autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Newbie - Start Me On The Right Path

I have enjoyed cleaning/detailing for years and want to up my game. In the past I have done a clay bar and a polish, and rarely at that. That was a while ago, then I became lazy and turned into a wash/wax guy, and now I want to do more advanced detailing. I have 4 cars, all garaged:

1. 2007 Volvo, black sapphire metallic, never been paint corrected
    2. 2011 BMW 328, navy blue metallic, professionally painted corrected once in 2015
    3. 1986 Lotus Turbo Esprit, gloss black, brand new single stage paint job in 2019
    4. 2021 Lotus Evora, Essex blue metallic clear coat (think the cool ink blue on Subaru WRXs), has PPF on the front

My aim is to “practice” on the daily drivers and then move to the two Lotus, realizing they need different levels of treatment from the Volvo/BMW. I have done a lot of reading on this forum and elsewhere and I was hoping you could critique my proposed process/tools to see if I am making any drastic mistakes anywhere, as most of this will be a new purchase for me.

1. Wash with a wax-removing soap, such as Dawn
    2. Clay with traditional clay bar and detailing spray (own both already)
    3. Compound: (Volvo/BMW only) Griots G9, 5” disk conversion, Lake Country CCS orange pad, Meguiars Ultimate Compound, removal with Griots microfiber plush edgeless towels (14901)
    4. Polish: Griots G9, LC CCS white pad, Meguiars Ultimate Polish, removal with Griots microfiber plush edgeless towels (14901). Note: hand polish only on the PPF sections of the Evora. Note 2: I happen to own the polish already, open to other suggestions if this is the wrong way to go
    5. Wax/Seal: Griots Ceramic 3-in-1 wax spray, spread with Griots microfiber plush edgeless towels (14901)

A few notes:

1. I was going to go full ceramic coating versus the 3-in-1; I could still be convinced.
    2. Even if I don’t go full ceramic, I am most uncertain about step 5. Should I choose a product I can apply with the G9 and a LC CCS black pad?
    3. Iron remover. Necessary?
    4. Wheel cleaner recommendation? (or point me to your favorite thread on the subject)
    5. Glass recommendation? (or point me to your favorite thread on the subject)

This is a big purchase/upgrade for me and I know there are a ton of opinions so please, lay them on me so I can move out and really treat my cars.
    Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newbie - Start Me On The Right Path

Quote Originally Posted by olfac87 View Post
    I have enjoyed cleaning/detailing for years and want to up my game. In the past I have done a clay bar and a polish, and rarely at that. That was a while ago, then I became lazy and turned into a wash/wax guy, and now I want to do more advanced detailing. I have 4 cars, all garaged:

1. 2007 Volvo, black sapphire metallic, never been paint corrected
    2. 2011 BMW 328, navy blue metallic, professionally painted corrected once in 2015
    3. 1986 Lotus Turbo Esprit, gloss black, brand new single stage paint job in 2019
    4. 2021 Lotus Evora, Essex blue metallic clear coat (think the cool ink blue on Subaru WRXs), has PPF on the front

My aim is to “practice” on the daily drivers and then move to the two Lotus, realizing they need different levels of treatment from the Volvo/BMW. I have done a lot of reading on this forum and elsewhere and I was hoping you could critique my proposed process/tools to see if I am making any drastic mistakes anywhere, as most of this will be a new purchase for me.

3. Compound: (Volvo/BMW only) Griots G9, 5” disk conversion, Lake Country CCS orange pad, Meguiars Ultimate Compound, removal with Griots microfiber plush edgeless towels (14901)
    4. Polish: Griots G9, LC CCS white pad, Meguiars Ultimate Polish, removal with Griots microfiber plush edgeless towels (14901). Note: hand polish only on the PPF sections of the Evora. Note 2: I happen to own the polish already, open to other suggestions if this is the wrong way to go
    5. Wax/Seal: Griots Ceramic 3-in-1 wax spray, spread with Griots microfiber plush edgeless towels (14901)

A few notes:

1. I was going to go full ceramic coating versus the 3-in-1; I could still be convinced.
    2. Even if I don’t go full ceramic, I am most uncertain about step 5. Should I choose a product I can apply with the G9 and a LC CCS black pad?
    3. Iron remover. Necessary?
    4. Wheel cleaner recommendation? (or point me to your favorite thread on the subject)
    5. Glass recommendation? (or point me to your favorite thread on the subject)

This is a big purchase/upgrade for me and I know there are a ton of opinions so please, lay them on me so I can move out and really treat my cars.
    Thank you.

I recommend using a dedicated car soap and leave the dawn for dishes. I prefer a car soap that has no gloss agent and rinse clear if I am to polish. Balckfire foam soap is on sale now on Autogeek and you should check it out. Have plenty of wash medias available and dedicate some just for the bottom panels during the wash.

An iron remover helps in removing contaminants and will make the following claying process easier.

I prefer using a clay lube (CarPro Immulube) or car soap to clay. The point is to remove embedded particles. Most detail spray has gloss or wax (synthetic or natural) agent in it and I think it is kind of going backwards if you are to polish on the next step.

I dont do much heavy compounding these days. The goal is to do the least aggressive approach to get the job done. The trend in clear coat preservation is to sort out the right combination of pad, correction liquid, and machine to get the job done in the least amount of steps. A Test Spot will help guide you in determining which combo is best. Very important... have plenty of pads available and dont try to do the entire vehicle with just 1- 2 pads.

PPF can be polish with a machine as well. There are products for that.

As far as LSP goes..... Its all a personal choice. I literally dont remember the last time I used a wax. There are those who enjoy applying a layer of wax every other month but I am a sealant and coating guy.

3. Likes PaulMys, Texchappy, bob m liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psnt1ol View Post
      I recommend using a dedicated car soap and leave the dawn for dishes. I prefer a car soap that has no gloss agent and rinse clear if I am to polish. Balckfire foam soap is on sale now on Autogeek and you should check it out. Have plenty of wash medias available and dedicate some just for the bottom panels during the wash.

An iron remover helps in removing contaminants and will make the following claying process easier.
      I prefer using a clay lube (CarPro Immulube) or car soap to clay. The point is to remove embedded particles. Most detail spray has gloss or wax (synthetic or natural) agent in it and I think it is kind of going backwards if you are to polish on the next step.
      I dont do much heavy compounding these days. The goal is to do the least aggressive approach to get the job done. The trend in clear coat preservation is to sort out the right combination of pad, correction liquid, and machine to get the job done in the least amount of steps. A Test Spot will help guide you in determining which combo is best. Very important... have plenty of pads available and dont try to do the entire vehicle with just 1- 2 pads.
      PPF can be polish with a machine as well. There are products for that.
      As far as LSP goes..... Its all a personal choice. I literally dont remember the last time I used a wax. There are those who enjoy applying a layer of wax every other month but I am a sealant and coating guy.
    Thanks for the fast reply. On the soap, the site says “BLACKFIRE Foam Soap will not remove or alter any existing coatings” I want to remove existing coatings to basically start from scratch, yes? I have dedicated car soaps for maintenance washes after that.

Good tip on the pads. I read at least four per stage, maybe more on my bigger wagon.

Any PPF polish recommendations? Glad to hear I can use the DA.

What sealant/coating do you use?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the fast reply. On the soap, the site says “BLACKFIRE Foam Soap will not remove or alter any existing coatings” I want to remove existing coatings to basically start from scratch, yes? I have dedicated car soaps for maintenance washes after that.

Good tip on the pads. I read at least four per stage, maybe more on my bigger wagon.

Any PPF polish recommendations? Glad to hear I can use the DA.

After the iron remover and claying.... whatever wax or sealant on the car will most likely be gone by then. I use Gyeon Renew but then I also have success using a light polish with a black pad in the past. It really depends on the condition of the PPF.

If you are as anal as I am... I wipe the vehicle down with a strong panel wipe prior to any correction to ensure I am working on bare paint.

Post Thanks / Like

After the iron remover and claying.... whatever wax or sealant on the car will most likely be gone by then. I use Gyeon Renew but then I also have success using a light polish with a black pad in the past. It really depends on the condition of the PPF.
    And after that, the machine polishing will surely take care of any remaining LSP.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh boy.... Here are just some I use frequently.

303 Graphene
    CarPro Reload, Hydro2, CQUK, SIC
    TeacSystem Moonlight
    Powerlock
    Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Surface Coating

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    And after that, the machine polishing will surely take care of any remaining LSP.
    Absolutely...

Post Thanks / Like

If you are as anal as I am... I wipe the vehicle down with a strong panel wipe prior to any correction to ensure I am working on bare paint.
    The PPF is brand new, applied by the factory. I am not even sure what brand it is. It sounds like with careful masking to avoid product in the edges I can use the DA and a light polish. And thank you everyone for the help on removing the LSP (had to look up what that meant). Seems like I can use a regular car wash and let the subsequent stages like the iron remover and claybar remove the LSP before I start any correcting and polishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Regarding this bit of info: "I dont do much heavy compounding these days. The goal is to do the least aggressive approach to get the job done. The trend in clear coat preservation is to sort out the right combination of pad, correction liquid, and machine to get the job done in the least amount of steps. A Test Spot will help guide you in determining which combo is best."

Does a polish count as a correction liquid? So, say for a paint job where I can't even find any swirls, going with a polish and light pad as the first test will be fine as far as being the least aggressive approach? Or is the assumption that least aggressive means testing to find the least aggressive compound/pad followed by a polish?

Mike Phillips

Does a polish count as a correction liquid?

So, say for a paint job where I can't even find any swirls, going with a polish and light pad as the first test will be fine as far as being the least aggressive approach?

Yes and yes.

Here's my experience, even for cars in really nice condition, if it's been a while since they were machine polished - then you will see a dramatic difference in gloss and shine simply by machine polishing.

I detail cars all the time where the average person when looking at the car thinks it looks great. Then after just doing basic steps, wash and dry, clay machine polish - the gloss is amped up by 10-fold.

Plus - now you know you have perfect paint and perfectly clean paint - ready for the sealing step.

12. Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast