autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

First large order, any input?

Hello! I am placing my first actual large detailing order today to go with my newly purchased 2008 Miata MX-5. Just some info on the car, the paint is pretty rough and a few major panels(hood, trunk, front fenders) are new paint and clear coat. I am sure that affects what should be used. Also note, I am getting my first DA ever so I am very new to this and don't want to screw it up. I am happier going over a spot a few times with less aggressive stuff then trying to do it in one swipe and screwing it up.

So, from the following list I am really needing the most info on the pads, compound, and polish. I think for the most part everything else is fine but I am definitely open to suggestions if there are any. Oh and on top of the list, I am getting a Nanoskin fine clay replacement pad and N-914 rinseless/lube.

I am unsure about what polish and pads are best. I heard Menzerna is fantastic but I don't know about their "grit" levels. I was told 400 might be a bit aggressive for a beginner compound and I'd be best in the 1000-1500 area. This looked good but it's OOS, Menzerna Power Gloss, Power Finish & Super Finish Bundle, Menzerna Polishes Combo, Nano Polish, Power Finish Polish, Power Gloss Compound and this I am unsure about because I don't think PO 91E is aggressive enough for pretty rough paint? Menzerna Intro Kit, Menzerna polishes, Menzerna Final Polish, Intensive polish

I am buying a GG G9 also.

Thanks for any help on any part of this, I really appreciate it!

Mike Phillips

Re: First large order, any input?

Getting ready to go LIVE for our Thursday class but have a quick read-through, that looks like a pretty good assortment to get you going and finish the job.

:buffigng:

3. Likes Mallowpuff liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Kinda hard to follow-up on a MP repsonse... but....

Looks good to me. Given what you are spending I'd fork-up an additional $20 and get the gallon of F-bomb... you get more value for the dollar that way.

5. Likes Mallowpuff liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you'll need more pads.

Menzerna is good stuff but very oily and I'm not sure I'd try coating a car after using Menzerna, you can definitely do it but you'll need a few applications of Eraser to get it super clean to coat. Perhaps something like Sonax Cutmax and Perfect Finish would work better IMO. Either way you'll do well, just more work if using the Menzerna ones.

Not sure which of those towels you're getting to level the coating but you'll want a low pile towel for that and I'm not familiar with the ones you chose. I love Gyeon Bald Wipe for wiping excess coating off. You'll a few towels per coat so if you do one coat of CSL and 2 coats of EXO, count on using about 10 to 12 towels (which I reuse but some people discard). You won't have time to wash them and reuse them between coats so you need a decent amount of towels just for the coating job alone.
    Bruno Soares

7. Likes DFB, dwaleke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Its a pretty extensive list you have.

If it was me... I would add the 5" inch backing plate and use the 5.5" pads instead of a 6" backing plate with 6.5" pads. It might take a little longer to finish the car but you get more control over the machine. Also... I dont think you have enough pads.

Menzerna have some great polishes. One of my favorite is Medium cut 2400. It used to be call (Super Intensive Polish) and with the right pad... you would be amaze how well it removes defects and finish down. It is a diminishing polish and has long working time.

If you are using CS and EXO as a coating... I would also recommend using their panel wipe instead of Eraser to prevent any possible bonding issues. I havent use CS for a while but I remember the coating is a bit grabby during the removal. A shorter nap MF towel or a dedicated coating removal towel would make it easier.

I didnt see any iron remover or clay in your list. I assume you already have those.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoolfso View Post
    Kinda hard to follow-up on a MP repsonse... but....

Looks good to me. Given what you are spending I'd fork-up an additional $20 and get the gallon of F-bomb... you get more value for the dollar that way.
    Thanks! Unfortunately the 1 gal is sold out.

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    I think you'll need more pads.

Menzerna is good stuff but very oily and I'm not sure I'd try coating a car after using Menzerna, you can definitely do it but you'll need a few applications of Eraser to get it super clean to coat. Perhaps something like Sonax Cutmax and Perfect Finish would work better IMO. Either way you'll do well, just more work if using the Menzerna ones.

Not sure which of those towels you're getting to level the coating but you'll want a low pile towel for that and I'm not familiar with the ones you chose. I love Gyeon Bald Wipe for wiping excess coating off. You'll a few towels per coat so if you do one coat of CSL and 2 coats of EXO, count on using about 10 to 12 towels (which I reuse but some people discard). You won't have time to wash them and reuse them between coats so you need a decent amount of towels just for the coating job alone.
    I'll look at Sonax. Thanks for the info!

