autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Another Newbie Question - Sorry

Hello everyone,

Since I purchased my black 2016 Cadillac XTS last year (very low miles), I have noticed that since winter is over in the Midwest (fingers crossed), it is time to detail my car like you professionals!! So I started reading many, and I mean many forums and threads regarding machine or hand polish to so many variations of compounds, polishers and pads to do a professional job. What is the most recommended machine for a modest $200 budget and for a newbie? I know, many would say Flex or Meguiars, but after reading many reviews on both, they seem to have their pros and cons.

I have detailed my own cars by hand for many, many years, and I must say I do quite well, but seeing the newer polishers out there (yes, I know they have been out for many years, but mostly for pros), I want to try my luck at one of these machines and see if I can do the same as you professionals. So, what is a budget for newbies on all things needed to the job right? $400, $500 or??? i have noticed swirl marks on the trunk lid and I can't seem to remove them by hand, hence the reason for a polisher.

Thank you all for your feedback and suggestions. I know there is a lot for newbies to learn when it comes to machine or by hand.

Caddy1959

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Another Newbie Question - Sorry

Well, I'm about to pull the trigger on a Griot's G9 polisher for $160, which i think is a great start if you're looking for a new machine.

I can certainly appreciate hand polishing, especially if you have the time. I used to do that when I was a teenager, but I also knew zero about what I was doing. Save the hand polishing for tricky angles and hard-to-reach places. A good DA polisher might change your life!

Post Thanks / Like

Get a Griots G9, it’s kind of become the standard and is great for a beginner. Or a professional. 180 bucks or so…

And don’t let the forums confuse you, just watch the detailing how to videos above. Wash the car , polish the car, seal the car ...that’s about it. You can get fancy with coatings and other products later.
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for the Griot's G9. Even though I don't own one so my recommendation is purely from research, I think it's the best deal going right now.

I recommended the G9 to a friend of mine in Ohio and he loves it.

I do own two Griot's polishers, a GR3 and a G8, so I can vouch for Griot's quality in a general sense.

If I were in the market for a 5/6 inch random orbital, it would be the G9.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone for the fast and honest responses. I will look into Griots products; I have heard of them, but never used them, I have always been a Maquiars fan and one of my best favorite products was always Liquid Glass.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum! You're in a good place for knowledgeable answers!

+1 for the G9, I'd also recommend the Griot's BOSS creams for correction. Make sure to have enough pads on hand.

Choosing a Last Step Product is the hardest part!

One other recommendation I would make is to take a solid couple of weeks reading/researching/asking questions on here before diving in and buying a bunch of products. It's easy to impulse buy a bunch of stuff only to find out you have very little actual use for it. (Not that I have any products on my shelf that I haven't even made it to using yet... oh wait... )

Where in the Mid West are you?

Mike Phillips

Do you own a 1959 Caddy?

I was looking at 1957, 1958 and 1959 Cadillacs for sale just last night.

Love the big fins!

Post Thanks / Like

I also have several GG polishers as well as the Flex and Rupes machines. Can't go wrong with the G9 as a starter polisher.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd go with a G9 also. try the boss creams also I'd look to see if they have a kit with G9, Boss creams, pads, cheaper than buying all separate. Second oneheadlight on enough pads.

10. Likes dwaleke liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello Mike,

I used to own a "barn find" 1959 Cadillac Flat Top, Beige. All it needed was TLC and a week later it looked almost showroom new. Looking for one now, but a big price difference from 30 years ago when I found mine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast