autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New (to me) window cleaning method

A while back I saw a video on You Tube where the detailer recommended using a Magic Eraser for glass cleaning. He used an IPA solution and microfibers and got great results.

I have found that almost all (except waffle weave towels) will leave mass amounts of lint on the glass, not a good thing.

I decided to steal one of the wife's MR Clean Magic Eraser pads (the ones WITHOUT soap in them) and pick up a Meguiar's Water Magnet WW towel from Wally World.

Using Turtle Wax Dash & Glass (what I have on hand at the moment), I experimented on the wife's Explorer, with major amounts of dog drool on the interior glass. I got the eraser damp with water and sprayed the interior glass on her car. I scrubbed the glass with the eraser (the cleaner foamed up a little) and then let it dwell for a few seconds before wiping it with the water magnet. The results on her windows was incredible. The glass was so clean, if it weren't for the reflections, you wouldn't have been able to tell the window was there. So I rinsed out the eraser and did the windows on the Camaro with the same results .... awesome!

I believe I've found my new "Go To" for cleaning glass.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

2. Likes DUBL0WS6, Vegas1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New (to me) window cleaning method

I have the same experience with lint from microfibers on glass. I usually use cotton terry's for that reason, or at least cotton terry for the final wipe every time I try microfibers (I'm a glutton for punishment and I keep trying LOL).

On my own vehicles where I never let the glass get too bad, I use one damp towel (water only) followed by one or two dry towels and nothing else. They always look as close to perfect as you can get.

Post Thanks / Like

AG sells WW glass towels (well, that's where I bought mine awhile ago). I love them! They have similar appearance to Megs Water Magnet (has some of those as well). But with window tint so prevalent, I only use soft MF towels on interiors. Sometimes, I'll use a cheaper quality MF towel if the glass is really nasty - following up with my good glass towel. I use Invisible Glass (trigger spray) as my weapon of choice.

HTH

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    I have the same experience with lint from microfibers on glass. I usually use cotton terry's for that reason, or at least cotton terry for the final wipe every time I try microfibers (I'm a glutton for punishment and I keep trying LOL).

On my own vehicles where I never let the glass get too bad, I use one damp towel (water only) followed by one or two dry towels and nothing else. They always look as close to perfect as you can get.
    Get a waffle weave designed for car drying, the Water Magnet was cheap and it absorbs a lot better than paper towels or terry cloth - and it's just the right size to do a car load of windows. My wife and I are smokers (I know, BOOO, HISSS) so even though I clean the widows regularly, there is still the greasy, sticky smoke film to deal with. And after trying a billion ways to clean the glass, including multiple times, this turned out to be the single most effective way to do the windows.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AllanS View Post
    AG sells WW glass towels (well, that's where I bought mine awhile ago). I love them! They have similar appearance to Megs Water Magnet (has some of those as well). But with window tint so prevalent, I only use soft MF towels on interiors. Sometimes, I'll use a cheaper quality MF towel if the glass is really nasty - following up with my good glass towel. I use Invisible Glass (trigger spray) as my weapon of choice.

HTH
    For tint, I liked to use glass cleaner, wiped down with a wet(ish) towel (it doesn't suck up the cleaner right away like a dry one and gives the cleaner more dwell time on the glass, along with agitation), then dry the best I could with an old, CHEAP waffle weave.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

I think the magic eraser is a great idea for glass, it’s a no no for paint because it’s it’s the equivalent of 3600 grit sandpaper chemically, and I think anything you can use that’s slightly abrasive is great for glass. I’ve gotten great results recently with my 5 inch cordless Griots orbital with a purple hybrid wool pad and Windex. It makes really short work of any type of bug residue after my 200 mi monthly trip across the state. Bugs can be bad this time of year down here.
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don M View Post
    Get a waffle weave designed for car drying, the Water Magnet was cheap and it absorbs a lot better than paper towels or terry cloth - and it's just the right size to do a car load of windows. My wife and I are smokers (I know, BOOO, HISSS) so even though I clean the widows regularly, there is still the greasy, sticky smoke film to deal with. And after trying a billion ways to clean the glass, including multiple times, this turned out to be the single most effective way to do the windows.
    I smoke too! But never in my car/truck/house.

I have two Water Magnet drying towels. But there to, the cotton terry's do the job for me so I haven't resorted to them for the glass.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m an occasional cigar man but never smoke in the car. I never had to deal with smoke residue on house glass.

I tried a Mr Clean bar on car glass but had to resort to glass polish due to the stubborn coastal haze here.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don M View Post
    A while back I saw a video on You Tube where the detailer recommended using a Magic Eraser for glass cleaning. He used an IPA solution and microfibers and got great results.

I have found that almost all (except waffle weave towels) will leave mass amounts of lint on the glass, not a good thing.

Do you know if Majic

I decided to steal one of the wife's MR Clean Magic Eraser pads (the ones WITHOUT soap in them) and pick up a Meguiar's Water Magnet WW towel from Wally World.

Using Turtle Wax Dash & Glass (what I have on hand at the moment), I experimented on the wife's Explorer, with major amounts of dog drool on the interior glass. I got the eraser damp with water and sprayed the interior glass on her car. I scrubbed the glass with the eraser (the cleaner foamed up a little) and then let it dwell for a few seconds before wiping it with the water magnet. The results on her windows was incredible. The glass was so clean, if it weren't for the reflections, you wouldn't have been able to tell the window was there. So I rinsed out the eraser and did the windows on the Camaro with the same results .... awesome!

I believe I've found my new "Go To" for cleaning glass.

Do you know if Magic Eraser is safe on interior tint?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Do you know if Magic Eraser is safe on interior tint?
    I don't know, I don't have tint, so I didn't even think about it. If I *did* have tint, I would probably use a wet/VERY damp microfiber to work the cleaner around so It could dissolve/agitate the dirt/film on the glass without soaking up the cleaner before it can work. THEN I would use the WW microfiber to dry the glass.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast