autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: First large order, any input?

Quote Originally Posted by Mallowpuff View Post
    Also, does anyone have opinions on LC vs Boss pads? In the 5.5" I am looking almost half the price for the LC Flat pads
    I never tried the boss pad but I heard many good things about it when used with the GG machines. I have several types of machine ( standard DA, gear driven DA, Long throw DA, rotary) from various companies. I need pads that can jump from machine to machine. I find the LC Forced Hybrid to works well on average across my range of polishers. Trust me.... I tried quite a few pad manufactures in the past. It works the best with a gear driven machine. The LC forced Hybrid pads are pretty durable too so I dont currently have any reasons to change.

I say get the best deal you can. GG makes pretty good products and it is a company I trust.

Post Thanks / Like

Also, does anyone have opinions on LC vs Boss pads? In the 5.5" I am looking almost half the price for the LC Flat pads
    The non-BOSS Griot's pads may be more comparable to the LC Flat pads.

Post Thanks / Like

What about six 6" and six 5" pads? I noticed the 6 pack of BOSS 5" is OOS. If you guys think all should be 5", I'll most likely go mostly LC.

Other than that, still figuring polish/compound and I'll be done.

EDIT: I am thinking BOSS Correcting Cream/Fast CC and Menzerna Super Finish Plus.

Thanks!

4. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What about six 6" and six 5" pads? I noticed the 6 pack of BOSS 5" is OOS. If you guys think all should be 5", I'll most likely go mostly LC.

EDIT: I am thinking BOSS Correcting Cream/Fast CC and Menzerna Super Finish Plus.

Thanks!
    You can do that and use the larger ones on bigger/flatter panels. But remember you’ll have to switch backing plates each time you change pad size. That may or may not annoy you as you have to stop the flow to do that. I did that in the beginning switching from 5.5” to 3.5” and back, that got old pretty quick.
    Bruno Soares

6. Likes Mallowpuff liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If this is just for a Miata, you could probably skip the 6".

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!
    Buff and Shine Uro-tec are good pads too. The 6" pad has a 5" backing which is what you want.

If you are going with the BOSS creams I'd get Fast Correcting Cream and Perfecting Cream first as the two you'll use most for your 2 step corrections. Then you can add Correcting Cream for your first step on softer paints or possibly one step on harder paints.

Menzerna polish is oily and DAT based (abrasives are stuck together into larger chunks and break apart into smaller pieces by heat as you buff - extending the range of correction->finishing capability). You'll need to work the polish until the abrasives are broken apart for best results. Usually not a problem.

BOSS creams are great IMO and they are SMAT based (abrasives start uniform in size and do not break apart throughout the buffing cycle). Buff as long as you need to get the correction/finishing result. Allows you to use fewer passes if that's all it takes. Some people have a preference and some people don't care. I see no reason to grab Super Finish plus over Perfecting Cream if you are getting the other BOSS creams. I'd just stick with the same family of polish and focus on technique.

Either way you go just sharing that I've used both and I would not go back to Menzerna polish after using the BOSS creams. I am more partial to SMAT based polishes though but others have posted that they feel the same way.

All that said if someone was just starting and didn't want to spend a lot of money to have product sitting on the shelf I'd recommend they just buy 3D ONE and just change the pad for what you are trying to do. 3D ONE will likely not cut as well as Fast Correcting Cream with the same pad, but I've found it finishes about the same as Perfecting Cream when I compared side-by-side on the same paints.

Everyone has a preference and there are lots of options so you will likely get a lot of different recommendations.

EDIT: Added more detail to my comments.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
    Buff and Shine Uro-tec are good pads too. If those are stocked in the 5" size.

If you are going with the BOSS creams I'd get Fast Correcting Cream and Perfecting Cream first as the two you'll use most. Then you can add correcting cream for your first step on softer paints or possibly one step on harder paints.

Menzerna polish is oily and DAT based. BOSS creams are great and they are SMAT based. Some people have a preference and some people don't care. I see no reason to grab Super Finish plus over Perfecting Cream.

I've used both and I wouldn't go back to Menzerna polish after using the BOSS creams. I am more partial to SMAT based polishes though but others have posted that they feel the same way.

All that said it someone was just starting and didn't want to spend a lot of money to have product sitting on the shelf I'd recommend they just buy 3D ONE and just change the pad for what you are trying to do. Unless you have really hard clear coat it'll likely be your go to polish.
    I'll look at those pads.

And I see.. I was hoping to go with something available on AG(So not perfecting polish) because Amazon is like $6 overpriced on it, but I can go that route. I was also looking at the 3D stuff, they looked great but since it advertises itself as an all-in-one type compound/finish, I assumed it was a gimmicky product. However, I really only hear positive things about 3D Products.

EDIT: The Uro-Cell pads come in 5 inch but say to use a 4 inch backing plate. The 6 inch say to use a 5 inch backing pad.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used the BOSS pads and while they are stout and work well, I find that their ultra-thin profile makes it harder to buff curved panels. The G9 has plenty of torque and doesn't necessarily benefit from the thinner construction. I prefer the Buff and Shine Uro-Tec pads personally, but regular LC or B&S flat pads work very very well and is hard to argue the price.

You can get a 12-pack of LC flat pads for the same price as a 6-pack of boss pads, and in this case I think having multiple pads of different grades is optimal. Maybe grab a 12-pack of LC flats and get 5 orange, 4 white, and maybe a couple blues and a black for finer finishing and waxing. You never know how the paint is going to react to which foam and polish grade until you do your test spots, so having different foams will help you dial in your process!

11. Likes dwaleke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll look at those pads.

And I see.. I was hoping to go with something available on AG(So not perfecting polish) because Amazon is like $6 overpriced on it, but I can go that route. I was also looking at the 3D stuff, they looked great but since it advertises itself as an all-in-one type compound/finish, I assumed it was a gimmicky product. However, I really only hear positive things about 3D Products.

EDIT: The Uro-Cell pads come in 5 inch but say to use a 4 inch backing plate. The 6 inch say to use a 5 inch backing pad.
    Hmm.. Very odd that Autogeek does not have Perfecting Cream. I thought they carried all the BOSS creams.

3D ONE is not a gimmick. If anything (to me) it is more like a medium cut polish that can finish like a finish polish just by changing the pads. So I see it more like Griot's Correcting Cream with a cutting pad that can finish like Perfecting Cream by using a light polishing pad. Using only one liquid instead of two. Excellent for 1 step paint enhancement type work where ultimate correction and ultimate finishing is not expected.

If something needs more serious correction though I prefer to use Fast Correcting Cream, 3D ACA 500, Sonax Cut Max, etc. Something dedicated to more correction. And the same goes on the other extreme with some finicky soft paints that might require a dedicated finish polish.

If I had to choose between Fast Correcting Cream/Perfecting Cream or 3D ONE I'd still pick the Griot's twins.

For the pads go by the size of the velcro (hook and loop) backing. If you have a 5" backing plate on the machine then you want pads with a 5" hook and loop backing on them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crg001 View Post
    I've used the BOSS pads and while they are stout and work well, I find that their ultra-thin profile makes it harder to buff curved panels. The G9 has plenty of torque and doesn't necessarily benefit from the thinner construction. I prefer the Buff and Shine Uro-Tec pads personally, but regular LC or B&S flat pads work very very well and is hard to argue the price.

You can get a 12-pack of LC flat pads for the same price as a 6-pack of boss pads, and in this case I think having multiple pads of different grades is optimal. Maybe grab a 12-pack of LC flats and get 5 orange, 4 white, and maybe a couple blues and a black for finer finishing and waxing. You never know how the paint is going to react to which foam and polish grade until you do your test spots, so having different foams will help you dial in your process!
    Thanks!! I'll consider the flat pads. They are definitely super cheap compared to BOSS pads.

Quote Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
    Hmm.. Very odd that Autogeek does not have Perfecting Cream. I thought they carried all the BOSS creams.

3D ONE is not a gimmick. If anything (to me) it is more like a medium cut polish that can finish like a finish polish just by changing the pads. So I see it more like Griot's Correcting Cream with a cutting pad that can finish like Perfecting Cream by using a light polishing pad. Using only one liquid instead of two. Excellent for 1 step paint enhancement type work where ultimate correction and ultimate finishing is not expected.

If something needs more serious correction though I prefer to use Fast Correcting Cream, 3D ACA 500, Sonax Cut Max, etc. Something dedicated to more correction. And the same goes on the other extreme with some finicky soft paints that might require a dedicated finish polish.

If I had to choose between Fast Correcting Cream/Perfecting Cream or 3D ONE I'd still pick the Griot's twins.

For the pads go by the size of the velcro (hook and loop) backing. If you have a 5" backing plate on the machine then you want pads with a 5" hook and loop backing on them.
    Thanks for the info. I attached a couple pics, you can tell it needs some love.. It is getting some paint work done but a lot of it is this bad(dents are getting fixed). I am looking at all of these different compounds/polishes, there are so many that all say they do the same thing. Like 10+, it's pretty confusing lol

First large order, any input?-p1010738-jpgFirst large order, any input?-p1010739-2-jpg

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast