autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Pressure Washer Recommendations

I知 trying to get an idea what everyone prefers for pressure washers electric or gas. I have a gas washer now but the engine just went. I知 kinda leaning towards an electric one this time since the gas was loads of maintenance (gas,oil, spark plugs etc.) but not sure if it痴 enough power for my foam gun. Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pressure Washer Recommendations

I would always take a gas-powered machine over anything else, but that is just my opinion.

It's always funny to me that most people think small gas engines are such a hassle to maintain. (Not directing this at you personally).

All that said, many on here use electric PW's and they seem to be happy with them.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

I did tons of research on pressure washers. Online reviews, personal friends, semi-professionals, etc.

Cheapest - Ryobi/Greenworks 1600 PSI 1.2GPM - $79-99

Bit better overall but not substantially so - Karcher K1700 - $140ish

Pretty substantial step up - Active VE52 - $220ish

This is only electric and the lower end of the scale. All 3 of these will work with a foam cannon(first two definitely get a 1.1 orifice).

There are definitely better but I have the cheapest of the three and it's surprisingly nice. It's super light but still seems to have good output. I am testing with my foam cannon next week.

I am super new to detailing so feel free to take all of this with a grain of salt. However, I did do over a week(yes, way more than needed) of research into what the best options for a cheaper electric were.

Post Thanks / Like

And I’m the opposite of PaulMys in that I would not want the hassle of gas. After about 3 years, most small engines I’ve had start to have trouble starting, especially compared to when new. And I take care of my gas engines and only run ethanol free gas and have regular maintenance done.

So for me I’d rather spend more money up front on a nicer electric, which would even out the lower up front cost of gas with the long-term up-keep. And a nicer electric pw has enough power to clean a car. If you do go with gas, make sure it isn’t above 3,000 psi as you don’t want too much power for cleaning a car.

5. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My vote is Gas all the way...3000 psi 2.5gpm karcher. Has a regulator to dial up/down pressure as i please.

You need high gpm more than high psi for foam cannons to work at max potential. Most electrics dont flow high gpm.

I have electric one too that i never use, just doesn't have the brass...and i hate dealing with the cord

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the feedback guys it seems like a matter of preference. I guess each one has it’s pros and cons. I guess I have a lot of homework to do.

8. Likes dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pressure Washer Recommendations

I have both a great powerful gas power washer I use for pretty much everything you need a power washer for.

I also bought a cheap Ryobi electric from HD with adapters for my nice hoses, guns, etc.

For washing a car you do not need much pressure unless maybe you are rinsing down off-road vehicles.

Gas are loud and stink. Electric is quieter and no exhaust fumes but the best part about electric is that it shuts off when you are not pressing the trigger.

For washing cars I use the cheap electric one 99% of the time.

I have no problem with foaming the cars for prewash but I do have soft water.

Obsessed Garage on YouTube has tested a ton of pressure washers. I recommend watching some of his videos on this topic just for some other perspective.

10. Likes Mallowpuff, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
    I have both a great powerful gas power washer I use for pretty much everything you need a power washer for.

I also bought a cheap Ryobi electric from HD with adapters for my nice hoses, guns, etc.

For washing a car you do not need much pressure unless maybe you are rinsing down off-road vehicles.

Gas are loud and stink. Electric is quieter and no exhaust fumes but the best part about electric is that it shuts off when you are not pressing the trigger.

For washing cars I use the cheap electric one 99% of the time.

I have no problem with foaming the cars for prewash but I do have soft water.

Obsessed Garage on YouTube has tested a ton of pressure washers. I recommend watching some of his videos on this topic just for some other perspective.
    I totally forgot about the shutting off when not in use, that was a major positive for me. Doesn't seem that important but it's so nice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mallowpuff View Post
    I totally forgot about the shutting off when not in use, that was a major positive for me. Doesn't seem that important but it's so nice.
    I’ve actually looked at 230V pressure washers and you have to spend quite a bit more for the ones that will shut off when you’re not spraying. So yes, a very nice feature of consumer grade pressure washers.

13. Likes Mallowpuff liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a gas Ryobi and it works well. The problem as others have stated is that it's LOUD. So it really determines when I can use it. I'd love to be outside at 7am washing a car, but out of respect for my neighbors I don't do that. I really try to wash a vehicle mid week during the day when most neighbors are at work. The problem with this is that I am battling the sun and heat.

I'll probably go electric next time.
    2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    1999 Camaro Z28