I have a 12 pack of TRC Pearl Coating Removal Towels on the way from Amazon, they were sold out here.

Quote Originally Posted by psnt1ol View Post
    Its a pretty extensive list you have.

If it was me... I would add the 5" inch backing plate and use the 5.5" pads instead of a 6" backing plate with 6.5" pads. It might take a little longer to finish the car but you get more control over the machine. Also... I dont think you have enough pads.

Menzerna have some great polishes. One of my favorite is Medium cut 2400. It used to be call (Super Intensive Polish) and with the right pad... you would be amaze how well it removes defects and finish down. It is a diminishing polish and has long working time.

If you are using CS and EXO as a coating... I would also recommend using their panel wipe instead of Eraser to prevent any possible bonding issues. I havent use CS for a while but I remember the coating is a bit grabby during the removal. A shorter nap MF towel or a dedicated coating removal towel would make it easier.

I didnt see any iron remover or clay in your list. I assume you already have those.
    I didn't think about that.. I'll definitely consider it. How many pads are actually recommended? I assume 5 cutting pads would be plenty along with two finishing pads. I can grab more but a few people I talked to said it was plenty.

I'll take a look at the 2400.

I'll look at the Gtechniq panel wipe. As for the towels, I mentioned that above. And lastly, it's a dark paint so I was told iron remover isn't needed but I can look. And for clay I am using the Nanoskin rubber pad.

Thanks everyone! I've changed to CarPro Reset and I added Perl. I was told Reset was a better wash than G-Wash even on the Gtechniq coating, however I'm down for either.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree on the 5.5" backing plate and more pads. I would have at least 6 of each cutting/polishing pads.

Also, since you are new to this, why not go with the Griot's creams? They are all color-coded to the correct Griot's pads, so it takes all of the guess work out of it.

Plus, the Griot's creams are among the very best in the industry. Not even the pros would argue that fact.

Much easier to start with a system than to try and "mix-n-match" for your first go-round.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Agree on the 5.5" backing plate and more pads. I would have at least 6 of each cutting/polishing pads.

Also, since you are new to this, why not go with the Griot's creams? They are all color-coded to the correct Griot's pads, so it takes all of the guess work out of it.

Plus, the Griot's creams are among the very best in the industry. Not even the pros would argue that fact.

Much easier to start with a system than to try and "mix-n-match" for your first go-round.
    Man, that's way more than I expected. But I'll consider going the 5.5" pad route.

Really the only reason I wasn't going Griot's is because the polish is OOS at Autogeek.

Post Thanks / Like

5 cutting and 5 polishing pads is a good start.

the reason for iron remover is that it would loosen embedded contaminants as well as getting rid of iron particles. Plus it would make claying so much easier. The idea is to get the paint as bare as possible before any paint corrections.

Similar approach should be taken when polishing as well. As you move from the defect removal phase to the finishing (polishing) stage .... the cleaner you needs to be so hence the extra pads. Nothing worst than to have your pad over saturated with product and clear coat residue when you try to finish down.

CarPro Reset is my coating soap of choice and the GTechnig panel wipe is one of the strongest panel wipe out there so removing the polishing oil should be no problem. We as a community has a tendency to be bench chemist and as such would mix and match products with varying results.
    When it comes to coating, I tend to stay with the coating manufacturers own line of panel prep. I assumed they would know more about what the coating needs (to bond with the paint) and would therefore engineer a product to serve those needs. Be very liberal with the panel wipe prior to installing the coating and you should be fine.

I switched over from Menzerna to 3D over a year ago but I used Menzerna 2400 exclusively as a one step prior to a LSP frequently in the past.

Here is an old before and after pic I had to demonstrate my point. This was a single stage guards red porsche paint (med to soft paint). Menzerna 2400 with orange LC force hybrid pad.

Before.

After

I hope this helps.

13. Likes PaulMys, Mallowpuff liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You definitely want iron remover regardless of color. You may not see it turn purple but it doesn’t mean iron isn’t on the surface.

I’ve used the Pearl towels before, they’re ok, I had lint issues with it, not too bad but the Bald Wipe is way nicer (and more expensive too).

I think 5 cutting pads are fine, maybe 4 finishing pads would work too on that small car. I agree with those saying use 5.5” instead of 6.5”, even though the G9 has plenty of power to turn the larger pad. Since you won’t have a smaller polisher like 3” then you’ll want the smaller 5.5” to reach more areas. And with such curvy car the larger 6.5” might stall a decent amount.
    Bruno Soares

15. Likes Mallowpuff, dwaleke liked this post
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast