autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

3D One w/ 3D Polishing Foam Pad

I'm looking to do my 2nd annual detail on my black F150. I have some very light swirls I'd like to remove while also prepping the paint for Meguiars M27 sealent.

Will 3D One with a 3D foam polishing pad leave swirls that would require another step to clear up? The instructions on the bottle only make mention of using it as a compound with a cutting pad and then using with a finishing pad for a 2nd step. I'd like to keep with only doing a polish and then finish with the M27. I know black paint can be a PIA.

The reason I'm using the 3D One is because I still have an unopened bottle that never got used. I read the thread on here by Mike about synergy between products so I wouldn't be against getting some M210 to use instead. But not if it isn't necessary.

Thanks!!!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips

Re: 3D One w/ 3D Polishing Foam Pad

Quote Originally Posted by Mikem3574 View Post

Will 3D One with a 3D foam polishing pad leave swirls that would require another step to clear up?

Hi Mike,

3D One is a very good product. A personal favorite of mine. It uses top shelf abrasive technology, super long buffing cycle, zero dusting and easy wipe-off.

Because it's a compound/polish - it's not the most aggressive compound available but simply vary the pad or tool or even technique to get more or less cut.

I completely understand wanting to ONLY do ONE step before going to the LSP with large vehicles. So here's what you do...

Test Spot

After you've prepped the paint for polishing, do a Test Spot on the hood. Use the product like you expect to use it over the entire truck to just one small area. Wipe off the residue and inspect the results. If it looks GREAT - then you have the CONFIDENCE to repeat the process over the rest of the truck knowing you'll get the same great results.

3. Thanks Mikem3574 thanked for this post
    Likes Mikem3574 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

One more before I get back to the 1994 Alfa Romeo I'm detailing in the garage today.

Watch the video in this article. It shows you EXACTLY how to do a Test Spot as well as everything else you're going to do to the truck.

Best video ever on how to machine buff a car from start to finish

5. Thanks Mikem3574 thanked for this post
    Likes Mikem3574 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    One more before I get back to the 1994 Alfa Romeo I'm detailing in the garage today.

Watch the video in this article. It shows you EXACTLY how to do a Test Spot as well as everything else you're going to do to the truck.

Best video ever on how to machine buff a car from start to finish

Great video. Watched in full. Covered all the bases.

Took your advice on doing a test spot. I had a lil bit of difficulty spotting the micro marring that my 3D polishing foam pad & 3D One left behind, while using my swirl finder light stick (it might be junk). Eventually I caught the sun at the right angle and caught it.

My primary purpose for polishing was to prep for Megs M27 sealant. I had some light swirls so I had hoped to clear up the swirls in one step and move on to the M27. I did not have the time for a 2 step.

I was a bit surprised that the 3D one with polishing pad did not clear up the light swirls. My black Ford Tuxedo paint seems to be a bit of a PIA to work with. I've yet to find a product that can clear up light swirls without leaving any marring behind. Do you or anyone else reccomend something that works well for 1 stepping black paint with very light swirls? Or is it 2 step or bust for this F150?

I ended up using the 3D One with a 3D finishing pad and then just applying the m27. I'm happy with the results for how much time I had to dedicate to the job. Griots g9 was used also.

Post Thanks / Like

Great video. Watched in full. Covered all the bases.

Took your advice on doing a test spot. I had a lil bit of difficulty spotting the micro marring that my 3D polishing foam pad & 3D One left behind, while using my swirl finder light stick (it might be junk). Eventually I caught the sun at the right angle and caught it.

My primary purpose for polishing was to prep for Megs M27 sealant. I had some light swirls so I had hoped to clear up the swirls in one step and move on to the M27. I did not have the time for a 2 step.

I was a bit surprised that the 3D one with polishing pad did not clear up the light swirls. My black Ford Tuxedo paint seems to be a bit of a PIA to work with. I've yet to find a product that can clear up light swirls without leaving any marring behind. Do you or anyone else reccomend something that works well for 1 stepping black paint with very light swirls? Or is it 2 step or bust for this F150?

I ended up using the 3D One with a 3D finishing pad and then just applying the m27. I'm happy with the results for how much time I had to dedicate to the job. Griots g9 was used also.

Any polish is pad dependent. Some just finish out better than others. The paint hardness is always a variable on the amount of correction and the finish.

By the way did you do a panel wipe prior to applying M27?

8. Likes Mikem3574 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Any polish is pad dependent. Some just finish out better than others. The paint hardness is always a variable on the amount of correction and the finish.

By the way did you do a panel wipe prior to applying M27?
    I've yet to find a polish/pad combo that can pull light swirls out and not mar the paint on this truck. It always takes me 2 steps.

I did not do a panel wipe before the m27. I didn't see that on the directions or in any of the videos I watched about applying m27. Do you reccomend it?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have the bottle in front of me at the moment so I can not recall if it recommends one or not. It would not be a bad idea though. I am sure you would be ok.

11. Likes Mikem3574 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I don't have the bottle in front of me at the moment so I can not recall if it recommends one or not. It would not be a bad idea though. I am sure you would be ok.
    The Meguiars forum stated that no Megs LSP's require wipedowns. The bottle doesn't mention it either. It does reccomend at least 1 step on the bottle but they say in the forum that it can be used over other waxes so it's a bit confusing.

I'll give it a shot next time. Would Griots Speed Detailer he considered a wipe down? I have a bottle still from when I clay.

I wasn't super impressed with the m27 compared to other Si02's I've used in the past but it still hasnt reached the 24 hr threshold for curing.

Hopefully I can find a good polish that will work for a 1 step. Blackfire was reccomended for black paint in another thread. My truck is a crew cab, long bed do a 2 step takes quite a bit of time to just get rid of some light swirls.

Post Thanks / Like

I've yet to find a polish/pad combo that can pull light swirls out and not mar the paint on this truck. It always takes me 2 steps.

I did not do a panel wipe before the m27. I didn't see that on the directions or in any of the videos I watched about applying m27. Do you reccomend it?

Prep Wipe/Wash After 3D ONE ?