autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Another Newbie Question - Sorry

Thank you again everyone. Looks like I am going with the G9 as recommended. I see Griots website has various kits available. I will start there and yes, pick up enough pads. So I want to start with orange pad for the deep swirl marks on the trunk lid? And, what is all the talk about making sure you buy a back plate and extra power cord?

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of people go with the vented 5" backing plate to use smaller pads which is helpful on cars with more curves. Smaller pads will be slightly cheaper. They sell a 25' power cord. I haven't bought that.

Griots matches the color of the pad to the compound/polish so orange pads with the correcting cream and white pads with the fast correcting cream, which would be more aggressive.

Post Thanks / Like

It's great to see all the G9 recommendations. I was going to go that route as well. I really want a kit except most of them include extra 6.5" pads and I want to swap down to the 5" setup.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you think in the future you will start doing this on the side for extra cash? If so keep in mind time equals money.

I started doing vehicles other than I own. Now I wish I would have went with gear driven. If you have the extra money to splurge upfront I would.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I was just watching Dallas Paint Correction video on YT explaining about 5" pads vs 6" pads. I am on major brain overload, Lol. Scott has a lot of videos and a lot of detail knowledge. So now if I buy the G9, I have to purchase a 5' backing plate, at least 10 orange pads, 10 white pads, 10 microfiber pads, etc........

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    Do you think in the future you will start doing this on the side for extra cash? If so keep in mind time equals money.

I started doing vehicles other than I own. Now I wish I would have went with gear driven. If you have the extra money to splurge upfront I would.
    Well, now, that's an interesting question. I am feeling daunted maintaining my own four cars. While it might be nice to help out a family member of friend one day, I don't ever see doing this for cash. This is strictly a therapeutic exercise and is me compensating for the fact I can barely work on the cars, so to spend quality time with them cleaning is my bonding activity.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caddy1959 View Post
    I was just watching Dallas Paint Correction video on YT explaining about 5" pads vs 6" pads. I am on major brain overload, Lol. Scott has a lot of videos and a lot of detail knowledge. So now if I buy the G9, I have to purchase a 5' backing plate, at least 10 orange pads, 10 white pads, 10 microfiber pads, etc........
    I am in the same boat as you! I introduced myself yesterday, have been studying and reading, and I am on major overload as well. Every time I feel like I am narrowing in on a course of action, some new piece of info comes my way (which is great in a way). So far I am appreciating this thread and will keep following it for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

So now if I buy the G9, I have to purchase a 5' backing plate, at least 10 orange pads, 10 white pads, 10 microfiber pads, etc........
    You can break up the car and do a bit at a time. Do correcting one night, wash your pads, continue in the morning, etc. And if you're buying a lot of pads, you could save some money going with something like this:
    Lake Country 5 1/2 x 7/8 inch Beveled Edge Pads 6 Pack, foam pad kit, build a kit, buffing pads, curved edge pads

Stack that with an Autogeek sale and it'll be much cheaper than buying Griot's pads.

Mike Phillips

Hello Mike,

I used to own a "barn find" 1959 Cadillac Flat Top, Beige. All it needed was TLC and a week later it looked almost showroom new.
    I've owned 5 1959 Cadillacs, loved them all. One was a 53,000 mile pristine Flattop.

The 1956 Tbird next to the Caddy belongs to my friend Brian and he still has it.

My first was also a 4-door Flattop, I cut the top off but did it in a way I could re-attach it for winter driving. Here it is ready to pull my boat.

I stuffed a 468 Big Block Chevy in this one,

Looking for one now, but a big price difference from 30 years ago when I found mine.

I get you... prices are to the moon on just about anything old and cool. I monitor a number of websites for classic Caddys, Hemmings, Autotrader, eBay as well as these two sites,

Classic Cars for Sale - Streetside Classics - The Nation's #1 Consignment Dealer

Worldwide Vintage Autos

Check out this site,

Dream Cars 1959

10. Likes Caddy1959 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Olfac87, ok was just a thought. Maybe for you in the future your LSP shoukd be a coating...sounds like you coukd benifit from it in the long run....maintenence washes are so much easier

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast