autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Detail over multiple weeks?

Hi all

I’m planning on using up my bottle of CarPro lite on my wife’s car. Due to our schedule and her needing access to her car I am planning on doing a full detail over the next 4-6 weeks or so breaking the car up in quarters or fifths by panels (roof, front, back, passenger side, drivers side etc). The car lives outside 24/7.

Just wondering how people in my situation have done this in terms of the detailing process to maximize use of their time? Or any general advice much appreciated from those with more experience/knowledge than me.

I am thinking of breaking it up as follows:

Weekend 1: Full (entire car) decon wash, iron x, clay, tar etc.

Proceeding weekends wash the whole car then polish section of car, 2 coats of lite then a coat of reload.

Repeat until whole car is done.

My concern here is that if it takes me 5-6 weeks to get around the car, by the time I get to my last weeks, will there be fresh contaminants that will present problems during polishing?

I have thought maybe that just doing a decon wash/iron x etc in one go and then before polishing each panel to clay. This to me would be more time consuming then just doing the whole decon in one go, but if it has to be done then that is that.

Planning on just putting some sort of QD (with protection) or quick wax on the car after the decon to see it through to polishing. Ideally I’d like to strip it during decon and polish the paint stripped, but then the car would be sitting with no protection on some panels for 5-6 weeks or so. Going to have to rely on the polishing process to remove the ‘light’ temporary protection on each panel each weekend.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detail over multiple weeks?

I don’t think it matters how you divide it up , other than the same day that you polish the panel, it needs to be coated same day so that it’s sealed. Then the next day move on to another panel.
    Glen -

3. Thanks rover137 thanked for this post
    Likes Klasse Act, rover137 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Since I don’t have a lot of energy, I always break it up. I use ONR and do a panel at a time going through whatever steps I’m going t9 use. One thing I’d suggest if it’s going to take that long, I wouldn’t decon/clay the whole car. Instead. I’d do those two steps only to the panel you’re a little to correct, especially if the car lives outside.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I was thinking that except for if I’m washing two panels and get all the gear set up I may as well do the whole car before each polishing session.

I guess in my way of thinking it just limits the ‘polishing’ days and gives me more time to just polish then do the whole process across a couple panels. I was worried about getting iron x and tar x on other panels if I was doing the whole process in one day so thought maybe knocking out the decon in one go could work. Might be better doing it all in one day though as that would limit contaminants before polishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Let your wife borrow your car and you can focus on hers. Or decon it on one day and the polish and apply one layer in the next day.

Post Thanks / Like

She can’t drive my car as it’s a manual, otherwise that would be ideal.

Due to both our work hours, daylight etc I will only get it for 3-4hrs on either a Saturday/Sunday (depending on work sometimes not even that) at the end of the day in the early arvo. Maybe better to just keep using the Sio2 spray I’ve been using and forget about it haha

Post Thanks / Like

Then polish it one weekend and coat it the following weekend after a wash and panel wipe. The paint won't fall off without anything on it.

9. Likes rover137, bob m liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, something like that might be the best bet. The only thing is I can’t polish her whole car in one of the 3-4 hr slots I will get so the polishing phase we have to be over a couple of weekends to a month. I can decon wash in 3-4 hrs though. Maybe decon wash, iron x etc all in one slot - then each proceeding weekend quick wash, clay panels to be polished, coat - done?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rover137 View Post
    Yeah, something like that might be the best bet. The only thing is I can’t polish her whole car in one of the 3-4 hr slots I will get so the polishing phase we have to be over a couple of weekends to a month. I can decon wash in 3-4 hrs though. Maybe decon wash, iron x etc all in one slot - then each proceeding weekend quick wash, clay panels to be polished, coat - done?
    Don’t fret it so much:
    Do the best you can when time allows.

Shoot...
    I’m still trying to catch up on all of the
    detailing stuff left over from last fall.

”Life is so brief; and Time is a thief...”
    ~’Young Turks’; Rod Stewart (ca. 1981)

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

12. Thanks rover137 thanked for this post
    Likes bob m liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks mate, appreciate that.

It gets a bit like that! There is always something to do if you take pride in your car and want it looking at its best! Work, family and all the other commitments in life sometimes don’t allow for a whole 8-10 hrs in one lot dedicated to detailing.

My car is more manageable as I don’t work weekends and can plan for it more easily.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast