autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Glass cleaning issues.

So i washed my windows using 2 microfiber towels. One to spread the liquid, the other to dry. When I got out in the sun. There were water mark, type of spots all over the window.
    Question-- What towels do you use for windows?
    Any advice on obtaining a clean window?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Glass cleaning issues.

What product did you use?

I know that for me, if I clean a window using ONR, it leaves streaks in the glass using my regular micro-fiber towels. With the same towels, if I use Stoner's Invisible Glass, I get no streak.

There are towels for glass that are much better at leaving streak free finish. So you might want to try that, or switch to a better cleaner.

If you are using regular micro fiber towels, use the shortest nap possible as your dry towel.

Post Thanks / Like

I spray the glass with glass cleaner. I spray a PAPER TOWEL ie Bounty with glass cleaner, I wash the glass with the wet paper towel, then I wipe dry with a new paper towel. I never have streaks. I leaned this from a detailer. He used a Water Sprite chamois, and used paper towels that were made for cleaning glass.

Post Thanks / Like

An old timer crane operator taught me his trick of using news paper as his wiping device....it does work but i dont use that method.

Waffle weave glass towels that are slightly moist with water, or waffle weace glass towels with glass cleaner. If glass is real dirty ill use glass cleaner if it is not I will just use to moisten towel method

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Harbor Freight has a set of detailing towels called Grant's Double-Sided and they are legit for glass!

6. Thanks opie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Speedmaster waffle weave towels for spreading the cleaner, and then Griots Garage glass towels for finishing.
    I believe in treating everybody with respect, and clean cars. That’s what I believe in.

Post Thanks / Like

If your getting water spots put distilled water in a spray bottle to finish the job.

9. Likes Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Luket View Post
    So i washed my windows using 2 microfiber towels. One to spread the liquid, the other to dry. When I got out in the sun. There were water mark, type of spots all over the window.
    Question-- What towels do you use for windows?
    Any advice on obtaining a clean window?

Thanks
    Glass can be tricky, I hated doing it until I worked out what towels and techniques to use.

Firstly, are you sure the "water mark type of spots" are not in fact water-spots. You will need to use either a water-spot remover or polish to deal with that.

For towels, use either waffle weave or specific glass towel. I like Dry-Me-A-River Jr. from The Rag Company. Avoid using regular microfiber as these tend to lint onto the glass. Also, don't use newspaper, that trick once worked but no longer does due to changes made to printing ink.

For chemical, use an alcohol based cleaner, most car detailing glass cleaners are as such. P&S True Vue, Invisible Glass and Gyeon Glass are good choices. Carpro Eraser is good also.

For technique, start using two towels per car, one for the initial wipe and one to buff to streak free. If you have excessively dirty interior glass, clean as normal using the two-towel method, then do it again with two fresh towels. That helps to prevent spreading the grime from window to window, the first cleaning will remove the bulk and the second cleaning will get them rest of the way.

11. Thanks craigdt thanked for this post
    Likes CleanIT, vaca22 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you have spots that dont come off with glass cleaner or a product made specifically for removing spots, your going to have to use some type of abrasive / polish.
    Many threads out there addressing this, if you look thru them, you will learn some stuff
    Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions-- Winston Churchill
    The difference between genius & stupidity is genius has limits-- Albert Einstein

Post Thanks / Like

Thx all. Great info. I believe I will try the rag company. Dry me a river towels And Stoners

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast