autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Any benefit for replacing my old PC DA?

I bought a porter cable DA in about 2005-6 - not sure of the model but I think they’ve updated it. I see a lot of new (to me) da’s with longer throw and more power (thinking rupes big foot & the flex models). How much benefit would I see with these over my old PC?

I’m no pro and this is just maintaining our cars at a fairly high level*. We have an ‘08 MINI convertible in Astro Black, a ‘14 Lincoln Navigator in black, and an Aegean blue (iirc) ‘17 Honda Civic. I’m also looking at getting a red Ford Ranger.

* They aren’t kept as pristinely after a heart attack and an IED.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Any benefit for replacing my old PC DA?

I started on a PC as well. I upgraded to a Griots G9 and it was nice. It’s not a tool I’d use for a business, but it’s a nice upgrade from a PC. Great ergonomics and more power.

If you’re willing to spend 400-600 dollars on a tool to keep your own vehicles nice, then of course, a Rupes or Flex will make you very happy. You will need to spend 100-200 in addition on appropriate pads and accessories, though.

I used my LC flat pads from my PC and they worked well with the G9.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Thanks Texchappy thanked for this post
    Likes Texchappy, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Only you can determine whether spending the money for a new polisher will be worth it to you. Are you still pretty happy with your PC? I'll share my recent experience.

I too keep my family cars pristine by polishing them out every 18~24 months and keeping them coated. I've also recently co-detailed a friends car cars for fun, and done a couple neighbor's vehicles for money. My previous weapon was a Harbor Freight DA polisher, not that different from the PC.

While working on one of the paid jobs I realized I was having to work really hard with my HF polisher, it was heavy, loud, and not the best ergonomics. That started me thinking about a new polisher, and more specifically, one with a longer throw to speed up the work regardless of what I'm doing. This lead to a purchase of a Griots G15. First time out of the box the new polisher was a game changer. The power and the longer throw really spead up the work, but the ergonomics made using it so much easier and enjoyable.

I've kept the old polisher and will probably put a 3" backing plate on it and use it for headlights and other small areas.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

5. Thanks Texchappy thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric7810 View Post
    I started on a PC as well. I upgraded to a Griots G9 and it was nice. It’s not a tool I’d use for a business, but it’s a nice upgrade from a PC. Great ergonomics and more power.

If you’re willing to spend 400-600 dollars on a tool to keep your own vehicles nice, then of course, a Rupes or Flex will make you very happy. You will need to spend 100-200 in addition on appropriate pads and accessories, though.

I used my LC flat pads from my PC and they worked well with the G9.

I have those LC flat pads and some LC hydro tech pads. Will they not work on the Rupes or Flex?

Post Thanks / Like

They’ll work, i tried it. I just don’t think they’re the best. I use a Flex 3401 for my side business and invested in the LC Force Hybrid pads. The were basically engineered for top performance with a Flex.

I have to remember though, if I were just maintaining my own vehicles I’d probably just be happy with the flats.

I can’t speak to the Rupes system, I don’t know anything about it.

8. Thanks Texchappy thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

By the way, Flex doesn’t sell a 5.5” backer, rather a 5”. Strange.

I swap pads out very frequently on a job, most of the time one pad per panel. If you don’t swap often, I’d imagine your flats will start to mushroom with hard use on a Flex.

I bought the 5” backer to use with my 5.5” flats. Here’s how it lines up.

10. Thanks Texchappy thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys liked this post