autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Question re Road Grime, Ph Neutral Soaps, and APCs

I am planning on detailing a family member's white Audi A6 that has not been that well maintained. I want to get the paint squeaky clean. I plan to decontaminate using a clay bar and an iron remover. My question has to do with the wash.

For the wash, I have a Ph neutral car soap. I have heard that although Ph neutral soaps don't degrade sealants and waxes, they also don't clean as well and may not remove all road grime. So I was thinking of pre-rinsing the car with an All Purpose Cleaner before the wash. I have Meguiars D101 APC and Optimum Power Clean. I was hoping to get some advice:

1) Will pre-rinsing the car with an APC followed by a wash with a Ph neutral soap get the paint as clean as possible, or should I use a non-Ph neutral soap?

2) In addition to the pre-rinse, should I also add a couple ounces of APC to the wash soap solution?

3) Any thoughts on Meguiars D101 vs Optimum Power Clean for this purpose? is OPC safer for paint?

4) What dilution ratio should I use the APC at for this purpose?

5) Is an APC pre-rinse like this safe for PPF?

Thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions,
    joebruin77

PS and for those into the Final Four, GO BRUINS!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question re Road Grime, Ph Neutral Soaps, and APCs

You could go through all of that or you could simply wash 3 times with decontamination system- Valugard ABC. Its steps include an acid step, alkaline step, and neutral step. I think that's everything you want in three easy steps. Might be worth while checking it out since its approved by auto manufacturers.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

3. Thanks joebruin77 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    You could go through all of that or you could simply wash 3 times with decontamination system- Valugard ABC. Its steps include an acid step, alkaline step, and neutral step. I think that's everything you want in three easy steps. Might be worth while checking it out since its approved by auto manufacturers.
    I’ve seen you mention it before. Where to buy?

Post Thanks / Like

You have to Google it for the Valugard/ Automotive International site.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joebruin77 View Post
    I am planning on detailing a family member's white Audi A6 that has not been that well maintained. I want to get the paint squeaky clean. I plan to decontaminate using a clay bar and an iron remover. My question has to do with the wash.

For the wash, I have a Ph neutral car soap. I have heard that although Ph neutral soaps don't degrade sealants and waxes, they also don't clean as well and may not remove all road grime. So I was thinking of pre-rinsing the car with an All Purpose Cleaner before the wash. I have Meguiars D101 APC and Optimum Power Clean. I was hoping to get some advice:

1) Will pre-rinsing the car with an APC followed by a wash with a Ph neutral soap get the paint as clean as possible, or should I use a non-Ph neutral soap?

2) In addition to the pre-rinse, should I also add a couple ounces of APC to the wash soap solution?

3) Any thoughts on Meguiars D101 vs Optimum Power Clean for this purpose? is OPC safer for paint?

4) What dilution ratio should I use the APC at for this purpose?

5) Is an APC pre-rinse like this safe for PPF?

Thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions,
    joebruin77

PS and for those into the Final Four, GO BRUINS!!!
    Really won't make much of a difference. I usually pre-soak the car with a 10:1 ratio APC that I simply spray on after the initial rinse. It will help. Otherwise, don't over think it. Wash the entire car, grab a glass of water while it drips dry for a few minutes. Iron X rinse and then nano mitt / clay bar the car. Dry off and blow out any residual water. Then it's go-time for a polisher.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

7. Thanks joebruin77 thanked for this post
    Likes Bobh59 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I sometimes use powerclean on lower panels to pre treat really dirty panels. It is not recommended to let powerclean sit on too long on glass from Optimum so I generally avoid the top half of the vehicle all together. There are two products I use to pre soak the vehicle (with a foam cannon) prior to a contact wash.... 3D Pre soak or Purple Power Heavy-duty Vehicle And Boat Pressure Wash Concentrate. Both products are higher on the PH scale and will degrade some old waxes and sealants. They both do a pretty good job of softening dirt and road grime so that the next step (contact wash) would be safer.

3D Pre soak is heavily concentrated ... 1 oz to 5 gallons of water and Purple Power not so much. I use very little product for 3D one in my foam cannon but for purple power... straight into the foam cannon bottle with no dilution. 3D Pre soak is cheaper in the long run but then Purple power is under 10 dollars per gallon at Wal#%&T.

Please keep this in mind.... I dont use these products for maintenance washes. Its part of my prep (along with both chemical and mechanical decontamination) in getting the vehicle ready for corrections.

9. Thanks joebruin77 thanked for this post