autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Need a little advise

New guy here. Not a novice but an enthusiast. I've been detailing my own trucks for years but never really got into paint correction. I need to now.
    I've got a 2018 Black Silverado.
    It's sitting on 38" tires with 10.5" of lift.
    I bought it new and had it ceramic coated (CarPro) when it was new and it has run its course.
    The paint is in good shape still but has swirls and minor scuff marks here and there
    Has a few rock chips that I plan on fixing before I do anything else.
    My plan was to wash with Dawn, decontaminate with Chemical Guys Decon pro iron remover. Then clay and polish with Meguiars 205. I don't have a polisher but am thinking about a Porter Cable 7424xp. Then top coat with Chemical Guys Hydro Slick Ceramic Coating hyperwax after wiping down with an IPA.
    I'm not expecting a miracle with the CG Hydro Slick but I am hoping it will be better than a basic caranuba.
    Here's a pic after it was coated.
    And another pic how it sits today.
    Any input from you guys would be appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips

Re: Need a little advise

Nice looking truck. Mike jealous.

You process sounds sound.

Machine polishing is really not that hard and the Porter Cable on speed 6 with thin foam pads will easily handle all those huge flat panels.

Watch this video from start to finish - it will show and explain in detail exactly how to tackle your truck with a PC. Substitute any compounds, polishes and LSPs for what I show in the video.

3. Likes dieselfan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Nice looking truck. Mike jealous.

You process sounds sound.

Machine polishing is really not that hard and the Porter Cable on speed 6 with thin foam pads will easily handle all those huge flat panels.

Watch this video from start to finish - it will show and explain in detail exactly how to tackle your truck with a PC. Substitute any compounds, polishes and LSPs for what I show in the video.

I didn't expect an instant response from the Master. Thank you Sir.
    I'll be watching the video today.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the hardest part will be doing the hood while standing on a front tire.
    The hood is almost six feet from the ground
    Need a little advise

Mike Phillips

More...

A brand new PC in the box comes with a one-time use foam polishing pad where the backing plate is GLUED to the foam. You'll need a real backing plate. I always recommend 5" backing plates for this type of tool. The enables you to use the smaller 5.5" foam pads and this tool has an easier time of maintaining pad rotation with smaller, thinner pads.

From this article, (Griot's G6 is now discontinued but same "type" of tool as the PC)

Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner by Mike Phillips

Here's a great backing plate,

Lake Country 5" Backing Plate

Here are some very simple but effective foam pads.

Lake Country 5.5" Flat pads

I'd recommend getting 6 orange and 6 white. You need lots of pads for a truck this size. Trying to use just one or two pads will destroy the pads and after a pad becomes WET with the product you're using it becomes useless as it stops doing what it's suppose to do.

Autogeek offers a 6-pad package for most pad options.

TONS of info in this one single article by the way. In fact, try to find the volume of info anywhere else on a single page anywhere on the Internet.

Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner by Mike Phillips

7. Likes dieselfan1 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by dieselfan1 View Post

I think the hardest part will be doing the hood while standing on a front tire.

The hood is almost six feet from the ground

I'm a tick familiar with this type of detailing.

1987 Chevy 4x4 Monster Truck "Before & After" Pictures

Go to Lowes or Home Depot and get a couple of Werner Work Platforms. Cheap for what they can do.

But yeah... standing on a tire is doable.

I miss this style of truck - but I sold it because I'm a HEI distributor/carburetor guy and I never want to mess with a fuel injected system in a monster truck again.

This is more my style,

I cut the top off of this 1971 Chevy 3/4 Ton 4x4 and had a custom half cab soft top made for it.

When I moved to Florida from California, I shipped out my old 2-door Jimmy, full convertible. I removed the hardtop and SOLD it while in California. Before moving to Florida I removed the 350 small block and gave it away and then installed a 468 BIG BLOCK.

So yeah, I"m kind of a convertible guy and besides the 1975 Jimmy shown above, I've owned,

1969 Blazer CST - Full Convertible

1973 Jimmy Full Convertible

1973 Blazer 2-wheel drive - Full Convertible

So yeah, I'm a little experienced with detailing monster trucks.

9. Likes dieselfan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is my 16th Chevy truck. I've owned nothing but Bowties
    Most were new when I bought them so I've always had to keep them looking good.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my other 2018. This was #15.
    It's my wife's daily and don't nearly get the attention the big black one gets.
    I need to change that. It could use a little help too.

Mike Phillips

Great looking trucks.

If you're physically fit - I'd highly recommend getting a Porter Cable and take-on the ownership of detailing them yourself.

If you want to keep it simple, instead of using the Meguiar's M205 - get a quart or two of the BLACKFIRE One Step. This will compound, polish and protect the paint in one step. It really works well.

Also - when it comes to doing rock chip repair - the normal process is to do all the paint correction, polishing and sealing of the paint and then do the rock chip repair. Here's my in-depth article on this topic with videos too...

How to use the Dr. ColorChip Paint Chip Repair Systems

13. Thanks dieselfan1 thanked for this post
    Likes dieselfan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I also have a couple cases of Lucas Slick Mist wax spray that I got a killer deal on. Is this stuff any good in your opinion? I kind of use this as a detail spray not really expecting it to be a very good wax. Can I use this over the CG ceramic coating Hyperwax?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast