...just in case they don't get the memo.
    I know 99% of people are not detailing fanatics, but to be ok with dealers using such terribly poor materials and techniques to swirl up finishes, jeeeezzz.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob m View Post
    Happened to me at Audi a few ago, told them not to wash and yep, washed. Luckily, there weren't any obvious swirls - or maybe I just didn't want to bring out a light and check for them. Some people, besides telling the service person not to wash, make "signs" to leave on the dash...just in case they don't get the memo.
    I know 99% of people are not detailing fanatics, but to be ok with dealers using such terribly poor materials and techniques to swirl up finishes, jeeeezzz.

Similar event happened to me with my BMW years ago. The dealership ended up giving me a $500 credit on future service since I refused to have their "Detail Dept" address the issue.

BTW...

AG gives away a sign that hangs on your rear view mirror for free with purchase...

Autogeek's Do Not Wash Car Hanging Sign

4. Thanks bob m thanked for this post
    Likes Todd404 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to get one of those signs to have as a back up to the one I had to pay for from another site.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

In my experience, dealers offer a spray sealant from lines like First Place Finish, Permaseal, etc. The vendors pitch it to the F&I guys with a video showing how water beads and sheets off after applying their product and then follows it up with spilling coffee and ice cream on it, throwing buckets of mud on it and even using a flamethrower, you know, normal everyday stuff a car goes through. To top it off they claim it will last until you stop paying on your loan.

Real world though, it's only a few months, like many spray sealants, just long enough for you to forget that fact you paid $500 for it across 6 years. It's easily removed with a high pH soap like Griot's Foaming Surface Prep.

So I would Iron-X, Foaming Surface Prep wash and then baggie test the paint to see if it genuinely needs clay bar. Save time and effort to apply elsewhere if at all possible. Polish and wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BurnsDetailing View Post
    The vendors pitch it to the F&I guys with a video showing how water beads and sheets off after applying their product and then follows it up with spilling coffee and ice cream on it, throwing buckets of mud on it and even using a flamethrower, you know, normal everyday stuff a car goes through.
    What you were told to expect....

What is in reality..

8. Likes BurnsDetailing liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Thanks everyone for the insights!

I think, since this will be my first detail work on this vehicle, I'm going to go with a few extra steps...foam/wash, ironx, tarx, wash again with a nanoskin (I do indeed have the medium nanoskin mitt), clay (if needed, presuming there will be some spots), then polish. That should leave me with a great base of clean paint to build upon. I think I'm gonna go ahead and try the turtle wax flex wax...can't hurt!

This place is awesome
    ~Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the sweet new Lariat, Mike!

The guys gave great advice above.

As an OTC and Meg's guy, give Meg's Hyper Wash a try. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    As an OTC and Meg's guy, give Meg's Hyper Wash a try. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
    I'm not a huge fan of Meguiars products, but there are a few gems IMO and Hyperwash is one of them. Just started using it myself and really like it.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

12. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob m View Post
    I'm not sure which is worse. The dealerships with their own tunnel washes or the ones where a couple porters simply "wash" the car with old rags and brushes from a bucket of dirty soap water that has been used on every car they see that day.

Our local Honda dealer pulls your car though their tunnel wash immediately after check in and before they take it back to the bays for work. When I emphatically and politely told the service writer to not wash the car, he reacted like I'd just kicked his dog. Complete shock and a little hurt.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast