autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Wash Mitt Battle

Let me first start off by saying that before I knew any better, last year I picked up a "microfiber" wash mitt from AutoZone or wherever and realized that as soon as I dunked it in water, the mitt only had very few fibers covering the surface. The mitt looked like it had these dreadlocks, but once wet you could tell they were spaced far apart and really didn't provide good surface area coverage.

So, I found a wool mitt that I had kicking around. It wasn't even new, but I always take care of my stuff. Fast forward to this past week, and I washed my wife's CX-5 using this old mitt and ONLY a single bucket. After wiping each panel I would, however, rinse the mitt off with the hose so as to simulate a 2-bucket method.

I was CERTAIN I would be installing a little bit of micro marring. But after inspecting the car for a few days in various light conditions I can confidently say I am surprised and shocked at that I did NOT mess the paint up.

Which leads me to post this. These wool mitts seemed to have worked for me very well in the past, and even now. It's what I used on my old Mazda3 which was flawless, and back then I don't think I was using a 2-bucket method at all.

What are you all using as wash media? Are any of you fans of the wool, or has microfiber been your weapon of choice?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wash Mitt Battle

The microfiber chenille, a.k.a dreadlocks, mitt has been my weapon of choice for a long time. No issues with them and I've bought them from a variety of places over the years.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

3. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a number of the chenille "dreadlocks" but they just don't slide over the surface as effortlessly as the cotton chenille I get at Ace.

I recently found what I've been looking for for wheels. Chemical Guys added a fluffy wash glove at allows me to get in and around the spokes of my chrome wheels easily.

Wash Mitt Battle-wash-mits-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a wool pad guy... Never understood the mitt thing. Even if I have a mitt I use it like a pad.

As for the microfiber, I never liked the looks of those dreadlocks and don't see how they can provide as uniform coverage as a wool pad.

And to the OP, it doesn't surprise me at all that you can't find any marring from your wash job. Unless you use a really contaminated wash media, the typical marring from washing occurs over a long period of time and several washes, not in a single wash.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    I'm a wool pad guy... Never understood the mitt thing. Even if I have a mitt I use it like a pad.
    I'm with you on that, I do the same thing without realizing it; I never stuck my hand in it to use as a mitt.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm wondering if Chemical Guys pay Billy Joel royalties for that mitt, LOL

Post Thanks / Like

I have SO many wool mitts it’s nuts. I have them labeled as to which part of the car I wash with and I ALWAYS use multiple mitts and my extreme wash method.

Once my wool mitts wear away I will go microfiber because an impressive video I saw showed how great they really are. I wish I had the link saved but it has been posted here before.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, my favorite is the white Meguiars MF mitt. It's thick enough to be safe and releases dirt more easily than any other one I've tried. I also have one of the Griot's MF mitts. It's much thicker MF nap, but it's gray in color, so dirt doesn't show as well, which is a negative for me, doing mostly rinseless washes. The Blackfire mitt is another good one, but it doesn't release light dirt as easily as the Megs.
    Back around 2011-2012, when Megs released their D114 Rinseless Wash, a few of the Meguiars guys did a presentation with Mike Phillips at AG and I remember them saying the mitt was designed with a weave that traps dirt, but releases it easily also.
    I've found that to be true and both my cars are dark colors one Black DD and my Burgundy Camino.

Bill

10. Likes fly07sti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    The microfiber chenille, a.k.a dreadlocks, mitt has been my weapon of choice for a long time. No issues with them and I've bought them from a variety of places over the years.
    Agree 100%, Nate.

I have never had one issue with the "noodle" or "dredlock" mitts. And they are cheap enough that I can use them for one season, then demote them to wheel duty without regret.....
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast