autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: First large order, any input?

Alright, last question for now. For a car that is outside 90% of the time, and in semi-direct sun and under trees, is coating a good way to go? I know nothing will be good, no way around it. I plan on changing the full sun thing eventually but I don't expect that within a year.

Would I be best with wax until I can start storing under cover?

Post Thanks / Like

I’d not use a coating if my car was outside and under a tree all the time. It will end up with water spots and tree sap on it and to remove those you’ll end up damaging the coating. For a car that is outside I would go with a sealant and/or wax.

That’s just my personal opinion.
    Bruno Soares

3. Likes dwaleke, Mallowpuff, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    I’d not use a coating if my car was outside and under a tree all the time. It will end up with water spots and tree sap on it and to remove those you’ll end up damaging the coating. For a car that is outside I would go with a sealant and/or wax.

I think I am going wax/sealant and then getting a coating once I have a permanent spot under cover for it.

5. Likes Bruno Soares liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree 100%.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Is the 3D Speed a "top notch" wax/sealant? Like should I just go right out and get the 3D One/Speed combo or should I take another 9 hours for research? Haha

Post Thanks / Like

First large order, any input?

Quote Originally Posted by Mallowpuff View Post
    Is the 3D Speed a "top notch" wax/sealant? Like should I just go right out and get the 3D One/Speed combo or should I take another 9 hours for research? Haha
    Speed is a good product but the protection in an AIO is nothing to get excited about. It's in there to be a time saver.

Since this is your car and it seems you have no problem putting in the time I would not use an AIO and get a dedicated protection product.

Jescar Power Lock Plus (I think it is sold here) is a very popular sealant. There is a close cousin to this in the Wolfgang line (Deep Crystal Paint Sealant or something like that) that is/was very popular in the forum. Some people like to top Power Lock with Collinite 845.

Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax is another good sealant that has good properties and durability if applied using a slightly off label dry application method. It has ceramic in the name but I don't think it is any more prone to water spots than these other sealants. It is not an SIO2 coating.

Turtle Wax Seal and Shine (SNS) has a cult following. I've used it myself but I prefer their ICE spray wax more then SNS. SNS lasts extremely long time in short term chemical tests but my experience in the real world was that it didn't last any longer than the ICE spray wax and that looks better and applies a little nicer.

The world has gone a bit crazy with Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions and now all the graphene products coming on the market.

9. Likes Mallowpuff, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mallowpuff View Post
    Speed is a great AIO product, but you won't be needing its correcting properties if you are using 3D One before. It also doesn't have very long lasting protection. 3D Poxy is the Montan wax/sealant that Speed has a percentage of. I have not used it, though I've read good things about it.

You could also try a coating "lite" type product. They have all the water beading and dust repelling properties of a coating, are as easy to apply as a sealant (after a prep wipe of course), but don't last as long as a true coating. Then you can re-polish and re-coat yearly, keeping the surface fresh. Something like Gyeon Can Coat or CQuartz Lite, maybe? Trying to pick one system or LSP is a mind boggling process because there are so many good options.

11. Likes Mallowpuff liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What about something like this? 3D HD One and Poxy 5.5? Paint Renewal Kit HD One to polish/compound and Poxy to wax/seal?

Also, update; My friend/body shop just told me he'd rather repaint the entire car from scratch. Like complete pull apart and repaint. Not sure if that would change something.

The reason for it is after a good cleaning I have found 2-3 dents per panel, every panel.

Post Thanks / Like

If you get a paint job on your car, be prepared to wait about 2 months before you can seal the paint. Check with your body shop on the exact time needed for their paint to stop out gassing.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

If you get a paint job on your car, be prepared to wait about 2 months before you can seal the paint. Check with your body shop on the exact time needed for their paint to stop out gassing.
    He told me 2-4 weeks for wax and 4-8 weeks for coating. He said he doesn't use coatings but almost always waxes at the 2-3 week mark with no issues ever. I'm fine waiting as long as needed. Better safe than sorry even if he would fix it if something went wrong.

The only reason I'll probably jump on this is he'll do it completely free minus materials. Even still it'll be 1-2 months until he can do it probably.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast